The University of Kansas Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 20, 2017

Bob Page

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Point system, compensation for added job duties (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management makes all decisions with little or no consideration of the input from staff (in 6 reviews)

"Reception/HIM"

Former Employee - Reception/HIM in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Reception/HIM in Overland Park, KS

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits & the cancer center is closed on holidays

Cons

Point system, compensation for added job duties

Advice to Management

Value your employees

"No sick days for healthcare workers?"

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time

Pros

Ability to work as many extra shifts as you want.

Cons

Constant tight staffing, & more often than not understaffed with health care assistants due to having to share with other units. The CEO has no medical background & has intimidated a whistleblower.

Advice to Management

No sick days to health care providers? Not only does this not make sense, its uncompassionate for employees & patients.

3. "PCA"

Current Employee - Pca in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Pca in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Treat employees well
    Great people to work with
    Tons of opportunity to get involved
    Multiple campuses
    Many shift options
    Good Health Care (insurance)

Cons

Parking is a pain and horrible for newer employees
    Cooperate world
    not very completive with pay

"Senior Epic Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Epic Analyst in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Epic Analyst in Kansas City, KS

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Great co-workers. Reputation.

Cons

Health IT management are set in their ways. There are a lot of micromanagers at the executive and director/assistant director level. Team managers are better. Low compensation with adequate benefits. In general you work a 40-hour week, but this is highly dependent on managers style and ethics.

Advice to Management

Health IT management are set in their ways. There are a lot of micromanagers at the executive and director/assistant director level. Team managers are better. Need better oversight of lower managers. They have too much latitude resulting in unfair work practices.

"RN"

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time

Pros

Good benefits as long as you stay in the KU system, lots of room to advance into non-bedside positions, patient loads are reasonable.

Cons

Parking at the main campus is awful, pay is low-average, one day a month of PTO, and a point system for call ins.

The University of Kansas Health System Response

Mar 14, 2017 – Sr. Website Coordinator

We appreciate your review and for sharing insight on being an RN at our health system. In regards to PTO, we offer full-time employees 15 days the first year and 18.5 days during one through five... More

6. "Could be better, could be worse"

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time

Pros

My salary and most benefits are good. If I go to KU doctors, my deductible is waived. I like many of the people with whom I work.

Cons

Parking is awful! They have a number of lots that are a 10-15 minute walk or a short shuttle ride away from the hospital. The lot I was assigned to has been getting full by the time I get there at 8:15. I changed my work schedule to start working at 8:00 am and get to the lot by 7:45 so I can park. I have called parking services and they told me they will not assign me to a different parking lot and that I have to keep using the same one. If it is full, I have to call parking services and they will tell me where to park that day. If I were to park where I am not supposed to, I would get a ticket. The shuttles run every 10 or 20 minutes depending on the time of the day. If you catch it - great. If not - wait for the next one or walk. The neighborhood is sketchy so don't walk alone after dark.
    Another con is their intranet. It is easier to find KU's forms on Google than on intranet. It is very hard to find contact information for people. It is a large company and no one knows anyone outside of the people with whom they work on a daily basis. You will get faxes for the wrong department because people don't realize they are faxing the wrong department.

Advice to Management

Do something about parking! It is really bad. Also, make it easier for people to find info they need on intranet so they don't spend a long time searching for it.

"RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System part-time

Pros

Benefits, education opportunities, training, discount on healthcare

Cons

Pay and cooperate climate

Advice to Management

Don't treat RN's like they are disposable

The University of Kansas Health System Response

Nov 30, 2016 – Sr. Website Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read your advice to management and that you disprove of our CEO, Bob Page. We believe very strongly that nurses at our health system are an integral part of... More

"Virtual Registration Specialist. Some things are decent...so many other things need change."

Current Employee - Virtual Registration Specialist
    Current Employee - Virtual Registration Specialist

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Medical Benefits and salary are decent. PTO accrual is decent. Some Management Departments are trying to get it together. Most of the upper Management are good.

Cons

Employee parking at the main hospital is horrible. KU has grown so much, that they are running out of space to park. They make employees pay for off site parking, and ride a shuttle bus to their designated work areas. Other local hospitals do not make their employees pay for parking. No discount for employees in the cafeteria or any other eating establishments affiliated with KU Hospital. Attendance policy point system is too strict.

Advice to Management

Focus on the important issues at hand. Hire experienced, seasoned employees for Supervisor positions and give them no more than a 6 month probationary period to learn the positions that they are hired to supervise. How can a person supervise in a position that they know nothing about? Departments need people in leadership positions who can help out, participate and perform the job duties on days when the department falls short of employees, instead of passing all extra work off on other workers. If employees cannot rely on the supervisor for help, they really aren't much help to their employees or the department.

"it was fake"

Former Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System (Less than a year)

Pros

free nothing air conditioning none smoking

Cons

bas food for employees, long hours no overtime; no parking

Advice to Management

none

10. "Perio operative RN"

Pros

Friendly staff, learning opportunities, strong teamwork

Cons

Disinterested management, appears to take awhile for change to occur