The Washington Post Reviews | Glassdoor

The Washington Post Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance, benefits, progressive organization (in 10 reviews)

• The Post relies on a collaborative work environment and that is how they have become so successful with their tech & digital transformation (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is cleaning house, mostly female managers disappearing (in 10 reviews)

• There was little transparency from management and a general lack of stability, which are normal news industry things I guess (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great people, tech, and mission"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a lot I love about working at the Post. But if I had to pick one it's the people. That sounds dorky but it is true. It is a very collegial environment with support and shared efforts and jokes. When something goes wrong we fix it and try to figure out how to make it so it doesn't happen again -- we don't figure out who's to blame and we don't try to hide the mistake.

I also love the mission. I could be working on yet another photo sharing app, or I could be helping save democracy. I choose the latter.

The technology is great too. Development teams have a lot of autonomy, they can pick the right languages and tools to solve their problem. ARC Publishing is exciting and might be a huge success.

Cons

Things are moving very quickly both internally and with ARC. This results in some minor planning chaos and sometimes building the wrong thing. But in some ways it's like a startup so that comes with the deal.

Jun 8, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences and sounds like you've had a great experience so far. We'll pass on your feedback to our team... More

2. "Innovative culture that embraces diversity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truely innovative culture, millennial-type environment, flexible hours, great office space, embraces and values diversity,

Cons

Lack of structure, some siloed culture at times although improving with time

Jun 12, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for the positive feedback and we're glad you've found The Washington Post a meaningful place to work. We'll pass your feedback to our team. Thanks for taking the time to write a review!... More

3. "Lied in job description, micro-managed and talked down to, ignored by HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always something going on to poke your head into.

Cons

1. I was lied to in the job description as to what I was doing. The job description listed out 5-7 different responsibilities I had, but I ended up having just one responsibility that allowed for extreme micromanaging and boring redundant tasks. I ended up being a secretary to senior management rather than ever being able to share ideas, brainstorm or work as a team.
    2. I was lied to about my time schedule. I know I am not the only one this has happened to. I was told 9-5, but ended up having to basically work 'on-call'. 7am-3pm, 12-9pm.
    3. The 3 highest ups in our department had worked together for 9+ years. Everyone else on the team was 2 years or less. The 3 basically ran a dictatorship of the department - never took in anyone else's ideas, was extremely passive aggressive to lower level staff, expected everyone on the team to read their minds. It allowed for a great bonding experience to all mutually dislike the management, but I can see why there is high turnover. The only time I saw someone succeed was when a new young (white) girl who was able to bond over with a manager over food & shopping habits was taken on board. She noticeably dropped the ball on many tasks, missed deadlines, and was always aloof. However, because of this 'bonding', she was given more responsibility faster than others taken on board at the same time.
    4. There were many extremely inappropriate run-ins both me and other lower-lever staff had. When I quit, I brought all of the issues, at the request of my team, including proofs in the form of texts & emails, to HR. Before I even got to talking, HR told me that they couldn't do anything unless it was a 'serious issue' - aka something illegal. They wouldn't even bring my concerns to the head of the department...
    So for whoever is commenting on these Glassdoor reviews creating the illusion that you care - I was told upfront already that you don't.

Advice to Management

Allow reviews of senior management and actually look into concerns.
    It looks like I am not the only one who has been affected by micro-managing from staff that have been there for years and years trying to tell how people hoping to bring new and inspiring ideas to the Post how to do things the 'good ol way'.

Jun 12, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

We're so sorry you a had a negative experience at The Washington Post both on your team and with HR. It may seem futile now, but we really do care and take reviews seriously. We'll make sure our... More

"I feel obligated to inform you that there has never been/will never be coffee at the Washington post"

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's everything you've heard: innovative, filled with brilliant people, fast-paced. If you work there you will likely get to get your hands on some kind of cool/important/significant project in some way. The people are generally great.

Cons

Again, it's everything you've heard: bureaucratic, internal politics lean conservative, and despite what leadership says, is still extremely print-centric. Young people don't have a huge chance to move up the ranks here (though it is done sometimes). It is a great place for young people to come, put in a few years, and then move on somewhere that gets them. Also, if you're a woman, negotiate your pay because they have still not publicly committed to addressing the pay gap.

And like I said in the title, there is not coffee in this office. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the people who have left in the last five years, and ask yourself why. There is a pattern.

Jun 8, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for the review and feedback. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to work for all. We’d love to hear more specifics especially around your... More

5. "Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and helpful. I have run into few giant ego's or 'rockstar' developers. The office is very pleasant. My projects are interesting and use up to date programming practices and languages. It's also nice to have so many diverse developers, I don't feel like the 'only' in the room and the culture is respectful and fun. Plus it is really fun being around a news room and all the innovation coming out of both engineering and the journalists.

Cons

There is some project organization flaws - projects are big, complicated, and with lots of stakeholders which makes things messy. Documentation and skill sharing could be better.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities to network with other departments to help us find a good career path within the post and make sure documentation is up to date! Invest in scrum masters/project managers who understand Agile and actually put it into practice.

Jun 8, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We agree about how friendly our team is! Your feedback is helpful and we'll pass it on so we... More

6. "Great"

I worked at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

Contract work but overall they were great

Apr 14, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for writing a review and we're so glad you enjoyed your time at The Post. Thanks again for being part of the team!

7. "Global Sales"

I worked at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

A great brand name and worldwide reputation.

Cons

Fewer resources for the daily and Sunday print products.

Advice to Management

Recognize that people still read daily newspapers.

May 1, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for writing a review and letting us know about your time at The Washington Post. Your feedback is helpful and we'll pass it onto our team. If you have any other feedback, feel free to email... More

8. "It's a small daily, and management doesn't know what it wants"

Former Employee - Editorial in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Editorial in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can write all you want. Interview anyone. Great experience for entry level.

Cons

Needless drama and favorites, vague guidance by management

Advice to Management

Give employees more flexibility in terms of working location

Apr 14, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're glad you had a lot of autonomy while at The Washington Post. We're concerned about the drama you mention and would love to hear more details. Feel... More

9. "great place to work"

Pros

Great colleagues, dynamic environment. You will learn a lot.

Cons

A lot of work (after hours)

Apr 14, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're glad you've found The Post dynamic and enjoy our colleagues. It's the people who really make The Post. Thanks again for the review and being part... More

"Engineering Developer/Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's great to be associated with the Washington Post brand and to see the changes that have taken place in the journalism and the ways to distribute it, especially over the past 2-3 years.

Cons

Overall I like the new work space, but not everyone is into the open environment. This leads to difficulty sometimes holding a conversation with a colleague while other people are working nearby. There are never enough places available for holding an impromptu conversation.

Apr 3, 2017 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences and we're honored you're proud to work at The Washington Post. Thanks for your feedback about... More