The University of Vermont Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 19, 2017

2.0
John Brumsted

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It's nice job with good benefits (in 12 reviews)

• Solid pay for the region, great benefits at low cost (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • nothing bad to say about this place (in 3 reviews)

• Very "who you know" and upper management is very insulated from the work areas and staff (in 4 reviews)

1. "Very Disappointing Establishment to Work for"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Burlington, VT

I worked at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Nice people to work with

Cons

High turnover rate
    Pay is way below national average for nurses
    Cost of living is higher than national average
    No differentials for higher degrees

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth
    Help your employees feel valued and they will stay around
    High turnover rates = low staff satisfaction = low patient satisfaction

"Outpatient Office"

I worked at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time

Pros

Doctors, Nurse Practitioners, Physicians Assistants and Residents Doctors all pretty fantastic to work with! Having a day shift everyday is also pretty good. Benefits were really good.

Cons

Parking was not great, had to shuttle in to work every morning. Supervisor was not great, nor good at the job responsibilities. UVM MC advertises that they support education, and continuing education but found it pretty difficult to get time off to attend trainings. Staff moral was really low due to supervisor and how the flow of the office was handled. Pay was not enough to survive on, so it made putting 100% in, really hard.

Advice to Management

Provide more updated ongoing education to your supervisors. Conduct surveys for office staff on what is going well and what is not, then address those issues accordingly. A lot of good people leave because UVM MC is not all that it is said to be, especially in the department of management, there lies most of the issues. Talk to staff members about possible problems, don't just rely on the people coming back and reporting to you. Figure out how to identify and keep the good staff because its clear their voice is not being heard.

"Not what I was expecting."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Pros

The providers I worked with were awesome and always eager to teach and encourage. I wanted to work here because UVMMC advertise themselves as an employer that encourages continued education and advancement. However, it was nearly impossible to ever get time off to attend lectures or take classes. My supervisor rarely approved time off. I was given a lecture about how short staffed we were when I asked for time off to attend a funeral.

Cons

Always short staffed. No support from the supervisor. Pay is terrible. Parking was difficult. No flexibility with scheduling to attend educational classes, funerals or any personal issues.

Advice to Management

Office morale truly can make or break productivity. A little can go along way to make an employee feel appreciated.

Sep 1, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your experience as an employee. The University of Vermont Medical Center deeply cares about the success of its employees and continuously strives to improve... More

4. "Environmental Services Level II"

I worked at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time

Pros

Great direct co-workers, great supervisor and lead.

Cons

Shady doctors, and perverted creepy people in the ED unit. We all have that One Dream One Team One Patient principle going. I witnessed what I did not want to see in the building, and we are all there to do the work, and when disregard of patience emotional health is disregarded due to the fact the focus is on the physical health, the fact they encompass the same body was off putting. But in higher emphasis, I believe we should leave leave all the desperation out of all it, for it especially is not needed in the workforce.

Advice to Management

Really be clear and hold the employees accountable for our main mission. The departments specifics anywhere should remember that the health should be and accounted for in mind, body, and emotion. The mission of UVM was my life mission, as well as Take Care of Yourself, Take Care of Each Other, Take Care of This Place.

5. "Could be a really great place to work.."

Former Employee - IS Help Desk Support Staff in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - IS Help Desk Support Staff in Burlington, VT

I worked at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary by far, Vermont is a very hard place to try to find a job that pays a decent wage In the IT field, this job started just under $26 an hour and there's plenty of opportunity for overtime!
     The other huge plus in working here is the amount of information I learned, supporting over 50 different applications each one more complex than the last was very challenging and very satisfying at the same time!
     Most of my coworkers were amazing, along with one of my three supervisors Who was fantastic, I could always ask him a question and he would always help me with a smile on his face..

Cons

Having two managers who absolutely do not care about the people who work in the helpdesk department, when I started working there I was told that I wouldn't feel comfortable supporting all of the different applications for at least 6 months, being let go just a few days shy of my 90 day review!

Advice to Management

Quit go somewhere else that doesn't involve you managing people because you really suck at it, you say you care when actuality you don't give a damn about the workers under you!
     My two immediate managers in the helpdesk department are two of the biggest phonies I've ever had the displeasure of working under!
     It's no wonder that department has a revolving door mentality, I wonder why it is they're constantly needing to hire in that dept!

May 15, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding the IT help desk position. I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with your managers and we appreciate your insight. Please reach out to... More

6. "Pharmacist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Teaching environment makes for a stimulating environment

Cons

Have to be bussed in to work from outlying parking lot

Advice to Management

Helpful if they were more hands on and visible

Nov 7, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your more than ten years of hard work at The University of Vermont Medical Center. I am sorry that your experience was not as fulfilling as you wanted. UVMMC makes tremendous strides to... More

"Hospital not synomous with caring company"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Services in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Services in Burlington, VT

Pros

Good Health benefits. Decent starting time off.

Cons

Like all other companies they mostly care about the bottom line and not for the well being of their lower rung employees (non-medical staff). No room for growth with ridiculously low wages. Even after you have been here for 25+ years don't expect a wage over $17 an hour.

Advice to Management

Stop trying the nickel and dime the background employees who keep the organization running day to day. Happier employees mean a better hospital.

Sep 13, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting and Staffing

Thank you for your feedback regarding the overall experience regarding your employment. Please know that the wellbeing of our employees is of upmost importance to us and we would love to help you... More

"RN"

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Co-workers are excellent

Cons

no flexibility in scheduling, poor nurse to patient ratio, management is detached from the reality of patient care

Advice to Management

Management should really listen to those who are working in the trenches day in and day out. Cost containment can work with the advice of the people who do the work.

"Nice facilities, no incentives for employees to do their best."

Pros

Nice facilities, some really great co-workers, great doctors, wide range of medical specialties, pay is average, benefits, locations are great.

Cons

all employees are treated the same whether you do a great job or a terrible job. Upper management and management turn a blind eye when it comes to disruptive or bad employees and if it is brought to there attention often times there is retaliation.

Advice to Management

Reward and recognize the good employees, deal with the bad employees "stop rewarding the bad child" so the good employee stay!

"Politics seemed to be the main problem"

Pros

Saw many interesting cases due to the number of patients that came to the practice. People I worked with were hardworking and always willing to help out when they could.

Cons

Management was poor. Unwilling to assist those giving direct patient contact.

Advice to Management

Not at this time. I hope management has improved since the last time I was there.