The Washington Post Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 6, 2017

Current Employees

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Washington Post CEO & Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.

Pros
  • Work-life balance, benefits, progressive organization (in 11 reviews)

• A great brand name and worldwide reputation (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is cleaning house, mostly female managers disappearing (in 9 reviews)

• There was little transparency from management and a general lack of stability, which are normal news industry things I guess (in 5 reviews)

1. "Innovative culture that embraces diversity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truely innovative culture, millennial-type environment, flexible hours, great office space, embraces and values diversity,

Cons

Lack of structure, some siloed culture at times although improving with time

Jun 12, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for the positive feedback and we're glad you've found The Washington Post a meaningful place to work. We'll pass your feedback to our team. Thanks for taking the time to write a review! ... More

2. "Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and helpful. I have run into few giant ego's or 'rockstar' developers. The office is very pleasant. My projects are interesting and use up to date programming practices and languages. It's also nice to have so many diverse developers, I don't feel like the 'only' in the room and the culture is respectful and fun. Plus it is really fun being around a news room and all the innovation coming out of both engineering and the journalists.

Cons

There is some project organization flaws - projects are big, complicated, and with lots of stakeholders which makes things messy. Documentation and skill sharing could be better.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities to network with other departments to help us find a good career path within the post and make sure documentation is up to date! Invest in scrum masters/project managers who understand Agile and actually put it into practice.

Jun 8, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We agree about how friendly our team is! Your feedback is helpful and we'll pass it on so we ... More

"Engineering Developer/Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's great to be associated with the Washington Post brand and to see the changes that have taken place in the journalism and the ways to distribute it, especially over the past 2-3 years.

Cons

Overall I like the new work space, but not everyone is into the open environment. This leads to difficulty sometimes holding a conversation with a colleague while other people are working nearby. There are never enough places available for holding an impromptu conversation.

Apr 3, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences and we're honored you're proud to work at The Washington Post. Thanks for your feedback about ... More

"My experience at The Washington Post"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition & Development Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was seamless and moved quickly. The company culture is both dynamic and inclusive. The office in downtown DC is centrally located and was built with many tech features, which makes it easy to host meetings and events with colleagues and external stakeholders located in other parts of the country and around the globe.

Cons

None to share at this time.

Feb 27, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences and we're glad to hear you've enjoyed our culture. A dynamic and inclusive cultures is something ... More

5. "Build your own career!"

Current Employee - Senior Benefits Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Benefits Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's so much to do around here! I've been working in HR Total Rewards since late 2015 and I'm loving the work diversity. I'm never bored and five o'clock always sneaks up on me. I've been able to shape my role and expand it into other areas of interest. I receive support from my peers and manager.

Cons

It was difficult to transition from a highly structured environment to a dynamic, free-form one. I had to learn to ask for support when I needed it and, when appropriate, to move on items without checking in with my manager. Also, The Post has a very long history; learning the culture is critical to success.

Feb 22, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We're glad you're never bored and feel supported by your manager and peers. You offer great ... More

6. "Good pay, bad morale"

Current Employee - Press Operator in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Springfield, VA

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is great, triple time on holidays. No time clock so we get to slip out a little early at times.

Cons

Every little incident is blown out of proportion. Even incidents that are proven to be based on a misunderstanding will have you under a microscope for years. Some managers seem to think it's not their job to manage but to reduce head count for spurious reasons.

Advice to Management

Treat your people right. We are all giving it all out every night.

Feb 27, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We take it very seriously and would love to hear more about the incidents you mention. Feel free to e-mail us: life@washpost.com. Thank you again for your ... More

7. "Was a nice place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are interested in working on digital news display and content, this is a great place.

Cons

The company is on a slow decline to irrelevancy. Morale is low, the direction of the company is not known, and the leadership is non-existent, especially in the IT department.

Feb 27, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We're sorry to hear that morale is done in the IT department. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to work for all ... More

"Exciting, diverse & dynamic place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

There is no doubt that working for one of the top media companies like The Washington Post is anything less than exciting and prideful. Walking through the newsroom and seeing firsthand all the brilliant minds of journalists, reporters & engineers thriving to get their stories out is just amazing.

Pay is generally higher than what I've seen for similar positions at other DC companies.

Last, but certainly not least, the people. The Post has a relatively young workforce and everyone is just filled with energy and creativity. There is no sense of "competition" or politics that you may see at other organizations. The Post relies on a collaborative work environment and that is how they have become so successful with their tech & digital transformation.

Cons

I haven't come across any cons yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Dec 19, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We agree! The people help make The Post such a great place to work. Thank you for choosing to ... More

"Ivory Tower Atmosphere of Misery"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Readership is growing, and Bezos has inspired drive for innovation. New headquarters building in DC is clean and nice.

Cons

Upper management is cleaning house, mostly female managers disappearing. Very little interaction between CRO and sales, same method he did with Time - get rid of majority of existing middle management, leaving the scared few as henchmen to start cleaning out salesforce. They are not above manipulating the numbers to 'entice' employees to leave, yet offering packages to walk out the door. CRO fails to interact with the majority, and demands hires of those he knows or specifies the company he wants them to come from. Atmosphere of fear, distrust and misery. I would not recommend working for this heartless company, as they treat sales terrible, especially women over the age of 40. Thankless job for management, as most disappear unless they become yes-men regardless of impact on others or their own dignity. Compensation is lacking, and they are not above making changes without telling you.

Advice to Management

Stop being such prima donnas and treating those who generate revenue like lower class citizens. You all are not that special, get out of the ivory tower, stop rewarding soulless yes-men and start focusing on client relationships instead of RFP answerers.

Dec 9, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for your feedback. Although it's hard to hear negative feedback, we do value it and we're sorry you had a negative experience. We’d love to hear more specifics. Feel free to e-mail us ... More

"Manager"

Current Employee - Industry IS Dying in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Industry IS Dying in Springfield, VA

Pros

Pay is the only thing positive about this company. Income-bonus-pension-401K.
    Nothing else.

Cons

Company has no structured programs. They make it up as they go. This carelessness creates risk and positions them to be sued by current and pas employees.
    They do not follow DOT. They do not care about their drivers.
    Wolf-pack, group-think mentality prevents their logistics from progressing.

Advice to Management

Instead of protecting your own hide after the fact, why not do the right think first.

Dec 9, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We take the value of our employees very seriously and would love to hear more specifics. Please e-mail us so we can continue the dialogue: life@washpost.com ... More