The Washington Post Reviews

Updated May 4, 2021

4.5
The Washington Post CEO and Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Pros
  • "Work-life-balance is extremely good(in 29 reviews)

• "The Post is one of the world's best organizations to do impactful journalism(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Newsroom diversity still an issue(in 18 reviews)

• "Diversity is still an issue in the newsroom, as well as in upper management(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Dynamic workplace where big ideas shine

Sep 25, 2020 - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Washington Post is a great place to work. I always feel like my contributions are valued by managers and by the organization as a whole. Big ideas are encouraged and supported. Cross-departmental collaboration is a part of almost every project, which brings you in contact with all kinds of people, all at the top of their game.

Cons

For the most part, The Post is a great place to work. It is a big company, and like other big companies, projects can occasionally get snagged up by bureaucracy.

4 people found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

We're glad to hear your contributions are valued by your manager and by the company as a whole. It's the type of company we strive to be!

2. 5.0

Great place to work

May 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Onboarded really well even though I started during the pandemic which can be challenging.

Cons

Some departments, specifically more technical ones, are still predominantly men.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Pays below market value

Apr 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- If you are on the technology side, then there is opportunity to shine. Big ideas can and do shine! It is easy to be successful - Senior leadership is accessible and hands-on - Parental leave is 5 months (a recent improvement) - Office outdoor space is nice

Cons

- Siloed business, lots of internal politics - 2021 compensation packages are well below publicly available market metrics for the DC Metro and NYC areas - Base salaries: 15-40% lower than average for similar roles at other media and/or technology companies - Bonuses are not guaranteed - Limited room for career growth - Low 401k match - No financial contribution or stipend to specifically subsidize parents with children during covid. This is different than other legacy media companies like Hearst and NYTimes - No coverage plans or polices in place for teams supporting parents who go out on parental leave - Employees openly complain about being underpaid - Talent is leaving in droves due to low pay and limited growth opportunities

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, meaningful work, zero egos.

Dec 18, 2020 - Senior Product Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The work culture is great. Everyone I've worked with from engineering to the newsroom is very collaborative. Zero egos. - Leadership is hands-on. They care about you and the work that you do. Senior management will know you by name. - They promote internally. A lot of companies get talent from outside but WaPo has a culture of cultivating talent from the inside first before looking elsewhere. - Work is extremely meaningful. Everyone shares in the goal of the pursuit of truth and that democracy dies in darkness. - Work-life-balance is extremely good!

Cons

- Compensation package is below average if you work in technology. You get no guaranteed annual bonus or stock options. Management is actively working on this and hopefully, we get to parity with other companies. - Turnover is high on the engineering side as a result - great talent are being poached by tech companies. - 401k package is below average but the WaPo does match - HMO is limited to those based in DC, MD and VA. If you work out of state, prepare to get on a high deductible plan. - Annual increases are merit-based and it is unclear how you are able to get it. (You and your team might score high in your performance review but someone with a lower score could get the increase.)

2 people found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. It’s great to see that you experience a collaborative work culture, hands-on leadership and growth at The Post. With compensation, we aim to pay our employees fairly and equitably. If you are concerned with your pay, please reach out to hr@washpost.com and we’ll set up a review for you with our compensation team. Thanks for being part of The Washington Post team and please always feel free to give us feedback on here or by emailing life@washpost.com.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful Colleagues and Challenging Work

Feb 17, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with some of the best and brightest, not just in engineering but across broad sectors of the company. There are new and interesting challenges to solve everyday in our infrastructure and apps. The work we do feels important and is rewarding. There is a tremendous amount of empathy for you as an individual (and your growth). It's a more diverse environment than I've ever worked in.

Cons

WaPo Engineering is growing fast so naturally there are challenges to scaling up, this means you may not have peers with the time to hold your hand as you navigate the learning curve. Engineering compensation is not as competitive as the top tech companies.

The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're glad it's been a positive experience working with the team and leadership. As you navigate the rapid growth in Engineering, you're always free to confidentially email us at life@washpost.com if you have observations or feedback. Thanks for being part of the team!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing focus on team and individual development

Mar 22, 2021 - Senior Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Post has a strong commitment to developing people and cultivating a culture of respect and autonomy. In my time here I've worked with driven people who are always open to new ideas and reviewing current practices. The WFH experience has been pretty smooth, and leadership have recognized and taken steps to address the difficulties of work during the pandemic.

Cons

It's very hard to pinpoint any cons.

7. 5.0

Such Pride Working Here!

Feb 23, 2021 - Client Services Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working here. Throughout the pandemic the team has been consistent, communicative and has really eased our nerves. I truly am excited to work here every, single day. WORK LIFE BALANCE here is amazing.

Cons

I am a little saddened by representation at the post. We don't seem to have a gender issue, but we seem to perhaps have a race issue. There seems to be a lack of diversity in leadership positions, manager and even teammates. I am unsure how my career path will play out.

8. 5.0

Great Benefits, Flexible work environment

Apr 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Flexibility, Challenging, Great Management styles

Cons

Promotions are not the best.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Fun place to be

Apr 5, 2021 - Director in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, Very forward looking company

Cons

Sometimes a little too conservative - could take more risks.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great place!

Apr 23, 2021 - Journalist/Reporter in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great editors, forward driven, newsroom. Offers great exposure.

Cons

Advancement to senior levels can be tough.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 409 Reviews