The Vermont Country Store Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Eliot Orton

1. "Great place!"

Pros

The family owners of this business truly care about their employees, and the state in which all live and work.

Cons

It's sometimes difficult to communicate opinions contrary to the family's approach to the business.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your greatest asset = your employees!

2. "Management as old fashioned as the products"

Current Employee - Not Sspecified for Fear of Retribution in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Not Sspecified for Fear of Retribution in Manchester, NH

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are in love with the company except for prices and quality, and get treated well. Employee discounts are generous, but need to be for any employee to afford to buy anything here. Selling things people remember as kids is a hit.

Cons

Management philosophy is as outdated as the products we sell. Employees are squeezed really hard to do more and more with less help every year. Hiring provides only very low-skilled people to save money on salaries. New president is the former finance guy and is a penny pincher and it is wearing away at the staff in many departments. Only concern is bottom line, no genuine concern for finding quaity employees.

Advice to Management

Hire some real managers with people skills that encourage collaboration more than just window dressing. Sell the company sooner than later to someone that will modernize it if you expect to be around for even another 10 years. The early years did not have as much competition online and prices are way to high, so you won't last long. Listen to what customers are saying online about prices! Ostrich style of management is not long term.

"Csr"

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Rutland, VT
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Rutland, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

discount, atmosphere, fellow employees, food ,discount,sale

Cons

pay, mandatory quota, audits, pay

5. "A blast from the past employment culture"

Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in North Clarendon, VT
    Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in North Clarendon, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you meet the local slave population

Cons

you would make more money begging on NYC subway for a similar amount of walking you do as a picker; managers are arrogant, vain, and creepy; nobody cares about what do you think or how do you feel (yet you are expected to make their life easier)

Advice to Management

fire half of the middle managers and seasonal supervisors and pay your true workers better

6. "Cares about employees"

Pros

Company really cares about employees and goes above and beyond to make interns feel like they are truly a part of the company.

Cons

Limited growth with the company as a whole, just based on the maturity of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smaller company that cares about it's employees. Have been there for more than 3 years and have had ups and downs but over all it is a fun place to work. Supervisors are willing to listen (most of them anyway) and help work out schedules and help you keep a work/life balance. Also the Orton family is generous with the financial programs they have put in to place including bonuses and hardship help

Cons

Company values when I started there were high. It seems over the last couple of years things have been starting to change. One change that has a lot of people upset is becoming numbers instead of names. When we pack a package for a person we are proud and want that person to know who did this for them. But to save money we are going to use numbers. Another thing is activities seem to be coming a thing of the past. Employee sales used to be a big thing but they don't seem to be happening. Promotions are not forth coming if you are a person that speaks your mind, We are told to come forward with issues but when we do we are later told we are being "negative"

Advice to Management

Remember that in order to get the best out of people you need to treat them with respect and not like robots. taking away something as small as a name on a package can upset someone more than saying we can't pay a bonus this year. Listen to what people are buzzing about and not close your minds and say "be open to change".

8. "Decent place to work."

Former Employee - Telephone Services Representative in North Clarendon, VT
    Former Employee - Telephone Services Representative in North Clarendon, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to choose your shift. Employee sales/discount. Nice experience to chat with some of the older customers when it's slow enough to do so.

Cons

Supervisors aren't always the most helpful (depends on who you have). Frustrating that when it's slow your only option is to separate/tear return labels instead of being given a meaningful task. It's as if they don't trust you or don't think you can handle doing other work while waiting for that beep in your ear. For someone who has to stay busy like myself, that can become annoying. Some of the elderly customers are downright rude and will speak to you in a mean manner and you have to take it.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be trained better. Give the employees that want more to do a better list of options so they feel like they're contributing when it's slow.

9. "My 2nd year of seasonal work."

Pros

Supervisors are usually very accommodating about schedule changes, within reason. Often there are samples of food to try. They do supply fruit and coffee, etc.

Cons

This year, (so far), and last year I've enjoyed working with the other employees. Trainers are very thorough. However, when the trainees are working some trainers seem to have nothing to do. Compensation, I'm thinking this year, isn't quite up to what I thought it would be. For a second year employee I thought I'd get a small raise for returning but I didn't. All year I've been thinking of the awesome employee sale that will happen later in the season. But, after weighing the pay and all the other 'benefits' it's not worth it to me. I am looking for other employment. Why did I go back? The employee sale. But ,like I said, it's just not worth it. Also, I've been reading other reviews and I have to agree that there are too many supervisors, coordinators and trainers. If someone is going to be in a position like that they should be able to show a bit of leadership. If there isn't already, there should be a class for leadership, or at least a hand- out explaining how their actions affect others.

Advice to Management

Rethink salaries. I'd rather bring in my own candy and fruit, etc and receive a higher pay. Trainers should have something to do, instead of literally standing and watching people work. To me, that is not a good example of leadership any employee should see or want to emulate!

10. "Great company in Vermont"

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

WAS very employee-centric company with great perks and benefits! Great training programs

Cons

Culture was changing and becoming more "corporate".

Advice to Management

Look at salaries for retail, CS & DC-they are in need of an overhaul. Get better at communication across the whole business.

11. "A Family run company that cares about the people who work for them."

Pros

Solid company, Care about employees, growth ooprtunities if you let it be known. Very much into health and wellness to include vending machine options, a workout room and nutritional/health advice.

Cons

Work/life balance sometimes is hard

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing