The Washington Post Reviews | Glassdoor

The Washington Post Reviews

Updated September 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.3
The Washington Post CEO & Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management is seriously only out for themselves" (in 10 reviews)

• "Really no cons, great place to work" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company! I love working here!"

Current Employee - Developer, Arc Publishing in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Developer, Arc Publishing in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, the work is always interesting and rewarding, innovation is encouraged and constant

Cons

It is a pretty big company so it can be hard to get to know everyone. Departments tend to be pretty secluded. I was pretty sad they did not have an education allowance as well when I first started, but I learn so much on the job now that I have decided not to go back to school anyway.

Advice to Management

Continue checking in with employees and being flexible to change and growth

Sep 6, 2018 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! Glad you're enjoying working at The Washington Post and are learning so much on the job. If you want on-the-job training, this is the place to do it... More

2. "Press Operator (Springfield)"

Former Employee - Press Operator in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Press Operator in Springfield, VA

I worked at The Washington Post part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to wor. Good pay and benifits

Cons

Worked the night shift. The newspaper is made everyday so shifts rotate

Advice to Management

None

Aug 27, 2018 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and for the honest feedback. We appreciate it. Thanks for your years of service on The Post team!

"Not a great long-term option"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and colleagues. Great name recognition on resume.

Cons

Lack of career advancement opportunities. Very little investment in employee well-being and mentorship.

Sep 6, 2018 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience working at The Washington Post. We’re glad you enjoyed working for a brand name with great colleagues. We agree! The people really make The... More

4. "Drink that kool aid"

Current Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post (More than 5 years)

Pros

The office was cool, food trucks outside a plenty!

Cons

If you have views that differ from theirs, please don’t speak. Only people with certain views on religion, race and politics seem to be accepted here. Learn to lie to co workers about how you view the world.

Advice to Management

Diversity!!! Of opinion!!! Much needed please

Sep 20, 2018 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. Exclusionary behavior such as this is NOT tolerated at The Post. Please confidentially e-mail us to share further details so we can... More

5. "You Can Take Pride in Working at The Washington Post"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Washington Post has the energy of a startup, which is a good thing . So many groups are hiring and growing. There's a lot to do, and even if you get hired to do one thing, there's a good chance you'll get to branch out and do even more, that's just as interesting, especially when it comes to technology. The place really embraces being ahead of the curve using technology to to support great journalism.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like too many people want to be a boss and own every project.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing in terms of making content with integrity. The Washington Post tells the truth, and does it with pride. Ease up on the bossiness.

Aug 20, 2018 – The Washington Post Team

"The Washington Post has the energy of a startup." Well said! Over the last few years as The Post has emerged as a media and media technology company, we often say we're a 141-year-old start up... More

6. "A legacy for a reason"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Washington Post is filled with smart people who hold up a culture of innovation and curiosity. Managers are willing to listen and support their teams' interests and ideas.

Cons

The company is very large so it will take time to get to know everyone from different teams and departments. Nonetheless, there are many opportunities created by the company to try to bridge this gap.

Advice to Management

Continue to have quarterly and yearly check in's with employees to review growth milestones, etc.

Jul 30, 2018 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and for your insights. We will definitely continue to host events for departments to get to know each other and to have check-ins for employees and... More

7. "Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently accepted an internal recruiter position at the Washington Post. So far, it has been amazing! The technology side of the Post is really something that is not talked about enough. They have the traditional work that they are most known for (which is exciting and interesting) but they also have a technology side that is innovative and very cutting edge. If you want to work for a well known organization, a place that has a great reputation, work with smart and interesting people and feel like you are making an impact; then you should consider working at the Washington Post.

Cons

There are cons with everyone organization but the ones at the Washington Post are so minimal that they are not even worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jul 30, 2018 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for your feedback. We're so glad you've had a positive experience so far at The Washington Post. We're proud of the fact that we are a media and media technology company and we're glad you've... More

8. "a 100+ year-old institution with integrity and some growing pains"

Current Employee - Engineering in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineering in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A media organization with integrity in its DNA. Feels good to work for a company that provides a civic value to its readers and to the nation, writ large.

- Working alongside some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. The level of technical knowledge / expertise of my colleagues in their specific focus area is generally very high.

- Salary level is where I would expect it to be, based on my experience and the market rate for equivalent positions in the DMV area.

- Colleagues that take the work seriously while retaining a healthy sense of humor.

- A good mix of ages and experience levels. Makes interacting with coworkers more valuable and more conducive to learning about people's backgrounds that are different from my own.

- Flexible schedule.

- Frequency of meetings for non-managers in my department is generally low.

- Office is fairly quiet, well-lit, and aesthetically pleasing.

- Convenient location for metro and multiple bus lines.

Cons

- Still a lot of cis white men in charge at executive level.

- Internally, I get the sense that there is a struggle between  "old guard" and new guard. Perhaps an over-reliance on traditional business hierarchies or distinctions that served the organization well when it was mainly a print newspaper, but not so much as a modern, multi-channel company.

- There are a number of mid-level managers in different departments that appear to have little to no management experience.  They seem to possess the technical acumen appropriate to their role, but not the interpersonal / emotional awareness to properly mentor team members and build up individual strengths.

- Availability of resources seems to be an issue in my department which can lead to choppy workflow and loss of momentum.

- Occasional "hurry up and wait" projects that jockey for priority/ urgency, somewhat arbitrarily.

- Related to the above – not enough of a focus on quality over quantity. IE taking on too many initiatives with not enough time committed to making them excellent experiences.

- A good number of engineering staff are remote workers, which makes it harder to establish a sense of team unity and makes communication a bit tedious.

- Documentation and review of completed work is rare in my department - more time could be committed to learning from our past endeavors.

- Very few processes or standards in place for on-boarding new hires in my department.

- The open office layout can be a little distracting and lacks sufficient privacy for occasional personal calls or sensitive conversations.

Advice to Management

- Mandatory training for first-time managers.

- Additional mechanisms for giving or soliciting anonymous feedback (360 reviews or similar) for performance-related issues.

- Would be interested to see an executive level position established in the way of "Chief Creative Officer" or similar. Personally I feel The Post's visual design language could be further evolved to be even more consistent, memorable and exciting. In terms of overall brand identity, I think the company has much more room for growth and such a role would help solidify the Post's commitment to design excellence and enhance its public perception.

Aug 8, 2018 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We agree- the integrity of The Washington Post and the people behind it is the spine and soul of this company. We’re glad you’re a part of that. Also... More

9. "One of the best opportunities out there.."

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- People are super smart
    - Using the latest and greatest technology while deploying stuff on AWS
    - Small and innovative teams. It's like a well-funded startup.
    - Everyone is here to help the journalism cause

Cons

- 401k is not the best

Advice to Management

Continue to make the benefits better.

Jul 23, 2018 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience working at The Washington Post. You mention The Post is "like a well-funded startup." We agree! We often say we're a 141 year old startup. We also... More

10. "A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Producer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Producer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll get to work with some of the smartest people in the country. The work you do will be valuable and extremely rewarding. You'll meet some great mentors. The Post is more than just a venerable news organization, it's also a media and technology company-- we're at the forefront of digital news which is cool.

Cons

There's a lack of diversity in managerial positions.

Jul 27, 2018 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're so glad you found the people at The Post smart, driven, and great people to work with. We agree! Thanks for the feedback on managerial positions... More