The University of Kansas Health System "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

The University of Kansas Health System Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Aug 16, 2018

3.9
The University of Kansas Health System CEO Bob Page (no image)
Bob Page
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management makes all decisions with little or no consideration of the input from staff(in 7 reviews)

• "Point system, compensation for added job duties(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Not an ideal employer"

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, decent retirement package, average pay for the job titles. Some of the people are really enjoyable to work with. Depending on your department, you may be in a 1950s-era brick structure with poor ventilation, or a sparkling new clinic with all the amenities.

Cons

Poor middle and upper management - the executives seem determined to buy up every struggling hospital in the state, in some cases in partnership with out-of-state for-profit companies. Building the new hospital towers and continuous renovation of some areas, while cutting costs by slashing benefits and presenting a pervasive attitude of clinical-areas-above-all-else. There is a steep divide between the lower and... middle management tiers of non-clinical areas, with considerable pressure applied to just-make-it-work-at-all-costs.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be the next MD Andersen / Johns Hopkins, or whatever it is you're striving to emulate, and focus on providing competent care to the people of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas. Most of your core employees live there, after all.

The University of Kansas Health System2018-08-17
  2. "The hospital is very busy on a daily basis."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They provide and perform state of the art care and are always in need of staff. Coworkers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Understaffed, underpaid, and absolutely no transparency. Upper management makes all decisions with little or no consideration of the input from staff.

Advice to Management

Middle management works hard but are too busy with meetings, portfolios, and busy work to actually be a part of the unit. Upper management needs to include floor staff, not just middle management in on decisions made within the hospital. Money is wasted on the daily by making decisions that look good on paper but do not work on the floor. Healthcare is not black and white. We are not a factory. Listen to your... employees!

The University of Kansas Health System2016-03-03

"Office Specialist"

Maintenance Office Specialist - Dispatcher in Independence, MO

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits. Great co-workers. Fabulous PTO and insurance offered. Overall good environment to work and grow if you have a good supervisor.

Cons

Poorly Managed. Vindictive Human Resources Department & Upper Management. Blocks applications stating you are not qualified for open positions when you truly are qualified for them. Horrible parking and shuttle service.

Advice to Management

Not a great idea to black ball former employees and block all of their efforts when the apply for open positions.

The University of Kansas Health System2016-01-07
  4. "Phlebotomist"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist

I worked at The University of Kansas Health System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

KU is a good teaching hospital for all aspects of Medical Care. The main hospital campus or Westwood Campus, Indian Creek Facility is a better place to work.

Cons

Laboratory management needs a major overhaul. They employ people in upper management that should not be in the position.

Advice to Management

Run all of your labs the same. Hire quality upper management.

The University of Kansas Health System2015-07-13

"Wouldn't recommend to anyone."

Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Kansas City, KS

Pros

Used to be flexible, have great benefits, and decent service. Decent PRO accruals and it is nice working for such a well known hospital.

Cons

Management is horrible. They care little about you although they put on a good face. My manager discusses my reviews, personal medical problems, personal home life, and write up with my coworkers. She carries out personal vendettas against other staff members and goes through people's emails. Human resources is disinterested and upper management doesn't want to be bothered unless they are losing money. Benefits... started great, but have seriously declined. Their excuse is being able to afford it, but they build new multi - million dollar buildings every other year. The company is broken up into many smaller companies and the benefits differ along with company perks. They don't care for their clients until they threaten to pull their business and then only long enough to calm them down and then forget them again.

Advice to Management

Pull yourselves together. Upper management needs to take an active role in managing and regular managers need to stop ding petty children and stop acting inappropriate.

The University of Kansas Health System2014-09-05

"Great doctors and nurses. IT needs some work!"

Pros

They have excellent medical benefits. The medical staff is second to none.

Cons

The HITS department needs an overhaul. They use terms like transparency and alignment then have secret meetings and secret reorgs. Recently, an entire team (6 people) were let go. At the staff meeting, upper management was joking and laughing like it was business as usual. Understandably, morale is very low right now. There is not a week that goes by that there is not announcement of an early retirement or someone... leaving for greener pastures. It would seem like this is a red flag (or white depending on your perspective) to management that something is very wrong. It will take only one oops from IT to crumble all the accolades the hospital has worked hard to get.

Advice to Management

Transparency and alignment should be more than empty buzz words or marketing scheme. One business dictionary defines transparency as a “lack of hidden agendas or conditions, accompanied by the availability of full information required for collaboration, cooperation, and collective decision making.” The same source describes it as an “essential condition for a free and open exchange whereby the rules and reasons... behind regulatory measures are fair and clear to all participants.” This is not happening at all.

The University of Kansas Health System2014-08-02

"Great benefits but management is questionable..."

Current Employee - Patient Accounting in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at The University of Kansas Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

HEALTH BENEFITS cannot be beat. The supplemental at KU basically ensures you only pay a small copay when visiting KU docs and everything else is paid by the hospital. The hospital is also highly ranked and sees some of the most challenging cases in the area, meaning you will constantly be growing and expanding your skill set on a daily basis. In general, the staff is also extremely friendly.

Cons

Parking leaves a lot to be desired but it's really not as bad as it's made out to be. The points system is also an annoyance, as KU has a 24 hour notification policy for time off, which includes occasions when you are ill. Sure they say it's only for PTO related absences, however my department won't let you take time off without pay so I basically can't ever be sick without getting dinged for it. Real life happens,... KU... accept it. However, my real issue is actually with how upper management treats its employees. Lack of communication and support have been rampant lately, with employees hardly being informed about mandatory training or job changes until the last minute. Half of the time lower-level management doesn't even know what's going on, making it seem like a very 'fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants atmosphere'...hardly what you'd expect from a nationally recognized hospital system. Support is also hard to find within a department, as half of management can't be bothered to answer your questions or even point you in the right direction. So good luck finding an answer...hope you figure it out before review time comes around! Advancement opportunities are also hard to find as management often promotes based on the length of your relationship with the institution, rather than actual work ethic and the ability to do the job. Sure, as with most places it's who you know but it's a real shame because management is starting to become overrun with people who really don't understand how to support or manage their employees properly.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to really take to heart the concept of an employment contract. I signed a form upon hire stating I would show up to work on time every day and perform my job duties as assigned, always with a smile on my face and always with the patient in mind. I am willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the Patient has an exemplary customer service experience, and I do that all while... abiding by the values and policies of the institution as outlined. I am rarely absent, I present on bad weather days and I am constantly offering myself up for extra duties when other departments need a hand. As a result I should at the very least be treated with respect. I should be allowed to take the occasional sick day without being penalized or depend on my manager to assist me with any questions or concerns I might have during the daily performance of my job. And oh, yeah...I should be given a FAIR chance to advance. After all, you told me I'd have all those things when I interviewed.

The University of Kansas Health System2014-06-16