The Washington Post Reviews

Updated May 19, 2020

4.3
The Washington Post CEO and Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Pros
  • "Good work/life balance which is rare(in 16 reviews)

• "Everyone at the Post is incredibly bright and forward thinking, making it a fun and challenging work environment(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "The newspaper is made everyday so shifts rotate(in 12 reviews)

• "It is very much an old boys club and unless you’re a white man there is no chance of you rising to any management or upper management position(in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Deeply meaningful work"

Former Employee - Journalist in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The Washington Post is very serious about covering the news and holds its employees to high standards. The newsroom has many fine journalists who are aware of the tradition they follow. If you are committed to journalism and willing to work hard, it is a rewarding experience.

Cons

Journalism pay, although not bad at the Post, in general does not compete well with other industries.

The Washington Post2019-06-24

June 25, 2019The Washington Post Team

Thanks for sharing your experience being part of The Washington Post team. The integrity of our news is the bedrock of The Post. We're glad you have found that to be true. Thanks for being part of the team!

2. "Great work/life balance and interesting work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture has changed a lot in the last year or two on the site side as a software engineer. I am speaking for the site engineering article team specifically with this review. Work/life balance is amazing, there is a great sense of taking ownership, leadership gives us breathing room to make meaningful technical decisions, and the work is very interesting. I haven't had a job this low-stress and interesting in awhile.

Cons

I can't think of any.

The Washington Post2020-05-19

May 21, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate it when our employees take the time to leave us feedback. We are so glad to hear that you feel empowered to make the decisions necessary to keep your work moving forward!

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing team mates and leadership. Continuous technology adoption. Open communication.

Cons

Can be somewhat disorganized at times with less formal career paths.

The Washington Post2020-04-29

April 30, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review! We're so glad to hear that you enjoy working with your team in Chicago. If you need help working out your career path at The Post feel free to send us a confidential email at life@washpost.com.

4. "Great start at a forward thinking company"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Post has been a great place to work especially in an industry struggling to find its footing. Everyone at the Post is incredibly bright and forward thinking, making it a fun and challenging work environment.

Cons

Can't think of any at this time.

The Washington Post2020-04-20

April 22, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

We love to hear from our employees, so thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad that you are finding the work challenging and are enjoying the culture at The Post.

5. "There's room to improve"

4.0
    Current Employee - Video Editor/Producer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's a ton of resources available and professional development opportunities

Cons

I don't feel comfortable saying at this time

The Washington Post2020-05-01

May 5, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate feedback from all our employees (past and present)! We are so glad to hear that you feel you have the resources you need for professional development. If you have further feedback you'd like to give, please feel free to confidentially email us at life@washpost.com.

6. "Glad I accepted the Position"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Manager and team are great. Everyone wants to help

Cons

The only con i see is the commute to DC

The Washington Post2020-04-14

April 20, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review - we appreciate it when our employees (past and present) take the time to leave us a review. We're so glad that you are finding The Post to be a welcoming place to work!

7. "Great company that values people over money"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Maximum flexibility on working hours - Everyone loves what they are doing, creating a great positive environment - Company is really supportive in case of any issue may arise - Company values growth, offering many possibility to learn new skills and advance to your next role

Cons

- 401k match lower than the average of this sector - Health Insurance plans are not the best/cheapest you can find

The Washington Post2020-03-30

April 3, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear that you are enjoying the flexibility the Engineering Team is able to offer and that you feel supported at The Post! We strive to offer a competitive benefits package and evaluate our offerings throughout the year - if you have suggestions on how we can improve please confidentially email us at life@washpost.com.

8. "A good start"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Executives have good visions , but some how that does not get translated by directors . The HR department is AWESOME!! The HR vp is a visionary handles everything with grace . If you start your career here its a great opportunity, but this place does not have tech managers , and does not appreciate managers who work hard .

Cons

Has really old people ( not age wise , mindset wise :|)

The Washington Post2020-04-10

April 13, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review - we appreciate it when our employees take the time to leave us feedback. We are so glad that you feel the HR team is doing a great job and that any issues that arise are handled well. We'd like to hear more about your experiences with management - please feel free to confidentially email us at life@washpost.com

9. "The Washington Post is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Graphics Reporter in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a big organization with lots of very smart and experienced people, so there are opportunities to not only learn but also to advance your career.

Cons

The Post is not a place for people who want to coast and take it easy. This is not a con for me but it could be for some.

The Washington Post2020-03-20

March 23, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are so glad that you are enjoying your time at The Post and that you feel like you have opportunities for growth!

10. "Excellent employer"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always reshaping to be better; very communicative to employees; pushes for a work/life balance; offers guidance and counseling if needed; great culture; really fun and exciting place to work!

Cons

I can't think of any.

The Washington Post2020-03-20

March 23, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate it when employees (past and present) leave us feedback. We are glad to hear that you feel supported in maintaining a good work/life balance and that you are finding The Post an exciting place to work!

Found 293 reviews