The United States Pharmacopeia Reviews | Glassdoor

The United States Pharmacopeia Reviews

Updated March 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The company really cares about work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• They have a lot of great benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • In spite of its long history and critical role in public health and pharmaceutical standards, USP is not well-known (in 10 reviews)

• Some of the senior management that did not function well under last CEO still here (in 8 reviews)

"View from a long-time employee"

Current Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia (Less than a year)

Pros

I've seen much at USP having been here for over a decade. We are finally (finally) looking at USP, our operations, our impact, and our possibilities logically, positively, and urgently (yes, urgent). Our goals are very ambitious and there is a huge amount of support to get us there. The last year has been the hardest in my history at USP (except for the year of the US financial crisis). Hard, yes. Exciting, challenging, and rewarding - totally.

Cons

USP is in a transition, clearly. Transitions take time. The biggest issue I see is that the old culture or "keep your heads down and the change will pass, and I can keep doing the same thing I used to do" just isn't going to work anymore. In my opinion, it is the science division that is struggling the most with this transition, and I do not see the leadership - either at middle or upper levels, handling it well. At USP, science is the core of the core. If this area continues to resist change, we are not going to make our ambitions.

Advice to Management

Communicate better your vision (and not through the HR department) and how we are going to get there.

"Good Experience; Decent Environment; Room for improvement with management"

Pros

Lots of scope for training and learning; Great compensation with benefits; Working for a company that supports a good cause and makes a positive impact

Cons

Depends on your department (poor low-mid level mgmt in my specific area)

"Not a good place for IT professional"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD

I worked at The United States Pharmacopeia (Less than a year)

Pros

Really there is nothing. Free soft drink? Who cares that.

Cons

Unfair and discriminatory hiring practice. Below market salary. Terrible working environment for contractors.

Advice to Management

Need to appreciate the hard work of every employees and contractors.

"Scientist"

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Best life and work balance

Cons

career ladder is not very clear

"Poor leaders especially the executive team"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission and vision to impact public health. There is a great historical opportunity for USP if the company can seize the opportunity, and realize it with a sound strategy and execution.

Cons

Very poor leaders and leadership culture....a lot of executive team members who were losers in their previous roles and got lucky and stumbled an opportunity at USP. The CSO is a joke who had no experience of management and scientific vision at all. The CEO has a lot of theories but little real life experience indeed.

Advice to Management

Get some experienced management consultants to help out.

"Just had enough!!!!"

Pros

There are a tremendous amount of really qualified, hardworking professionals within the ranks. The benefits are great and the pay is at market and in some cases above market.

Cons

After working there over five years you start realizing that things are never going to get better. You hoped a leadership change would be the panacea but the new leadership is probably more disfunctional then the old. It becomes obvious after a short time why these " highly qualified" professionals are available. Most of them are incapable of leading or not qualified for their jobs to begin with. There is not a single executive that you have confidence could make it in the real world. The CEO lives in some sort of cult of personality bubble while morale just continues to erode. Again, after five years, you quit expecting the part time Board to be the adults in the room and you start realizing they are just as culpable as the leadership.

Advice to Management

You have such a great opportunity to make a workplace that people want to be part of. Instead of listening to your high price consultants why not listen the rank and file who are working hard. Quit trying to be somebody else and just be the best USP.

"Lots of change, much of it not for the best"

I worked at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Some really good people work at USP. They are the biggest asset, though the company seems oblivious to that. Scientists and computer programmers have a defined path for promotion, but not others. There is an admirable mission toward supporting public health.

Cons

USP is in a continual state of flux. Since the new CEO came two years ago, the organization is on an unrelenting trajectory of "strategic realignment", much of which seems to be moving in circles. There is some good intent behind this, but most of it seems without purpose. There's been a huge hiring effort at the upper management level, while we're supposedly moving from a vertical hierarchy to a more flat one. It defies logic! The focus has become very profit-driven, unusual for a non-profit. The focus has gone from achieving excellence to "high performance", with no agreement on what that means. It seems like it's more about telling people to run faster and harder without understanding the performance expectations. It's all subjective.

I was at USP for over a decade, but I decided to get out. I fear for the future of this organization which is spending money on things that make the exterior look good, while the core is rotting away. Work-life balance is a thing of the past.

Advice to Management

Change can be good and necessary when implemented in logical increments that are understood by the staff. But that's not happening. Be more inclusive when implementing changes that impact peoples' work and wellbeing...make treating staff with respect a part of the mission.

"Too many unrealistic goals, too much change with no better results, a constant urge to feed the outside consultants!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Used to be a good place to work in but it is getting a stressful, highly political, unfair work environment. The only good thing left still is some flexible work schedule.

Cons

Good people are leaving every day due to lack of meaningful motivation. Profit making is the main focus of this non-profit now! Just go figure! It seems that the new management plans to fill the pocket of outside consultants and the USP management. Politics is running the company. Constant changes to the degree that forces you to think twice if you should still keep working in such stressful environment with no recognition. No long-term hope for the organization. They are sucking money out of it and it is a non-profit. This is when it gets funny.

Advice to Management

just continue the way you started. Eight more years to fill your pockets :) Who cares for people or the organization or public health!

"Moving On"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

Benefits, salary, flexibility, and colleagues

Cons

Perpetual change, limited growth opportunities

"A very top heavy company"

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Benefits, good work life balance, great colleagues

Cons

This is a very top heavy company with no roles defined. There is almost always an overlap in job function which results in the job not getting done. There is also no potential for career growth as they just prefer new people vs promoting people. The current CEO is trying to run this company like a private organization ie keep reducing the bonus, salary and increase. If this is a short term career leap....go for it, but don't think of making a career here.