The Washington Post Reviews | Glassdoor

The Washington Post Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance, benefits, progressive organization (in 10 reviews)

• The Post relies on a collaborative work environment and that is how they have become so successful with their tech & digital transformation (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is cleaning house, mostly female managers disappearing (in 10 reviews)

• There was little transparency from management and a general lack of stability, which are normal news industry things I guess (in 5 reviews)

1. "Journalist"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you're good at what you do, they'll let you do it. Creative and secure managers allow members of their team to flourish, to explore new talents, to experiment.

Cons

It's a tough place. Not sure I really think that's a con, but if you're not built Ford tough, you can be crushed. As long as you know who you are, you can thrive.

Advice to Management

Leaders serve.

Oct 11, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review especially after being at The Post for more than ten years! We value your feedback since you know this place so well. We agree about the creativity and... More

2. "Software Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovation, Flex-Time, Location, parking garage, good working equipment

Cons

Boys club, weak leadership, favoritism, benefits, paid parking

Sep 18, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience at The Washington Post. We really do mean it's the people who make us who we are and you're part of that. We're glad you've found The... More

3. "Good Internship"

Pros

- Was on a real team not in an 'internship program'

Cons

- Work day started late

Sep 1, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for leaving a review. We're so glad you had a positive internship with us. We always make sure interns work on real projects and it's a fun, supportive environment for them. Thanks again for... More

"Great people, mission, and culture"

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Dedicated people, from top to bottom, committed to the broader mission of journalism
    - Culture of innovation and experimentation, especially with Bezos ethos infused throughout the organization
    - Focus on employee development

Cons

- With limited growth can come limited opportunities for development and career pathing
    - Still some vestiges of consensus-based decision-making can slow down some projections

Advice to Management

Continue to explore new best practices for management and training, and continue to find ways to develop your most committed people

Sep 1, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for telling us about your experience being part of The Washington Post family. We agree that our people are focused and dedicated and innovation is part of who we are. Thanks for your feedback... More

"An Exciting Time to Work in Media"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I regularly hear from highly tenured people at The Post that we are in the midst of another golden era of the paper, reminiscent of the Watergate years. I wasn't here for that period, but I can attest to the fact that it's an exciting time to be at this organization. Since the sale of the paper to our new owner, we have been encouraged to think big, be innovative in our approach to obstacles and challenges, push the envelope and ask how we can differentiate our products and experiences for subscribers. The environment feels creative and collaborative and my projects are interesting and challenging.

Cons

It's a big organization so sometimes it's hard to know what is going on in areas outside of your department.

Jul 31, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

We agree- it is an exciting time to work at The Washington Post with the cutting edge journalism and technology taking place daily. We're glad you've found a home here and can't wait to continue to... More

"The good outweighs the bad"

I have been working at The Washington Post part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A forward-thinking culture that embraces using ideas as currency and does a good job of recognizing outside talent. Very good pay and benefits, as well as perks like the outdoor seating areas.

Cons

I often get the sense that internal promotion is viewed very negatively at the organizational level. While some new hires are made internally, the decision-makers tend to close themselves off to the very strong pool of candidates from within the paper already, and that is extremely disheartening.

Advice to Management

Continue to recruit young talent at the lower-level positions, while not making those people stick around to watch other people hired for roles that they're already more than qualified for.

Jul 31, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback. It shows you're invested in The Washington Post and we really appreciate that. We're glad you've enjoyed the benefits and other perks of working at... More

"Don't trust upper management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

The regular employees are usually a good bunch, creative and fun to be around

Cons

Upper management is seriously only out for themselves. Do not trust anyone, especially Employee Relations. If they offer you a retention bonus, RUN.

Advice to Management

Stop being awful people.

Aug 4, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

We are so sorry you had a negative experience at The Post. We really do take this seriously and would love to hear more so we can be a better place to work for all. Email us at life@washpost.com... More

8. "Best Decision I've Made So Far - I Love The Post!"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some said leaving a "Career Company" for a news publishing company was a risky move; however, being at the forefront of quality journalism and engineering advances in the industry supported by dedicated employees and of course a wealthy owner turned out to be the best career decision I've made so far! I absolutely love this place.

What I love most about The Post?
    - The people - friendly and hardworking
    - The positive and engaging work environment
    - The location - sleek building in downtown DC - Franklin park/penthouse rooftop/Lobby Floor Gym
    - The mission - quality journalism supported by boundary pushing technology

Cons

None so far. Employer continues to listen, improve engagement and employee benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Especially with improving employee benefits and perks. You have developed a wonderful work environment for your employees. Bravo!

Jul 3, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We agree about The Post being made of great people! Thank you for choosing to be part of The Washington Post team!

9. "Happy to be at the Post"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with across the company.
    Healthy work environment.
    Values contributions of employees
    Dynamic, creative workplace
    Rewarding experience

Cons

I have not encountered downside

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize the creativity of all employees in furthering the mission.

Jul 3, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. Thank you for choosing to be part of The Washington Post team!

10. "It is true...it is an exciting time to be at The Post"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work, culture, work space, and comradery are all great. There are a lot of exciting and innovative things going on at The Post. The Post has several ways to keep the employees engaged and informed, which is a huge plus!

Cons

If coming from a slower workplace, you may feel overwhelmed and/or stressed at the pace at which The Post operates. However, after a few weeks/months, I think an employee can find their rhythm and pace.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with all levels of staff with the vehicles that are currently in place. I think they are working well. Perhaps in the future, consider alternate work schedules in all departments that can, such as 4/10 or 9/80.

Jul 3, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences and are encouraged you've found a home here at The Post. Thank you for choosing to be part of... More