The University of North Carolina System Research Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

The University of North Carolina System Research Associate Reviews

Updated 9 Mar 2019

Found 28 reviews

3.3
The University of North Carolina System CEO Bill Roper (no image)
Bill Roper
  1. "Postdoctoral research associate"

Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System for less than a year

Pros

It is fun to think, calculate, and write for molecular biophysics theory.

Cons

Low salary and one year contract

Advice to Management

I want to keep on my carrier with any position related to biophysics in US and CANADA.

The University of North Carolina System2016-06-29

"Administrative Nightmare Overshadows Great Science"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, including a generous amount of vacation time; Excellent scientific research with some of the best in their fields

Cons

Amount of bureaucratic red tape is astronomical and the status quo is impossible to move beyond; pay is not necessarily commensurate with education and experience due to laws around equity; work-life balance is not great due; at the mercy of the NC General Assembly for pay increases

Advice to Management

Stop making professional development so impossible to achieve.

The University of North Carolina System2019-03-10
  3. "Collegial, nurturing environment for academic and personal growth"

Current Contractor - Post Doctoral Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System for more than 3 years

Pros

World class research environment in a small town setting, in close proximity of other leading universities. The oldest public University in the USA, provides a nurturing, yet competitive, setting for young academics to explore career opportunities in a wide range of fields.

Cons

The average nation-wide ranking takes away from the experience offers to its students, staff and faculty.

The University of North Carolina System2018-01-30
  4. "Postdoctoral Research Associate"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at The University of North Carolina System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very supportive enviornment, very nice colleagues. People are passionate about making real contribution to the world.

Cons

The whole institution is arrogant. They forget whole big the world is out there. They are not the only one or the best one.

The University of North Carolina System2017-07-30
  5. "nice people. Good PTO and sick leave policy."

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System full-time

Pros

Nice people nice atmosphere. Good PTO and sick leave policy.

Cons

No 401k match. Health insurance plans used to have free premium options but will no longer be the case in 2018.

The University of North Carolina System2017-04-21
  6. "Postdoc experience was great"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate

I worked at The University of North Carolina System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Location is awesome. People to work with are great

Cons

Not too much was negative for my time in UNC

The University of North Carolina System2017-02-09
  7. "Research Associate"

Research Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work! Excellent professional development avenues available.

Cons

Not many opportunities after a postdoc

Advice to Management

None

The University of North Carolina System2016-09-06
  8. "Better than Duke!!!"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Greatest university in the world. I wouldn't give anything for the opportunities it has presented me

Cons

It's academia, so good luck feeling good about yourself and your underpaid status!

The University of North Carolina System2016-04-22
  9. "Research Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

If you are working in the lab of a big Principal Investigator, then you can concentrate on Research only and you don't need to worry about looking for founding.

Cons

You don't have any kind of stability as your contract is renew year by year. As a Research Associate your salary is soft money and you depend on your Principal Investigator's grants. It is no easy to submit grants as a Research Associate as many time it is necessary to have a Faculty Appointment first.

The University of North Carolina System2016-02-22
  10. "Great Environment, Research Dollars Getting Tighter"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System full-time for more than a year

Pros

The chemistry department is full of really intelligent, hard working, great people. The research being done is excellent. The Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Durham/Raleigh area is a great place to spend time.

Cons

The department doesn't devote a lot of resources to professional development, it's pretty much completely up to your advisor. I suppose this is the same system that's in place at most universities, but it can still be frustrating to balance getting your work done with figuring out what's next (given the temporary nature of a postdoc position).

Advice to Management

Try to figure out a way to raise graduate student stipends and postdoc salaries. Invest in more professional development for graduate and postdoctoral researchers outside of their respective labs.

The University of North Carolina System2015-12-16