The University of Kansas Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Bob Page

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management makes all decisions with little or no consideration of the input from staff" (in 7 reviews)

• "Attendance policy point system is too strict" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place"

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse patient population, great staff.

Cons

RT department does not have self-scheduling.

2. "Depends on department you're in"

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System full-time

Pros

Great benefits, hours and pay

Cons

Unfair management that doesn't treat everyone equally and doesn't follow policy you are expected to follow, hasn't actually done the work themselves so uneducated on what you do yet is your supervisor, other coworkers on same level and title as you grading your work incorrectly . This was my supervisor specifically, her manager was great as were others.

Advice to Management

Find supervisors without favoritism that don't throw tantrums when things don't go their way or they are challenged, we were told to challenge but that obviously wasn't received well.

3. "A Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - G I Technician in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - G I Technician in Kansas City, KS

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The department I worked in was well managed and they cared for the employees under them. They were willing to work with people on their schedule as well as opportunities to move to other departments. Challenges were approached with a team like mentality and I felt as though my input was a necessity.

Cons

People tend to leave managers not companies. I was fortunate to be under a great manager. I left only because I had an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

4. "Rehab Tech"

Former Employee - Rehab Technician in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Rehab Technician in Kansas City, KS

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience, great chance to work very hands on with patients, great training prior to working, rehabilitation team is great!

Cons

Parking is very inconvenient and pay is a little low for the amount of tasks completed and job expectations compared to other companies

Advice to Management

raise pay just a little

5. "Registered Nurse"

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time

Pros

I love working at KU! Everyone I've worked with has been incredibly kind and welcoming. Wouldn't trade it for anything!

Cons

Parking can sometimes be a hassle.

6. "Good Place to Work"

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time

Pros

Great benefits for the price

Cons

Benefits lock you in to seeing KU Providers

7. "Great Start"

Current Employee - Catering Coordinator in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Catering Coordinator in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the benefits, pay is decent, boss is amazing

Cons

Recognition is needed more often! Higher ups don’t really pay attention to their employees

Advice to Management

Be more appreciative and start giving employee of the month recognize your employees even for just little things it goes a long way

8. "Rapidly Expanding Organization - Great Environment, Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Mission, KS

Pros

This is a growing organization that is bringing on new hires all the time. The IT organization is expanding to meet the needs of the Health System. This is a lot to learn and I'm working with a great group of people that are dedicated to their jobs.

Cons

Since it's growing rapidly, there are growing pains in determining procedures and also ownership. They are also expanding from one main location to multiple locations, and also acquiring existing health systems, so integration is an issue.

I don't see a direct correlation between performance and pay, as everyone gets a market adjustment to their salary yearly.

9. "IT is on a meteoric rise"

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Support of leadership is inherent. I've experienced very fair pay practices, even seeing pay grades change for the better due to market analysis. The IT group is growing incredibly fast and working hard to mature. It's amazing to have the growht opportunities I've always wanted. After working in a micro-management-focused organization, UKHS feels like the shackles have been removed. The only obstacle to my own growth is me. It's just great. I never thought I'd be this excited about my future as an IT professional.

Cons

Maturation across the organization is sporadic. Many areas need to mature and be more agile and professional. IT finds itself owning and driving initiatives that should really be owned by “the business”. Some old "the way we've always done it" processes. That being said, I'm confident that most groups are working just has hard as IT to better continuously better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the support. Thank you for not treating IT like a "black hole" cost center.

"Application Analyst"

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Mission, KS

Pros

Excellent place to work, good working environment

Cons

other than the low annual increment

Advice to Management

none. keep up the excellent work