The Vermont Country Store Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Eliot Orton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Really great place to work"

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time

Pros

Great people in a great location.

Cons

If you don't like living away from a city don't look into it here...not a con unless you don't like it

2. "Company Environment"

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time

Pros

Great employees, great ownership, great customers

Cons

Remote location, harsh winters, limited systems

3. "CSR"

Former Employee - Csr1 in North Clarendon, VT
    Former Employee - Csr1 in North Clarendon, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they offer a benefit plan

Cons

Lots of Cons, mostly management.

Advice to Management

get some training

"Sliding into corporate nightmare"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at The Vermont Country Store full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ummmm.... there use to be some. It's a job! That's about it.

Cons

Poor pay. No life/work balance. Too many metrics. High stress. High turn over. Sexist, descriminative. Management does NOT listen. Not supportive of Veterans.

Advice to Management

Get rid of bean counter who is cutting the heart and soul out of the company. Clean out middle management and their favorites.

5. "Great place!"

Pros

The family owners of this business truly care about their employees, and the state in which all live and work.

Cons

It's sometimes difficult to communicate opinions contrary to the family's approach to the business.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your greatest asset = your employees!

"Management as old fashioned as the products"

Current Employee - Not Sspecified for Fear of Retribution in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Not Sspecified for Fear of Retribution in Manchester, NH

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are in love with the company except for prices and quality, and get treated well. Employee discounts are generous, but need to be for any employee to afford to buy anything here. Selling things people remember as kids is a hit.

Cons

Management philosophy is as outdated as the products we sell. Employees are squeezed really hard to do more and more with less help every year. Hiring provides only very low-skilled people to save money on salaries. New president is the former finance guy and is a penny pincher and it is wearing away at the staff in many departments. Only concern is bottom line, no genuine concern for finding quaity employees.

Advice to Management

Hire some real managers with people skills that encourage collaboration more than just window dressing. Sell the company sooner than later to someone that will modernize it if you expect to be around for even another 10 years. The early years did not have as much competition online and prices are way to high, so you won't last long. Listen to what customers are saying online about prices! Ostrich style of management is not long term.

"Csr"

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Rutland, VT
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Rutland, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

discount, atmosphere, fellow employees, food ,discount,sale

Cons

pay, mandatory quota, audits, pay

8. "A blast from the past employment culture"

Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in North Clarendon, VT
    Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in North Clarendon, VT

I worked at The Vermont Country Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you meet the local slave population

Cons

you would make more money begging on NYC subway for a similar amount of walking you do as a picker; managers are arrogant, vain, and creepy; nobody cares about what do you think or how do you feel (yet you are expected to make their life easier)

Advice to Management

fire half of the middle managers and seasonal supervisors and pay your true workers better

9. "Cares about employees"

Pros

Company really cares about employees and goes above and beyond to make interns feel like they are truly a part of the company.

Cons

Limited growth with the company as a whole, just based on the maturity of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great Place to work"

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smaller company that cares about it's employees. Have been there for more than 3 years and have had ups and downs but over all it is a fun place to work. Supervisors are willing to listen (most of them anyway) and help work out schedules and help you keep a work/life balance. Also the Orton family is generous with the financial programs they have put in to place including bonuses and hardship help

Cons

Company values when I started there were high. It seems over the last couple of years things have been starting to change. One change that has a lot of people upset is becoming numbers instead of names. When we pack a package for a person we are proud and want that person to know who did this for them. But to save money we are going to use numbers. Another thing is activities seem to be coming a thing of the past. Employee sales used to be a big thing but they don't seem to be happening. Promotions are not forth coming if you are a person that speaks your mind, We are told to come forward with issues but when we do we are later told we are being "negative"

Advice to Management

Remember that in order to get the best out of people you need to treat them with respect and not like robots. taking away something as small as a name on a package can upset someone more than saying we can't pay a bonus this year. Listen to what people are buzzing about and not close your minds and say "be open to change".