The Washington Post Reviews | Glassdoor

The Washington Post Reviews

Updated June 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.0
The Washington Post CEO & Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance, benefits, progressive organization (in 10 reviews)

• The Post relies on a collaborative work environment and that is how they have become so successful with their tech & digital transformation (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is cleaning house, mostly female managers disappearing (in 9 reviews)

• There was little transparency from management and a general lack of stability, which are normal news industry things I guess (in 5 reviews)

1. "It is true...it is an exciting time to be at The Post"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work, culture, work space, and comradery are all great. There are a lot of exciting and innovative things going on at The Post. The Post has several ways to keep the employees engaged and informed, which is a huge plus!

Cons

If coming from a slower workplace, you may feel overwhelmed and/or stressed at the pace at which The Post operates. However, after a few weeks/months, I think an employee can find their rhythm and pace.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with all levels of staff with the vehicles that are currently in place. I think they are working well. Perhaps in the future, consider alternate work schedules in all departments that can, such as 4/10 or 9/80.

Jul 3, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences and are encouraged you've found a home here at The Post. Thank you for choosing to be part of... More

2. "Best Decision I've Made So Far - I Love The Post!"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some said leaving a "Career Company" for a news publishing company was a risky move; however, being at the forefront of quality journalism and engineering advances in the industry supported by dedicated employees and of course a wealthy owner turned out to be the best career decision I've made so far! I absolutely love this place.

What I love most about The Post?
    - The people - friendly and hardworking
    - The positive and engaging work environment
    - The location - sleek building in downtown DC - Franklin park/penthouse rooftop/Lobby Floor Gym
    - The mission - quality journalism supported by boundary pushing technology

Cons

None so far. Employer continues to listen, improve engagement and employee benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Especially with improving employee benefits and perks. You have developed a wonderful work environment for your employees. Bravo!

Jul 3, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We agree about The Post being made of great people! Thank you for choosing to be part of The Washington Post team!

3. "Happy to be at the Post"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with across the company.
    Healthy work environment.
    Values contributions of employees
    Dynamic, creative workplace
    Rewarding experience

Cons

I have not encountered downside

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize the creativity of all employees in furthering the mission.

Jul 3, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. Thank you for choosing to be part of The Washington Post team!

4. "Innovative culture that embraces diversity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truely innovative culture, millennial-type environment, flexible hours, great office space, embraces and values diversity,

Cons

Lack of structure, some siloed culture at times although improving with time

Jun 12, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for the positive feedback and we're glad you've found The Washington Post a meaningful place to work. We'll pass your feedback to our team. Thanks for taking the time to write a review!... More

5. "Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and helpful. I have run into few giant ego's or 'rockstar' developers. The office is very pleasant. My projects are interesting and use up to date programming practices and languages. It's also nice to have so many diverse developers, I don't feel like the 'only' in the room and the culture is respectful and fun. Plus it is really fun being around a news room and all the innovation coming out of both engineering and the journalists.

Cons

There is some project organization flaws - projects are big, complicated, and with lots of stakeholders which makes things messy. Documentation and skill sharing could be better.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities to network with other departments to help us find a good career path within the post and make sure documentation is up to date! Invest in scrum masters/project managers who understand Agile and actually put it into practice.

Jun 8, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We agree about how friendly our team is! Your feedback is helpful and we'll pass it on so we... More

6. "Lied in job description, micro-managed and talked down to, ignored by HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always something going on to poke your head into.

Cons

1. I was lied to in the job description as to what I was doing. The job description listed out 5-7 different responsibilities I had, but I ended up having just one responsibility that allowed for extreme micromanaging and boring redundant tasks. I ended up being a secretary to senior management rather than ever being able to share ideas, brainstorm or work as a team.
    2. I was lied to about my time schedule. I know I am not the only one this has happened to. I was told 9-5, but ended up having to basically work 'on-call'. 7am-3pm, 12-9pm.
    3. The 3 highest ups in our department had worked together for 9+ years. Everyone else on the team was 2 years or less. The 3 basically ran a dictatorship of the department - never took in anyone else's ideas, was extremely passive aggressive to lower level staff, expected everyone on the team to read their minds. It allowed for a great bonding experience to all mutually dislike the management, but I can see why there is high turnover. The only time I saw someone succeed was when a new young (white) girl who was able to bond over with a manager over food & shopping habits was taken on board. She noticeably dropped the ball on many tasks, missed deadlines, and was always aloof. However, because of this 'bonding', she was given more responsibility faster than others taken on board at the same time.
    4. There were many extremely inappropriate run-ins both me and other lower-lever staff had. When I quit, I brought all of the issues, at the request of my team, including proofs in the form of texts & emails, to HR. Before I even got to talking, HR told me that they couldn't do anything unless it was a 'serious issue' - aka something illegal. They wouldn't even bring my concerns to the head of the department...
    So for whoever is commenting on these Glassdoor reviews creating the illusion that you care - I was told upfront already that you don't.

Advice to Management

Allow reviews of senior management and actually look into concerns.
    It looks like I am not the only one who has been affected by micro-managing from staff that have been there for years and years trying to tell how people hoping to bring new and inspiring ideas to the Post how to do things the 'good ol way'.

Jun 12, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

We're so sorry you a had a negative experience at The Washington Post both on your team and with HR. It may seem futile now, but we really do care and take reviews seriously. We'll make sure our... More

7. "It's a small daily, and management doesn't know what it wants"

Former Employee - Editorial in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Editorial in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can write all you want. Interview anyone. Great experience for entry level.

Cons

Needless drama and favorites, vague guidance by management

Advice to Management

Give employees more flexibility in terms of working location

Apr 14, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're glad you had a lot of autonomy while at The Washington Post. We're concerned about the drama you mention and would love to hear more details. Feel... More

"Engineering Developer/Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's great to be associated with the Washington Post brand and to see the changes that have taken place in the journalism and the ways to distribute it, especially over the past 2-3 years.

Cons

Overall I like the new work space, but not everyone is into the open environment. This leads to difficulty sometimes holding a conversation with a colleague while other people are working nearby. There are never enough places available for holding an impromptu conversation.

Apr 3, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences and we're honored you're proud to work at The Washington Post. Thanks for your feedback about... More

"My experience at The Washington Post"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition & Development Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was seamless and moved quickly. The company culture is both dynamic and inclusive. The office in downtown DC is centrally located and was built with many tech features, which makes it easy to host meetings and events with colleagues and external stakeholders located in other parts of the country and around the globe.

Cons

None to share at this time.

Feb 27, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences and we're glad to hear you've enjoyed our culture. A dynamic and inclusive cultures is something... More

10. "Build your own career!"

Current Employee - Senior Benefits Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Benefits Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's so much to do around here! I've been working in HR Total Rewards since late 2015 and I'm loving the work diversity. I'm never bored and five o'clock always sneaks up on me. I've been able to shape my role and expand it into other areas of interest. I receive support from my peers and manager.

Cons

It was difficult to transition from a highly structured environment to a dynamic, free-form one. I had to learn to ask for support when I needed it and, when appropriate, to move on items without checking in with my manager. Also, The Post has a very long history; learning the culture is critical to success.

Feb 22, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We're glad you're never bored and feel supported by your manager and peers. You offer great... More