The University of Kansas Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Bob Page

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Point system, compensation for added job duties (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management makes all decisions with little or no consideration of the input from staff (in 6 reviews)

"Incompetent, yet somehow arrogant, middle management. Satellite units not appropriately overseen"

Pros

Adequate insurance coverage, occasional free lunch, and a great IT department, up-to-date computer hardware and software, free water bottles often

Cons

Terrible attendance policy and the worst PTO policy I've ever heard of. They use a demerit system to punish individuals who arrive late to work or leave early, regardless of whether or not there is any work for said individual to complete. Units outside of the main campus are not appropriately supervised. Middle management behaves like a dictator on a power trip.

"Extremely Racist Health Care System I wouldn’t Recommend this place to no one"

Current Employee - Physician
    Current Employee - Physician

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off, insurance and leave of absence

Cons

Full disclosure im currently a physician white male at The University of Kansas Hospital such organization is Anti-Black, Anti-Latino, Anti Minorities.The leadership team, hiring Mangers, Human Resources; all of them have the same racist mentality nearly 98% of them are white men and white women.

Based on my observation; I think by far this is the one of the most Racist Health System in Kansas City.The health system treats Minorities employees like junk particularly black men. If you are black man you will never have success at The University of Kansas Hospital.

Inexperienced, unskilled managers. "old boys network” culture, Blatant racism organization. Total Incompetence. only the incompetent people either get promoted or keep their job. It's been proven time and time again. This is a warning Medical Professionals stay away from the University of Kansas Hospital take your talent somewhere else.

Advice to Management

The Racist culture of the Health System.may lead to unhappy employees who stop caring about their work which in turn affects patient care.unconscious bias training is paramount

"Successful worker, high marks. The coordination & communication not progressive."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kansas City, KS

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits are okay
    People afraid to talk to others

Cons

Not much healthy coworker interaction. Everyone keeps to themselves. Keep your head down
    Managers vindictive (HR)
    Attitude reflects LEADERSHIP
    HR will hang up on you if you're asking too many questions. The food service, support staff and cleaning staff get a bad wrap just because the power people complain
    Their attempting to maintain a prestigious name, but small allowance establish healthy work habits
    Tried to blend by mikicking the habits of the unhappy and unhealthy environment and could not sustain.

Advice to Management

You'll drown because good workers will not want to stay in unhealthy, unethical working environment
    You're drowning yourselves by not allowing healthy work habits

"Be careful!"

Current Employee - Outstanding Professional in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Outstanding Professional in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time

Pros

HR department, very low functioning, little progressive action or collaboration

Cons

"oh yes that department is interesting" and "very little survive working there"

Advice to management, listen to all sides of the stories. Employees are not given value or heard well. If reporting that there are any accommodations, you're terminated. Separation of employment letters not on file and termination papers may not be written by management with blurry lines...as to the accuracy or validity of the information.

Advice to Management

Have high respect for the CEO.
    Pros
    Little....good compensation
    Cons
    Too many to list, they bite at each other...by the minute

":("

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The brand might sound good.

Cons

-No raise for over a year
    -When there was a raise, it was very small
    -The administrative team do not care about their employees, it's all about the money
    -Poor staffing and hospital management do not care

Advice to Management

Give nurses a good raise.

6. "pca"

Current Employee - Pca in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Pca in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time

Pros

smart shift , able to choose some of the days you are able to work

Cons

parking is very different have to arrive early

Advice to Management

no matter what your employee title is treat them the same

"Office Specialist"

Former Employee - Maintenance Office Specialist - Dispatcher in Independence, MO

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Great co-workers. Fabulous PTO and insurance offered. Overall good environment to work and grow if you have a good supervisor.

Cons

Poorly Managed. Vindictive Human Resources Department & Upper Management. Blocks applications stating you are not qualified for open positions when you truly are qualified for them. Horrible parking and shuttle service.

Advice to Management

Not a great idea to black ball former employees and block all of their efforts when the apply for open positions.

The University of Kansas Health System Response

Mar 4, 2016 – Sr. Website Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience, specifically with human resources and upper management. Employee satisfaction is very important... More

"Coworkers in IT were great but management micromanaged, forgot great patient care was goal & were just mean sometimes."

Former Employee - Applications Analyst
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits (PTO, holidays, health insurance). Able to telecommute one day each week (...unless director decided to put a freeze on that temporarily).

Cons

PTO was also often frozen (not allowed) because of projects (but management could still use PTO). Favoritism was evident.

Advice to Management

Remember that employees who enjoy their job work twice as hard as those who don't!

"Wouldn't recommend to anyone."

Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be flexible, have great benefits, and decent service. Decent PRO accruals and it is nice working for such a well known hospital.

Cons

Management is horrible. They care little about you although they put on a good face. My manager discusses my reviews, personal medical problems, personal home life, and write up with my coworkers. She carries out personal vendettas against other staff members and goes through people's emails. Human resources is disinterested and upper management doesn't want to be bothered unless they are losing money.

Benefits started great, but have seriously declined. Their excuse is being able to afford it, but they build new multi - million dollar buildings every other year. The company is broken up into many smaller companies and the benefits differ along with company perks. They don't care for their clients until they threaten to pull their business and then only long enough to calm them down and then forget them again.

Advice to Management

Pull yourselves together. Upper management needs to take an active role in managing and regular managers need to stop ding petty children and stop acting inappropriate.

"No longer proud to say I work at KU Hospital"

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare benefits are good as long as you are seeing a KU physician

Cons

They talk a good game in orientation, but have no follow through for employee support. Employee relations is there to support management at all times. There is no room for individuality and I am not talking about uniforms. Parking is HORRIBLE. How is it in Kansas I have to leave home 45 minutes earlier so I can park my car and get on a shuttle to my place of work? And if I don't park 'correctly' I can get a $90 ticket--in a lot where only employees park. There is no life-work balance. I have to plan a vacation day a month in advance and then wait until the beginning of that month to find out if it's been approved? The point system is antiquated. Forget your badge=1/3 point, a missed punch on the time clock=1/3 point. So if I get to work on time (or early because the shuttle only runs every 15-30 min) and forget my badge in my car I will get 1 whole point because of the missing badge and not being able to clock in or out. How in the world does this make sense? From there it just goes down hill...

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing. Replace the dead weight in departments and stop overworking your employees. If you are having to hold a job fair for nurses because of the revolving door in a world class hospital you need to take a closer look. Provide training for management and put innovated thinkers and problem solvers in these positions instead of mouth pieces that listen to idle gossip and think they need to re-invent the wheel every time a patient voices a concern or inconvenience.