The Washington Post Reviews | Glassdoor

The Washington Post Reviews

Updated April 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work-life balance, benefits, progressive organization (in 11 reviews)

• Top of the line technology and a great brand behind you if you want to push your personal limits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is cleaning house, mostly female managers disappearing (in 9 reviews)

• There was little transparency from management and a general lack of stability, which are normal news industry things I guess (in 5 reviews)

1. "Engineering Team Rocks!"

Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome, dynamic, progressive company. It has been my dream to work here and I am lucky enough to call this my dream employer. World class organization.

Cons

Some of the practices that come with a legacy organization is changing quickly. We are focused on speed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We agree! The Washington Post Engineering team rocks! Along with our deeply rooted principles of integrity and trust, The Washington Post values ideas ... More

2. "Exciting place to be in if you want to reinvent the media industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn and to develop and implement your ideas. It is never boring. People are smart. Standards are high and getting higher. Overall, good work-life balance. The values are strong and it feels good to be working toward greater good.

Cons

The media industry is shifting very rapidly. There is a lot of change and it will continue. This is an exciting, but not very stable environment. You will need to reinvent yourself all the time. It might not be for people, who are not good with constant change.

Advice to Management

Continue reducing silos. Communicate more.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Along with our deeply rooted principles of integrity and trust, The Washington Post values ideas, speed, and ownership. We love hearing about our ... More

3. "Advertising Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every department from HR down to Advertising believes in career growth. If you work hard, prove yourself, have an open mind, and can adapt to change, you can move up fairly quickly. I've never worked for a company that believes in career growth as strongly as The Washington Post does. Management takes great interest and proactive steps on helping determined and proven employees reach their career goals.

Cons

If you do not have an open mind on change and are not a team player, this may not be the company for you. If you are looking to coast along at your job and are not open to innovation or change, this may not be the company for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive energy and momentum, and continue recognizing employees' desire to grow our careers!

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Along with our deeply rooted principles of integrity and trust, The Washington Post values ideas, speed, and ownership. We're glad your career has grown ... More

5. "SALES"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

Overall great company with plenty of growth opportunities.

Cons

Work/Life balance is lacking. Work loads very heavy at times. High turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Upper managment could be more professional. Company should be also be more family friendly with a better work/life balance.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for the review and feedback especially about management. We're focusing on leadership/management and launched The Leadership Project, a series of ongoing development opportunities for all ... More

"Uneducated Managers( Foreman) in the production Department,are oppressing poor labors."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule,good par-time on call job.Bright future if deep changes have been applied quickly.

Cons

No decent wage for labors who spent many years in the production department.Many Foreman are creating a hostile work environment.Most of them should retire First, because they do not have the proper managerial education skills.Second,they do not really ad any value anymore to our final product.A machine can be run by a competent experienced Mailer or even Utility Mailer. With out exaggeration most of them their value to the company now is obsolete.The company talks about minimizing the production cost.Can you imagine one machine is running by 5 to 4 foreman plus at least 5 crew members !!!

Advice to Management

Many Utility Mailers are actively seeking other jobs because they feel mistreated and abusive workplace practices are increasing against them by Foreman.Many of them are complaining but nothing has changed.Now they are turning to Equal Employment Opportunity Commission so the image of this great Company will be hurt . Production Department and warehouse should now be outsourced because it make more sense.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We're sorry to hear your experience with management. We're focusing on leadership/management and even launched this year The Leadership Project, a series of ... More

7. "Forward thinking engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Experimentation encouraged, early access to new/unreleased devices, fully AWS-powered

Cons

Other depts aren't as up to speed as Engineering

Dec 9, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees' positive experiences. Thank you for choosing to be part of The Washington Post team!

8. "Frustrating and so much more potential than they realized"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product, reporters, journalism, benefits, company values, and the overall work environment. The building was antiquated but had a decent gym.

Cons

Leadership wanted to keep things the status quo. No sense of urgency to change things to stay relevant as a news organization. Rewarded more for looking busy than for meeting quota.

Advice to Management

There have been some significant changes, I hope it is for the better.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for your feedback. One major change at The Post is our new building with an even better gym available for all employees. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a ... More

"It's a new world"

Current Employee - Advertising Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Advertising Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Post is working hard to be a leader in the new world of media.

Cons

The best jobs are working on the cutting edge of media, and in the news room. Roles that support the news room (advertising, production) are not high-profile with C-level executives.

Advice to Management

Media culture is changing, that is clear. But the groups in charge of internal communication and morale-building activities/benefits have not been on the cutting edge. So much could be done for so little.
    For starters, get some people with charisma to dole out inspiration from the top.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for the review and feedback. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to work for all. We’d love to hear more specifics. Feel free to e-mail us ... More

"My only job where I got awesome salary and a lot of challenging work."

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to work on cutting edge technologies, lot of projects in latest trends.
    Two day work from home.

Cons

it took me more than a minute to think of a CON, that means I have none, or are not significant.

Dec 9, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking time to write a review. We're so glad you're having a positive experience working at The Washington Post. Thank you for choosing to be part of the team!

"Great people who were angry that the future was hurting their former monopoly."

Former Employee - Digital Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Digital Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Surround yourself with people who write the first drafts of history. A culture of patience that values accuracy to the max. Values are strong and rewarded.

Cons

A culture that sees the future as a threat and not an opportunity.

Advice to Management

Don't reward people that keep looking to the past.

Dec 13, 2016 – The Washington Post Team

Thank you for the review and feedback. Our culture is defined by three catalysts: speed, innovation, and ownership. With that, we are positioning ourselves as a media and media technology company ... More