The UPS Store Reviews | Glassdoor

The UPS Store Reviews

Updated April 30, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • No Benefits package at my particular store (in 55 reviews)

• Starting salary is low but there is room for advancement (in 22 reviews)

1. "Good First Job to get lots of experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I worked at The UPS Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to know multiple things that will be beneficial to you at other jobs. Flexible hours especially if you are going to school or have a child.

Cons

There's a lot going on: packing, shipping, notarization, printing, faxing, copying, mail sorting and it can be a lot to keep track of and your don't get paid well enough for it and crappy benefits. Christmas of course is peak season and things can escalate pretty quick when a package is late or goes missing.

Advice to Management

Make sure your store is well staffed during busy hours and stay consistent with pricing especially with frequent customers like mailbox customers. Keep an eye out for your competition like other UPS Stores.

"Positive work environment, good experience, unfortunately a lot of corporate influence"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at The UPS Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really do enjoy working at The Ups Store. I've learned incredible amounts of useful skills such as printing, graphic design, packing, and many other random "office" skills. I have learned sales and customer service. Work environment has almost always been positive and I genuinely enjoy what I do.

Cons

Unfortunately the franchise owner of the 3 stores I work at really does not care about his employees and seems to only care about sales. After looking at other hourly wages for other ups stores I realized I've been being underpaid significantly for the past 9 months. I haven't really seen any opportunity to move up after getting manager training which doesn't look very promising to me since I won't even be earning $1 over minimum wage to be a manager of my own store as well as helping 2 other stores. As a whole the ups store seems to be pretty heavily regulated by cooperate (at least that's what I am told by my boss) and that is the reason why sales are so heavily stressed. All we do all day is try to up sell shipping and packing and if our sales average and overall store sales are not a certain amount we are criticised and I have been threatened with being fired.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well and you will find the ones that work hard and will help you out. Sales are important but it'll be easier to get those up with happier employees.

3. "The UPS Store was a great place to work for a college student."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I worked at The UPS Store part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to work with the manager to have a schedule that fit with my course schedule and continually take on more tasks.

Cons

It is retail and a lot of the customers do not understand the shipping process which makes customer service a challenge at times, but provides good experience.

5. "I was able to gain a lot of valuable experience owning a The UPS Store franchise."

Former Employee - Owner/Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Owner/Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being my own boss and being in charge of my store and being in charge of my own employees. Being a small business owner.

Cons

Not be able to "think outside the box" but rather being tied down to a set way of doing things.

Advice to Management

Listen to your owners more. They are in the field and are aware of what works and what doesn't.

6. "Better than flipping burgers, probably"

Former Employee - International Shipping Specialist/Evening Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours are usually flexible, you technically make more than minimum wage... Honestly, if you don't like customer service there's not a whole lot here.

Cons

Customers. Dealing with having UPS branded on you, but not actually being UPS. The holiday rush. Busy-work. Customers.

Advice to Management

There isn't any, because these stores are all franchises. A job with high turnover, with employees stuck halfway between customer service and shipping logistics.

7. "Loved the job and co-workers, but not the owner or corporate."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD

I worked at The UPS Store part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job itself is great. Pretty relaxed and easy--though there is a lot to learn and you're never not learning new things. In the world of shipping, rules change regularly. My co-workers were awesome.

Cons

The owner is unbelievable in every possible meaning of the word. If you like being treated like a child, talked down to, insulting behind your back (she says things where she thinks you don't hear, or people tell you what she said while you're not there), and more, this is a good place for you.

Customers can be beyond stressful sometimes. The UPS Store and UPS are two different companies and they have different rules, but they don't understand that and will never believe you.

Advice to Management

Maybe need to be a bit more decisive. But mainly, they need to all be on the same page. It's tiresome hearing three different things and getting in trouble constantly for going with the most recent.

8. "Not Great for Graphic Designers"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Mooresville, NC

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I got to meet a lot of interesting people; famous race car drivers, NFL players, musicians, actors, etc..

Cons

- Low pay

-No advancement

-No benefits

-No set breaks

-No paid vacation

-No paid days off; not even federal holidays. You are just out and have short paychecks.

-Managment too lax on making employees to be there on time. Me and one other person would open in the morning. I was always about 20min early while the other one was always 20-40min late. The person always overslept. We would have irate customers in the morning waiting at the door. I complained to the manager but she didn't care. Funny, the person seemed to be able to get up on time if they knew the owner was going to be there at 8:00am.

9. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Akron, OH

I have been working at The UPS Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good boss and our store was very busy, it was not boring

Cons

Retail/dealing with the public and corporate limitations, salary, no advancement...

Advice to Management

Listen more

10. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Clerk in Benton, AR
    Former Employee - Clerk in Benton, AR

I worked at The UPS Store (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome management, involved owners. Helpful staff. My direct supervisor and boss was very understanding of the fact I had several health issues and kept me on right up till the point when I had to quit. Very nice owners, who took pride in their store and their employees.

Cons

Not much on the downside for this employer. The mail room was a bit of a mess but they were fixing that as I was leaving. Overall a great team to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! You guys were amazing and very understanding of my situation. I appreciate everything y'all did for me.

11. "Sales Associate and Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Marietta, GA

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Customers come to these stores usually.

Cons

The cons would be that I never had a schedule in advance. Was difficult to plan doctor appointments etc... My boss was a District Manager over 42 stores so we were always busy. But there was never enough coverage to implement new ideas into the store. We could sell a whole lot more if we offered more.

Advice to Management

Need a lot more marketing and offer more time for employees to train/ double up on employees so they can learn and sell other services, Great opportunity to sell more services.