KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The Washington Post

Engaged Employer

The Washington Post

Add a Review

The Washington Post Employee Reviews about "newsroom"

Updated Jan 6, 2021

Found 29 of over 458 reviews

4.4
The Washington Post CEO and Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Pros
  • "Work-life-balance is extremely good(in 29 reviews)

• "The Post is one of the world's best organizations to do impactful journalism(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Newsroom diversity still an issue(in 18 reviews)

• "Diversity is still an issue in the newsroom, as well as in upper management(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Washington Post and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "newsroom"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, meaningful work, zero egos.

Dec 18, 2020 - Senior Product Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The work culture is great. Everyone I've worked with from engineering to the newsroom is very collaborative. Zero egos. - Leadership is hands-on. They care about you and the work that you do. Senior management will know you by name. - They promote internally. A lot of companies get talent from outside but WaPo has a culture of cultivating talent from the inside first before looking elsewhere. - Work is extremely meaningful. Everyone shares in the goal of the pursuit of truth and that democracy dies in darkness. - Work-life-balance is extremely good!

Cons

- Compensation package is below average if you work in technology. You get no guaranteed annual bonus or stock options. Management is actively working on this and hopefully, we get to parity with other companies. - Turnover is high on the engineering side as a result - great talent are being poached by tech companies. - 401k package is below average but the WaPo does match - HMO is limited to those based in DC, MD and VA. If you work out of state, prepare to get on a high deductible plan. - Annual increases are merit-based and it is unclear how you are able to get it. (You and your team might score high in your performance review but someone with a lower score could get the increase.)

3 people found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. It’s great to see that you experience a collaborative work culture, hands-on leadership and growth at The Post. With compensation, we aim to pay our employees fairly and equitably. If you are concerned with your pay, please reach out to hr@washpost.com and we’ll set up a review for you with our compensation team. Thanks for being part of The Washington Post team and please always feel free to give us feedback on here or by emailing life@washpost.com.

2. 5.0

I love working for The Post

Nov 11, 2020 - Assignment Editor in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Post values collaboration, rewards hard work, is innovative and focused on growth and success throughout the organization. It's a culture mostly free of newsroom politics and full of genuinely nice & thoughtful people. I have the resources I need to create impactful journalism and feel really fortunate to work for The Post at a time when many U.S. newsrooms are suffering,

Cons

The Post is working to improve its record promoting people of color but there's room for improvement, especially in the upper ranks. The Post has improved in this area of late but should keep pressing.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your thoughtful review about working at The Post. We are glad that you are experiencing our rewarding and innovative culture. At The Post, we continue to build initiatives focused on diversity, inclusion and equity based on demographic data and feedback like yours. If you have any other feedback or recommendations, please email us at life@washpost.com

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, fulfilling work.

Sep 24, 2020 - Product Designer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are the best part of the job. The Post excels at hiring smart, thoughtful people who actually care about the work they do. - The work is fulfilling. It feels like you're actually making a difference. - I have felt very valued and taken care of during the transition to remote work during coronavirus. - Healthy work/life balance. I've never felt pressured to work evenings or weekends. - The atmosphere and culture in the office is great!

Cons

- The Post has been around for a long time, and there is still a lot of old-school thinking in the newsroom. That often leads to tension with the engineering team, especially when it comes to approaching strategy for digital products. - Baseline compensation is fair but not overly generous. - Health benefits, retirement benefits, and all other perks are lacking. Even when it comes to things like budgets for occasional team outings or Christmas parties, it feels like the Post is below average.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and thoughtful review. We’re glad to hear about your positive experience with the culture, the difference-making work you do and the WFH pandemic transition. We appreciate your candid feedback regarding increasing budget for the smaller items, benefits and driving more innovative thinking. We want to hear more! Feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

The Post stands for its values

Oct 13, 2020 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

- A mission-driven company. No matter where you are in the organization, you feel like you are supporting the greater values and have impact on what The Post does. - Innovation is happening in every corner of this place. It's exciting, it gives you a challenge, it's a source of pride. - The Post has been good to its employees in these difficult times. Lots of info, no layoffs, a bonus to all employees, increased benefits.

Cons

- The pace is very high and it's relentless. This can be a challenge, particularly in some parts of the Newsroom where it couples with the stress of covering difficult topics.

The Washington Post Team

2020 is a unique year to say it lightly, but to your point, we're grateful we've had no layoffs or furloughs. In fact, we continue to rapidly hire, grow and every employee received a bonus check. Thanks for your work during the pandemic. We're glad you're part of The Washington Post team.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stability and Support

Sep 24, 2020 - Operations Lead in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at The Post for over three years and have been able to move around the organization while trying the best "home" for my skillset. Each manager I've worked for as treated me like a person, not just an employee, partnering with me to help build my career. The office environment is very different depending on what team you're on, but I haven't found one I've enjoyed more in my professional career. Especially with the pandemic, I realize how much I miss the office, the team collaboration, the knowledge share opportunities.

Cons

Salary is not as competitive a you'd expect from one of the most prestigious media companies in the world. I can't speak for Newsroom, but I have found that my pay for the different jobs I've had throughout the Business, Engineering and Advertising teams is consistently under what Glassdoor averages for the geolocation and years of experience associated with those roles.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for writing a review on your experience with The Post. While we are delighted to see that you have been able to experience multiple team cultures and grow with each role, we’d like to learn more about your feedback. Feel free to confidentially e-mail us more details and/or ask for a compensation review at life@washpost.com. Thanks!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, grow your design career and make a global impact

Sep 23, 2020 - Senior Product Designer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing and talented design team, you can learn from the best - Supportive teammates and design management - Opportunities for advancement within the company, budget for continued training - Fast-paced, innovation forward company - Small design team offers every member an opportunity to create a large impact

Cons

- Very fast paced, chaotic at times - Can be a high stress environment - Work-life balance can be a challenge, especially around big news events - Each team has its own culture- which sometimes leads to office politics/turf wars - Newsroom led company, legacy brand can challenge innovation at times - Healthcare benefits are not great

The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful review of working at The Post. We’re glad it’s been an overall positive experience. Thanks for your insights on workplace stress, work/life balance around big news events, legacy/innovation struggle and benefits. We take these concerns seriously and if you have any other details/ideas on how we can improve, feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com.

7. 4.0
      Current Intern, less than 1 year

Great teamwork, but low diversity and institutional knowledge/transparency

Dec 19, 2020 - Intern in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company mission and modesty: From what I've seen, Post employees believe in the public service of journalism and are willing to acknowledge their own failings and room for growth, especially as it relates to diversity and equity. Talk is cheap, of course, but I am encouraged by the direction of The Post, and I am happy to say that I contribute to its work toward a more informed and equitable world. Space for employees' exploration and ideas: As an intern on the engineering team, I have so greatly appreciated the willingness of my boss and others to not only hear me out on my ideas and interests, but also encourage me to explore them and keep conversations going, despite my status as an intern. In past internships, I've felt like an intern, whereas with The Post I've felt like a true member of the team, with the flexibility to try new things and even lead specific efforts. Others on the team have been so gracious with their time, and I've never felt lost because I can always count on a response from someone, even remotely. This has helped me feel more confident and has opened the door to many opportunities for which I am extremely grateful. Organization of engineering workflow/communication: While I have concerns about institutional knowledge (see Cons), I feel that we do a good job following Agile development practices. We use Jira for organizing sprint work, we hold daily standup meetings over Zoom and we use Slack for lots of other daily team (and company-wide) communication. Support always feels available, and the environment feels laid-back and fun (lots of puns, gifs and emojis, in particular), even though we are working hard. Team members frequently drop everything to review a pull request for someone, help someone with debugging or just answer questions, and that is a testament to the focus placed on teamwork.

Cons

Low racial diversity: While I have been encouraged by the relatively high amount of female leadership and overall female presence on The Post's engineering teams, the lack of racial diversity among engineers (and in the newsroom/company in general) is inexcusable, hurts the company and hurts the people we serve. The Post needs to hire and promote more people of color, especially Black people, who are severely underrepresented. It's frustrating that percentage breakdowns of The Post's engineering team by race and gender were not shared with employees this year, despite newsroom percentages being shared at town halls. Lack of transparency surrounding salary and hiring/promotion practices: In addition to my concerns about the lack of transparency surrounding The Post's diversity efforts, I have concerns about the lack of transparency in hiring more generally. When I was initially approached about being hired full-time, I was informed of a range of salaries that people filling the same position are typically offered. I was then offered a salary below that range entirely, and I was given no clear explanation. After expressing my discomfort and confusion, I was offered a salary at exactly the bottom of the range, and the offer was not increased from there. It was not until after raising concerns multiple times that I was given context for the offer that helped clear things up a bit. In contrast, a friend interning with Facebook was able to describe to me in detail the processes and considerations for pay and promotion because the environment at Facebook had been much more transparent. Unsurprisingly, this friend seemed much more comfortable and confident about the process through which they were hired. Appraisals are more frequent at Facebook as well (twice per year vs. once per year at The Post). The Post should facilitate a more open discussion, through services like Glassdoor, online forums, etc., regarding how it makes decisions on starting salaries, raises and promotions. I was definitely put off by my experience, and I imagine greater transparency will directly benefit The Post by helping it hire more confident and comfortable employees. Overly decentralized sharing of information and resources: The Post's engineering team is full of passionate, kind and hardworking people, but the company shouldn't rely on them as individuals to share important resources and information to fellow employees, especially new hires who may be overwhelmed or lost. Some sort of guide or wiki for new engineers could go a long way, in addition to separate institutional knowledge bases within sub-teams and even for projects like the one I worked on this summer. There are definitely times that my work is hindered due to a lack of institutional knowledge and (a separate but related issue) communication between the newsroom and engineering. Some project requirements have not been known until relatively late in the process, for instance. The issue of institutional knowledge and resources applies to community-building as well. I can't speak for marginalized and underrepresented groups, but I haven't seen any company-wide mention of Slack channels or other groups where people with similar backgrounds or experiences can meet each other. Considering the size of The Post, it seems like organizing and publicizing these types of resources would be very valuable.

8. 4.0

Exciting time to work at The Post

Nov 10, 2020 - Producer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of cross-newsroom opportunities, the overall ethos of the organization is collaboration so it offers lots of room for growth especially for up and coming young journalists.

Cons

Diversity is still an issue in the newsroom, as well as in upper management. As with any other organization in this industry it is a bit more difficult to exist within it as a journalist of color so having a robust support system inside and outside work is key.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience working at The Post. We enjoy hearing about your experiences with innovation and professional growth. We also appreciate your thoughts on diversity, inclusion and equity. This is an important issue that we continue to build upon, and feedback like yours in very helpful. If you have any more thoughts on how we can improve, feel free to confidentially email us at life@washpost.com.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A port in the storm during the pandemic, and before

Sep 16, 2020 - Staff Reporter in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Welcoming staff; thorough job training; opportunities for continued education; generous moving stipend; 6 month parental leave; empathetic management; having your work be seen by a massive audience.

Cons

1) Before the pandemic, a con was not being able to work remotely. That could be more flexible after we go back to the office. Would be great to have that be a more accepted practice. 2) Newsroom diversity still an issue

The Washington Post Team

We’re glad that you see the culture and benefits as one that empowers employees. Thank you for also mentioning diversity and remote working. The Washington Post performs best when we have a diverse and inclusive culture. So far, we’ve added more diversity-focused roles and launched an annual report to track how we are performing in this area. We’d like to learn more about your perspective on diversity and remote working. Feel free to confidentially email us at life@washpost.com to give more detailed feedback.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fast-paced newsroom

Jan 6, 2021 - Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

There's a wide breadth of knowledge in the newsroom, as well as opportunities for development and growth, but only if you're willing to put in very long hours.

Cons

There is an over-reliance on analytics and clicks to dictate content, rather than letting newsworthiness guide story assignments.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for writing about your experience at The Washington Post. We’re glad you’ve experienced development and growth while working at The Post. We strive to make development opportunities available across the organization with programs such as The Leadership Project and The Growth Project. If you’d like to learn more about these programs, feel free to email us at life@washpost.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 Reviews