The United States Pharmacopeia Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Ronald T Piervincenzi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some of the senior management that did not function well under last CEO still here (in 8 reviews)

• There's been a huge hiring effort at the upper management level, while we're supposedly moving from a vertical hierarchy to a more flat one (in 5 reviews)

"Uphill journey"

I worked at The United States Pharmacopeia (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefit package is comparatively good.

Cons

My making positive impact on several fronts was seen as a threat to manager and senior colleague. They planned a covert setup to damage/bring down my performance. There were constant acts to humiliate me. Even though I achieved noticeable milestones (endorsed by several stakeholders), it was viewed as falling short on small irrelevant points. The supervisor missed the points conveyed to the team members and as a result my project got delayed. I worked very hard with members of my team to finish things on time but supervisor still complained that I am late. I left the company to save my dignity.

Advice to Management

Treat workers like human beings, not like an extension of their productivity rates.

"Contractors Treated Like Servants or Slaves"

Former Contractor - Web Content Specialist in Rockville, MD
    Former Contractor - Web Content Specialist in Rockville, MD

I worked at The United States Pharmacopeia as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice looking office with free coffee and tea

Cons

I was there on a six month contract to help with the web content. At first I was really excited to be there and contribute to the web site. However, I was treated so badly by the only two (women) people in the department I was working in that I had no choice but to leave. They barely talked to me, never invited me to one meeting, never gave me any training on their web site, yet expected me to know everything. They have a very unique web site, so someone coming in would not know it. I worked as fast and as hard as I could to make them happy. I hardly left my desk so I could get all the web requests complete. They were rude and negative people to work with. I felt I had no choice but to leave.

Advice to Management

Some of your staff, such as Directors and managers act like it is their own little fifedom at USP to do with as they wish and to treat people badly. Contractors are people too. We should not be treated rudely and with disrespect.

"Slow Down Staff Are Not Machines"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Rockville, MD

Pros

Climbing too fast. Expectations were unrealistic. People are not robots.
    Propaganda. Too many buzz words. This is not consulting. Staff burned out.

Cons

Good benefits. Telework options. Diverse and very nice staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Truly listen and trust them. Take care of them from a salary perspective. Invest in them. They are your biggest assets.

"What you preach and what you do must match"

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Hardworking people in the ranks who want to work well together and make it a pleasant experience. Work life balance.

Cons

Senior management turns a blind eye to program unit heads who are clearly unqualified for the job and are wreaking confusion and making life difficult for all concerned. Be wary of the new infrastructure and marketing units. The leaders are arrogant, unresponsive and pursuing their own agenda. The CEO and executive team have ignored persistent incompetence and unprofessional conduct over a period of time. Buzzwords like winning ambitions, shared success planning, high performance culture, core values mean nothing unless there is true accountability. The buck stops or is passed to the ranks and senior directors get away doing what they want the way they want in their own little world assured that no harm will come to them. Everyone else sees this and how the executive team turns a blind eye.

Advice to Management

Stop turning a blind eye. Some program units are a joke and you must know that or you are really tuned out.

"Not a good place for IT professional"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD

I worked at The United States Pharmacopeia (Less than a year)

Pros

Really there is nothing. Free soft drink? Who cares that.

Cons

Unfair and discriminatory hiring practice. Below market salary. Terrible working environment for contractors.

Advice to Management

Need to appreciate the hard work of every employees and contractors.

"Poor leaders especially the executive team"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission and vision to impact public health. There is a great historical opportunity for USP if the company can seize the opportunity, and realize it with a sound strategy and execution.

Cons

Very poor leaders and leadership culture....a lot of executive team members who were losers in their previous roles and got lucky and stumbled an opportunity at USP. The CSO is a joke who had no experience of management and scientific vision at all. The CEO has a lot of theories but little real life experience indeed.

Advice to Management

Get some experienced management consultants to help out.

"Just had enough!!!!"

Pros

There are a tremendous amount of really qualified, hardworking professionals within the ranks. The benefits are great and the pay is at market and in some cases above market.

Cons

After working there over five years you start realizing that things are never going to get better. You hoped a leadership change would be the panacea but the new leadership is probably more disfunctional then the old. It becomes obvious after a short time why these " highly qualified" professionals are available. Most of them are incapable of leading or not qualified for their jobs to begin with. There is not a single executive that you have confidence could make it in the real world. The CEO lives in some sort of cult of personality bubble while morale just continues to erode. Again, after five years, you quit expecting the part time Board to be the adults in the room and you start realizing they are just as culpable as the leadership.

Advice to Management

You have such a great opportunity to make a workplace that people want to be part of. Instead of listening to your high price consultants why not listen the rank and file who are working hard. Quit trying to be somebody else and just be the best USP.

"Too many unrealistic goals, too much change with no better results, a constant urge to feed the outside consultants!"

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Used to be a good place to work in but it is getting a stressful, highly political, unfair work environment. The only good thing left still is some flexible work schedule.

Cons

Good people are leaving every day due to lack of meaningful motivation. Profit making is the main focus of this non-profit now! Just go figure! It seems that the new management plans to fill the pocket of outside consultants and the USP management. Politics is running the company. Constant changes to the degree that forces you to think twice if you should still keep working in such stressful environment with no recognition. No long-term hope for the organization. They are sucking money out of it and it is a non-profit. This is when it gets funny.

Advice to Management

just continue the way you started. Eight more years to fill your pockets :) Who cares for people or the organization or public health!

"A very top heavy company"

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Benefits, good work life balance, great colleagues

Cons

This is a very top heavy company with no roles defined. There is almost always an overlap in job function which results in the job not getting done. There is also no potential for career growth as they just prefer new people vs promoting people. The current CEO is trying to run this company like a private organization ie keep reducing the bonus, salary and increase. If this is a short term career leap....go for it, but don't think of making a career here.

"Out of Control Change and Mess"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Pros

Benefits - 7.5 hour days on paper. no one works that now - good pay - diverse

Cons

Space chaos - New office layout corporate nightmare - increased workload - no rewards - new performance scale much tougher - meets expectations is doing more than job -new hires find job different from what told - corporate mindset

Advice to Management

The review that says "if you want to make a difference, work with interesting colleagues in a place that is growing, this may be a place for you" is not telling the whole story. This is a sales pitch and not an honest review. Ask people to do more and more work in a short period and don't give resources and support and results in people leaving in droves soon. Ask people to do more work while they move cubes and buildings every two months and they leave faster. Town Halls are full of vague business speak. Talk strategy all you want. To employees it just looks like change for change's sake and chaos. We were a successful nonprofit so why all the change to a corporation environment?