The University of Vermont Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

The University of Vermont Medical Center Reviews

Updated May 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It's nice job with good benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Solid pay for the region, great benefits at low cost (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • nothing bad to say about this place (in 3 reviews)

• There is a gap between what upper management sees as a need for clinical practice and what clinician see as a need (in 4 reviews)

1. "LNA"

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Montpelier, VT
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Montpelier, VT

Pros

Great friendly atmosphere and great with their employees. They have awesome benefits with health and discounts within the community. They have great pay and overtime compensation.

Cons

Sometimes not as flexible with the hours

2. "Med center"

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you into outdoor winter activities vermont maybe for you. Friendly staff.

Cons

In my job field they took away further advancement. One of the reasons I quit I cpuslnt go any further up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Provide a better advancement structure. Evaluation system is a joke. That system really doesn't work like it is supposed to. Self evals don't tell the managers what the employee is doing. Eclipse reporting is a way for software micromanagement but doesn't show the real truth in daily workload.

Nov 17, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. The University of Vermont Medical Center has a strong focus on employee progression. We have systems like tuition discounts, tuition reimbursement, and internal classes... More

3. "Pharmacist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Teaching environment makes for a stimulating environment

Cons

Have to be bussed in to work from outlying parking lot

Advice to Management

Helpful if they were more hands on and visible

Nov 7, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your more than ten years of hard work at The University of Vermont Medical Center. I am sorry that your experience was not as fulfilling as you wanted. UVMMC makes tremendous strides to... More

"Hospital not synomous with caring company"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Services in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Services in Burlington, VT

Pros

Good Health benefits. Decent starting time off.

Cons

Like all other companies they mostly care about the bottom line and not for the well being of their lower rung employees (non-medical staff). No room for growth with ridiculously low wages. Even after you have been here for 25+ years don't expect a wage over $17 an hour.

Advice to Management

Stop trying the nickel and dime the background employees who keep the organization running day to day. Happier employees mean a better hospital.

Sep 13, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting and Staffing

Thank you for your feedback regarding the overall experience regarding your employment. Please know that the wellbeing of our employees is of upmost importance to us and we would love to help you... More

"Phlebotomist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Pros

They are an equal opportunity employer which makes for a diverse work environment. There is room to grow and change job positions that fit your needs.

Cons

There is a feeling of hierarchy, not everyone is made to feel they are on the same playing field. There is constantly construction which increases the noise, creates working spaces that aren't ideal and at time inconveniences customers.

Advice to Management

Be more open to what employees are telling you. They are the ones who are in the trenches, without good and happy employees you don't get as many dedicated employees who want to do a good job.

6. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Burlington, VT

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, educational oppertunities, health oriented

Cons

Very expensive housing off site parking and have to catch a bus to work

Oct 4, 2016 – Manager, Recruiting and Staffing

Thank you for your insight! We have some great programs that may reduce your current travel time including onsite parking for motorcycles/scooters, carpooling programs, and many discounts for other... More

7. "Great place to grow in your professional career."

Current Employee - Staff Nurse I - Intern In the Operating Room in Burlington, VT

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employee benefits, friendly staff, overall sense of community. Hospital encourages you to continue to grow as a professional and promote lifelong learning for the benefit of the patient and staff. Many leadership opportunities. This is my first job out of college and I'm very proud to be working here.

Cons

Parking situation could be an issue if you were just out of walking distance, but still in Burlington.

8. "Radiology charge specialist SENIOR"

Current Employee - Radiology Charge Specialist in Milton, VT
    Current Employee - Radiology Charge Specialist in Milton, VT

Pros

Working environment is great. Team players, educational opportunities, great health insurance, dental.

Cons

can work from home remotely but, need to remain in the state.

Advice to Management

Please consider remote coders.

9. "Its a great place to work in the area."

Current Employee - Patient Benefit Advisor in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Patient Benefit Advisor in Burlington, VT

I have been working at The University of Vermont Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's nice job with good benefits. Being in a larger department means you can be flexible with your shift if something comes up

Cons

Sometimes patients can be difficult, but thats just part of the job.

10. "Wonderful staff and overall management team is very forward thinking"

Former Employee - Registration Manager in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Registration Manager in Burlington, VT

Pros

Benefits are great, employee engagement is a high priority. Resources are provided to make changes and keep up with industry. VERY patient focused.

Cons

Long term management team in my department that did not welcome outsiders. Little support from EAP or HR to acclimate to culture.

Advice to Management

Shake up teams managed by groups who have been together for 20 years.