The United States Pharmacopeia Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ronald T Piervincenzi

Pros
  • The company really cares about work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• They have a lot of great benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • In spite of its long history and critical role in public health and pharmaceutical standards, USP is not well-known (in 10 reviews)

• Some of the senior management that did not function well under last CEO still here (in 8 reviews)

1. "Important Public Health Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Important mission, well-educated employees, a large of number of outside experts create USP standards, great benefits, especially healthcare and retirement benefits.

Cons

USP has always been very fast paced and some employees find this difficult to manage. Exponential growth also can be difficult for some.

Advice to Management

USP's management should stay focused on its mission to improve public health globally. Employees and volunteers are important to USP's future well-being.

"Blowing Smoke"

Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Are diminishing by the day

Cons

Work/life balance has all but disappeared. Newbies arrive thinking long-time staff is resistant to changes but they are actually the ones who are turning uo their noses to hard work and success that were accomplished long before their arrival. They assume they know more, are more qualified than the folks who did the heavy lifting before half of them even knew what a USP was. They also think their bringing "new" ideas and skill set. Same thing, different day. Little to nothing new except all the consultants, friends of Mckenzie. Some staff working hard for years, consistantly receives "exceeds" and "outstanding" performance evaluations but given no promotion. Not even given salary raise!! Secretaries getting promos and higher salaries than scientists. Faves of the CEO, CSO and other higher ups even though they don't have qualifications or experience, no college degree. Nepotism in full effect from day one with this CEO. Vast majority of hiring from outside. So much for promoting from within. Now directed everyone to slow spending but still paying consultants hundreds of thousands of dollars. HUGE waste of money. Won't last at this rate. Will be like 2008 all over again. While teachers pets will survive cuts hard working people will suffer for leadership lack of ability to properly manage. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Advice to Management

This is not your personal chapter of a fraternity or sorority. This is neither a joke nor a ridiculous reality show. People's livelihoods and future are at stake. Stop with the fun and games and get serious about managing the organization properly so that SOMETHING significant is accomplished besides buying new office furniture or arranging yet another party. Drinking and dancing with your employees doesn't make you cool. You want to be cool? Stop dragging this out for your entertainment. Do the right thing. THAT would be cool because right now, you kind of suck.

"An Organization Growing by Leaps and Bounds"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits (hard to match anywhere). Great people and mission. A lot of events and perks that you don't find companies doing for their employees anymore that you do find here.

Cons

There is definitely a group of employees who relish the old days and are resisting the good changes being brought in to keep USP current. It can be hard to come up against the resisters when you know the new direction is right, even if the changes are difficult and sometimes overwhelming to implement.

Advice to Management

Manage the pace of change- there is a lot going on and it can be hard to keep up.

"Growing pains"

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Summer hours
    Sick and vacation time are separate

Cons

Poor infastruture
    Little or poor processes in place
    Limited opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Focus on the infastruture it is very outdated and affecting all staff. Organization is growing but not sure if it is in the right areas or strategically for future sustainability.

"Slow Down Staff Are Not Machines"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Rockville, MD

Pros

Climbing too fast. Expectations were unrealistic. People are not robots.
    Propaganda. Too many buzz words. This is not consulting. Staff burned out.

Cons

Good benefits. Telework options. Diverse and very nice staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Truly listen and trust them. Take care of them from a salary perspective. Invest in them. They are your biggest assets.

"What you preach and what you do must match"

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Hardworking people in the ranks who want to work well together and make it a pleasant experience. Work life balance.

Cons

Senior management turns a blind eye to program unit heads who are clearly unqualified for the job and are wreaking confusion and making life difficult for all concerned. Be wary of the new infrastructure and marketing units. The leaders are arrogant, unresponsive and pursuing their own agenda. The CEO and executive team have ignored persistent incompetence and unprofessional conduct over a period of time. Buzzwords like winning ambitions, shared success planning, high performance culture, core values mean nothing unless there is true accountability. The buck stops or is passed to the ranks and senior directors get away doing what they want the way they want in their own little world assured that no harm will come to them. Everyone else sees this and how the executive team turns a blind eye.

Advice to Management

Stop turning a blind eye. Some program units are a joke and you must know that or you are really tuned out.

8. "Developer III"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Good benefits. Good culture.

Cons

Expensive location to live and work. Upward mobility feels limited.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at The United States Pharmacopeia (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work there and the mission of USP.

Cons

None. I don't have any "Cons".

"View from a long-time employee"

Current Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia (Less than a year)

Pros

I've seen much at USP having been here for over a decade. We are finally (finally) looking at USP, our operations, our impact, and our possibilities logically, positively, and urgently (yes, urgent). Our goals are very ambitious and there is a huge amount of support to get us there. The last year has been the hardest in my history at USP (except for the year of the US financial crisis). Hard, yes. Exciting, challenging, and rewarding - totally.

Cons

USP is in a transition, clearly. Transitions take time. The biggest issue I see is that the old culture or "keep your heads down and the change will pass, and I can keep doing the same thing I used to do" just isn't going to work anymore. In my opinion, it is the science division that is struggling the most with this transition, and I do not see the leadership - either at middle or upper levels, handling it well. At USP, science is the core of the core. If this area continues to resist change, we are not going to make our ambitions.

Advice to Management

Communicate better your vision (and not through the HR department) and how we are going to get there.

"Good Experience; Decent Environment; Room for improvement with management"

Pros

Lots of scope for training and learning; Great compensation with benefits; Working for a company that supports a good cause and makes a positive impact

Cons

Depends on your department (poor low-mid level mgmt in my specific area)