The University of Vermont Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

The University of Vermont Medical Center Reviews

Updated Sep 12, 2019

Found 129 reviews

3.5
The University of Vermont Medical Center CEO John Brumsted (no image)
John Brumsted
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay (very high cost of living in Vermont)(in 5 reviews)

• "Vermont is EXPENSIVE to live and the compensation did not make it worth it(in 4 reviews)

"Solid place to work"

Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Burlington, VT

I worked at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I thought it was a good work environment and I had great health benefits.

Cons

There was no on-site parking, you have to be shuttled to work.

Advice to Management

Promote employees furthering their education, whether it be e-learning or critical conversation courses.

The University of Vermont Medical Center2019-03-11
  2. "Registered Nurse"

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center

Pros

The registered nurses at the University of Vermont Medical Center have such a great sense of community. The healthcare benefits are very competitive in regards to the area. Medical equipment/software is constantly being updated.

Cons

The salary is well below the national average.

The University of Vermont Medical Center2019-09-12
  3. "Amazing coworkers"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are amazing.

Cons

Upper management is very separated from the work we do as bedside nurses. The pay could be better, and shuttling is a huge downside.

The University of Vermont Medical Center2019-08-08
  4. "Good job"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, good schedule, very understanding

Cons

Some tension among employees, mostly in responsibility

The University of Vermont Medical Center2019-07-31

"Not worth the paycheck"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Burlington, VT

I worked at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cost of health insurance, 401k is a nice match but if you leave before 3 years you don't get company contribution.

Cons

Many - low wages (including confirmed gender wage disparities), micromanaging the smallest details, favortisms as not everyone is held to the same expectations. Lack of management support and presence in the office. Supervisor has no experience managing people and it clearly shows. Expectations are always changing leaving employees unclear of how job performance is reviewed, like audits for instance. Audits... performed by senior representatives are not double checked by management leaving Representatives either confused as we weren't given information about what was included in audit and have to spend breaks or lunch time researching the same accounts and prove our case for being marked incorrectly in audit, which can have an impact of a report in our file or lower raise in an already low paying job. Patient care is replaced with a focus on collecting money. NOT PCI compliant, every representative is to write down credit card numbers (and shred at end of day) because company refuses to spend the money to upgrade the systems giving the reason "contract with vendors". Morale in the office was at an all time low.

Advice to Management

Fix the issues in the office rather than sweeping them under the rug, this includes making comments that it's a high turnaround because its a call center - it's a high turnaround because the atmosphere is poisonous. Making good employees cover the slack of bad employees makes the good ones resentful and they either lower their own production or leave. Stop declaring you are not micromanaging, if more than two... people have mentioned it maybe its true (and again don't just brush it aside). Get training to be a leader rather than a manager, you will retain more employees that way.

The University of Vermont Medical Center2019-08-01
  6. "Too much pressure, not enough appreciation"

I worked at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meet lots of people

Cons

Extremely stressful environment All blame placed on nurses Providers sometimes extremely rude Forced to take on roles I wasnt comfortable with Expected to go out of your scope of practice and risk your license, written up if you resist

Advice to Management

Hire nurse managers who have actually done the nursing work before, and hold the providers accountable for their own work instead of blaming the nurses for not doing it for them.

The University of Vermont Medical Center2019-08-20
  7. "Good place to develop your skills"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Burlington, VT

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Academic institution with a broad range of specialties. Wonderful place to raise a family.

Cons

Respect for nursing is lacking, compensation compared to cost of living is poor.

Advice to Management

Respect nurses more, pay your people better.

The University of Vermont Medical Center2019-07-08
  8. "Academic Hospital"

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to start career and learn more, small hospital and clinic makes it easier to learn more sooner

Cons

Greedy administrators only care about themselves going against the hospital mission about caring for patients

The University of Vermont Medical Center2019-07-17
  9. "Nice place to work, still some struggles"

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time

Pros

Friendly environment. Focus on education.

Cons

Pay not as competitive as other hospitals.

The University of Vermont Medical Center2019-07-11
  10. "Great organization to work for"

Current Employee - Line Chef in Burlington, VT

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, pay and opportunities for growth

Cons

Very political, micromanaging at its finest

The University of Vermont Medical Center2019-03-23