The United States Pharmacopeia Reviews | Glassdoor

The United States Pharmacopeia Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, good work life balance for most workers (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits, flex hours, family friendly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • In spite of its long history and critical role in public health and pharmaceutical standards, USP is not well-known (in 11 reviews)

• Some of the senior management that did not function well under last CEO still here (in 9 reviews)

"Chaos"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefit package is great, but every year we pay a little more for a little less.

Cons

Decisions made by upper management aren't being fully vetted bevore they're put out to the market. We don't have the resources to support the vertical growth rate.

Middle management isn't doing a very good job communicating both to their staff and upper management, leaving a gaping hole in expectations, and creating chaos.

Advice to Management

Take the employee survey responses to heart.

"Great Benefits, Limited Advancement"

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, 401K, great people

Cons

Limited chances for advancement. Hire from outside vs. internal.

Advice to Management

Look inwards to talent.

"Scientist"

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Great company, excellent benefits, competitive

Cons

Work can be slow at times

"A good company heading in a good direction"

Pros

Overall
    - Open about communications and where the company is heading
    - Sincerely focused on process improvements and engaging, empowering employees
    - A good culture with passionate people focused on the mission
    - Great benefits, competitive salaries, and a good employee recognition system

Personally, I feel lucky to have a great director and VP focused on the mission and modeling the company's core values. This is probably shaping how positive my review is compared to others on this site.

I know the company has undergone a lot of changes and being adaptable while maintaining a sense of perspective definitely helps. Overall my experience has been very positive.

Cons

- Teams could be a bit tighter on project management/accountability and seeing the bigger picture/embracing new ways of doing things. Both new and more tenured folks need to meet each other halfway. This isn't really a con as I haven't yet been in an organization undergoing rapid change where that wasn't true.
    - I do wish teams embraced technology a bit more. In some cases there's almost a sense of stubborn pride in refusing to engage with digital tools.

Advice to Management

- A good balance of lean and design thinking/local empowerment will help teams. (You are on the right path here.)
    - Remind folks at the GLT level to consider broader impacts of projects and go to the frontline to observe/understand before rolling out initiatives that don't fully consider pain points and barriers. You can have the most genius processes in the world, if you don't consider hearts as well as minds, you will struggle with buy-in.

"Good company, not the best higher level management"

Pros

Great benefits, good work life balance for most workers

Cons

Sound upper management in this organization was lacking. They were quick to reorganize and shuffle things up, only to repeat the cycle a few weeks/months later.

"Scientist II"

Pros

It's a great company to work for.

Cons

Wish I could work from home once in awhile

"Corporate Greed Destroys Another Great Company!"

Pros

Pay, Benefits...other than that....it's just a job anymore. I lost my passion for this job when the former CEO left.

Cons

I have been at USP for almost 15 years. I came here after getting burned out in the world of the beltway bandits. USP felt like family when I came here. There was a real sense of belonging to something special. Now I feel like just a number. No matter how hard you work..no matter how much you produce, it is never enough. Good people....reliable people....people that have been there for a long time....are leaving in droves. They are milking the life out of their employees in the name of their 'High Performing Organization'....which is nothing but smoke and mirrors for their corporate greed mentality. Perhaps this is their plan...it's working. There isn't a single person I work with that isn't looking for a new job. If you are young, don't have families or other responsibilities, it's probably a decent place to start your career. But I wouldn't recommend being a USP employee to my least favorite people.

Advice to Management

You are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Your pipe dream of your high performing organization will implode when all your dedicated, institutional knowledge walks out the door. What a shame......

"Blowing Smoke"

Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time

Pros

Are diminishing by the day

Cons

Work/life balance has all but disappeared. Newbies arrive thinking long-time staff is resistant to changes but they are actually the ones who are turning uo their noses to hard work and success that were accomplished long before their arrival. They assume they know more, are more qualified than the folks who did the heavy lifting before half of them even knew what a USP was. They also think their bringing "new" ideas and skill set. Same thing, different day. Little to nothing new except all the consultants, friends of Mckenzie. Some staff working hard for years, consistantly receives "exceeds" and "outstanding" performance evaluations but given no promotion. Not even given salary raise!! Secretaries getting promos and higher salaries than scientists. Faves of the CEO, CSO and other higher ups even though they don't have qualifications or experience, no college degree. Nepotism in full effect from day one with this CEO. Vast majority of hiring from outside. So much for promoting from within. Now directed everyone to slow spending but still paying consultants hundreds of thousands of dollars. HUGE waste of money. Won't last at this rate. Will be like 2008 all over again. While teachers pets will survive cuts hard working people will suffer for leadership lack of ability to properly manage. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Advice to Management

This is not your personal chapter of a fraternity or sorority. This is neither a joke nor a ridiculous reality show. People's livelihoods and future are at stake. Stop with the fun and games and get serious about managing the organization properly so that SOMETHING significant is accomplished besides buying new office furniture or arranging yet another party. Drinking and dancing with your employees doesn't make you cool. You want to be cool? Stop dragging this out for your entertainment. Do the right thing. THAT would be cool because right now, you kind of suck.

"An Organization Growing by Leaps and Bounds"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits (hard to match anywhere). Great people and mission. A lot of events and perks that you don't find companies doing for their employees anymore that you do find here.

Cons

There is definitely a group of employees who relish the old days and are resisting the good changes being brought in to keep USP current. It can be hard to come up against the resisters when you know the new direction is right, even if the changes are difficult and sometimes overwhelming to implement.

Advice to Management

Manage the pace of change- there is a lot going on and it can be hard to keep up.

10. "Important Public Health Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at The United States Pharmacopeia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Important mission, well-educated employees, a large of number of outside experts create USP standards, great benefits, especially healthcare and retirement benefits.

Cons

USP has always been very fast paced and some employees find this difficult to manage. Exponential growth also can be difficult for some.

Advice to Management

USP's management should stay focused on its mission to improve public health globally. Employees and volunteers are important to USP's future well-being.