KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

The Washington Post Employee Reviews about "newsroom"

Updated Sep 29, 2021

Found 16 of over 537 reviews

4.3
The Washington Post CEO and Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Washington Post and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "newsroom"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0

it's complicated

May 26, 2019 - Scrum Master in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

well lit, comfortable office cool products socially relevant and valuable customer (the newsroom)

Cons

complex and disorganized management structure so many managers superhero culture top down power structure with strong features of micromanagement, and paranoid, rigid control chaos creates burnout and random constant direction changes at every level

4 people found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

We’re disappointed to hear your feedback about working at The Washington Post. We take it seriously as we strive to be a great place to work for everyone. In terms of management, we’ve invested in growing a strong management and leadership team. Several years ago, we launched The Leadership Project to train, coach, and come alongside managers so they can build strong teams. Your feedback suggests otherwise and we’d like to hear more so that we can better understand what support we can provide. Feel free to confidentially email us with more specific details so we can address it: life@washpost.com. Thanks in advance.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome coworkers. Good place for long-term career.

Jan 3, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Most, if not all, of the coworkers are both smart and kind -Managers/editors care about people. They are usually thoughtful and supportive. -There are different career paths to explore if you want to -The pay reflects industry standard and better than most newsroom. They don't try to lowball people.

Cons

-Working from home is discouraged. The higher management had a back-to the office mandate plan.

3. 1.0
    Current Employee

Editorial

Oct 3, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Name recognition is great. It opens many doors, and you'll get access in many different public avenues for story coverage.

Cons

There is no room to grow. The rumor about the old-school leadership being 'dinosaurs' is true. It's common to see editors and managers get promoted to their current jobs after great, illustrious careers as writers and reporters. A great reporter, however, doesn't always make a great leader. I've had more than a couple bosses that have horrible 'bed-side manners' with volatile temperaments; they lack interpersonal skills. It speaks volumes that they just don't know how to treat their employees professionally. Lots of yelling and trashing people behind their backs, even at team meetings. There's also a culture of blame when mistakes are made. No one owns up. (For example, the photo team blames editorial for their lack of communication, and then the editorial team blames photo team for being slow and stubborn; vice versa). The different teams here do not work well together, and it doesn't look like it's getting better. Also, the pay is generally low and you have to work holidays, as the newsroom never sleeps.

1 person found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to give us honest feedback. We want to be a great place to work for all and your feedback is helpful in working toward that. We take your points very seriously as career development, breaking down silos, and training our leadership are important to us. Several years ago, we launched The Leadership Project, a program that nurtures a community of leaders looking to develop their leadership capacity and advance The Post’s mission. Through The Leadership Project, managers go through training and exercises to ensure they are leading well. In addition to The Leadership Project, we’re working with the Poynter Institute on advanced leadership training and the second class was completed last week. Inspired by both these efforts, we launched The Growth Project this year to provide all employees with opportunities to develop, learn, and collaborate with each other. Despite these two programs, it sounds like they were not helpful to you. In order for us to grow, we’d love to hear more about your situation. Feel free to confidentially and anonymously e-mail us at life@washpost.com. Thank you!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A port in the storm during the pandemic, and before

Sep 16, 2020 - Staff Reporter in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Welcoming staff; thorough job training; opportunities for continued education; generous moving stipend; 6 month parental leave; empathetic management; having your work be seen by a massive audience.

Cons

1) Before the pandemic, a con was not being able to work remotely. That could be more flexible after we go back to the office. Would be great to have that be a more accepted practice. 2) Newsroom diversity still an issue

The Washington Post Team

We’re glad that you see the culture and benefits as one that empowers employees. Thank you for also mentioning diversity and remote working. The Washington Post performs best when we have a diverse and inclusive culture. So far, we’ve added more diversity-focused roles and launched an annual report to track how we are performing in this area. We’d like to learn more about your perspective on diversity and remote working. Feel free to confidentially email us at life@washpost.com to give more detailed feedback.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Talented people, working hard toTa convey good vvvvjournalism.

Aug 12, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunity for people who are committed and ambitious. A newsroom open to ideas and innovation. Our industry is going through tremendous change, but The Post at least is open to change, and now with the purchase by Jeff Bezos, I'm sure you'll see more change.

Cons

Quality of editors varies, some excellent, some not so much. Some editors not adventurous enough, or insightful enough to spot good ideas and implement them or not confident enough to let their reporters run with a good idea.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ (past and present) positive experiences working with us. We've passed on your feedback to our team and if you have any other feedback, feel free to email us: life@washpost.com. Thank you for allowing The Washington Post to be part of your career journey!

6. 4.0
    Former Employee

Warm Family in Need of some Counseling

Jul 30, 2010 - Section News Aide in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

There's nothing like working at the Post. Small newsroom feel, where everyone knows each other. Great access to everything and everyone. Fun place to work. Dedicated co-workers.Great benefits.

Cons

New management is somewhat out of touch in terms of newsroom morale. Pay is pretty bad if you are on young and/or not a star reporter.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for the review and feedback especially around new management. Leadership/management is something we take seriously. This year, we launched The Leadership Project, a series of ongoing development opportunities for all leaders across The Post. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to work for all and we appreciate the feedback. If you have other ways we can improve, feel free to email us: life@washpost.com.

7. 5.0

I love working for The Post

Nov 11, 2020 - Assignment Editor in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Post values collaboration, rewards hard work, is innovative and focused on growth and success throughout the organization. It's a culture mostly free of newsroom politics and full of genuinely nice & thoughtful people. I have the resources I need to create impactful journalism and feel really fortunate to work for The Post at a time when many U.S. newsrooms are suffering,

Cons

The Post is working to improve its record promoting people of color but there's room for improvement, especially in the upper ranks. The Post has improved in this area of late but should keep pressing.

1 person found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your thoughtful review about working at The Post. We are glad that you are experiencing our rewarding and innovative culture. At The Post, we continue to build initiatives focused on diversity, inclusion and equity based on demographic data and feedback like yours. If you have any other feedback or recommendations, please email us at life@washpost.com

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great first step

Sep 27, 2021 - Copy Aide in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

This has been my first job out of college. I appreciate the attentive management and the opportunities to grow and learn.

Cons

Diversity in the newsroom and pay isn't really a living wage for the entry level positions - but this is all standard practice.

9. 5.0
    Former Intern

Best newsroom internship in the country — seriously

Aug 30, 2017 - Intern in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hands-on experience with fantastic editors, keyed into the inner workings of the newsroom and informed of story processes, ability to pitch and report own content

Cons

Only 10 weeks, unfortunately. BUT some interns have the opportunity to be extended!

The Washington Post Team

We're so glad you enjoyed the internship experience. We work hard to make the internship meaningful for everyone and we have a lot of fun in the process. Maybe one day we'll see you back at The Washington Post!

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Mediocre for the most part

Sep 29, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Subscriptions org has wonderful leadership, particularly the director and QA lead. What you ship will be seen by millions of readers, and technical ownership is strongly encouraged. You will own a substantial part of the site and be responsible & accountable for all work related to that domain.

Cons

Compensation is mediocre, we're understaffed and unable to attract and retain talent. No equity, bonuses, or annual increases. Diversity & inclusion initiatives were shallow and insincere. Newsroom/product management set priorities and tech investment is not one of them. Most projects have more to do with internal politics than shipping a great reader experience. We have a lot of boring projects like migrating an app from Angular to React, splitting repositories, migrating AWS infrastructure from one account to another, etc. On-call for most teams, especially backend, can be a terrible experience with a lot of fires to put out.

5 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 Reviews

Popular Careers with The Washington Post Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at The Washington Post? Share Your Experiences

The Washington Post Careers

Cover image for The Washington Post

Headquartered in the heart of Washington, DC, The Washington Post’s award-winning Newsroom has a global presence. With reporters...More

• WaPoEngineering
  • Client Solutions
  • Marketing

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

2 days ago

Culture
Columnist Theresa Vargas’s first job at The Washington Post was as a crime reporter in Prince William County. She was drawn to the chance to tell stories about a county that was undergoing significant changes and work for a publication that values local and national news. On her best days as a columnist, she gets to witness people coming together to help someone they’ve never met because of something she has written. Theresa has seen people donate money, open their homes and write letters to officials to make life easier for someone else. She also shares deeply personal parts of her own life in her columns – whether it’s about growing up as a Mexican American on the southside of San Antonio or raising two young boys after experiencing pregnancy loss. Those pieces are never easy to put out in the world, but what makes them worth it is hearing from people who say they can relate or now feel less alone.
Shared image

9 days ago

Culture
“I have been in the Digital Media space for a while now and working for such an institution such as The Washington Post is a huge privilege. It is at the forefront of journalism as well as technological innovation in the media space, which makes it such an interesting place to work for,” says Arc XP Lead Technical Account Manager Jakob Pranter. Working with European partners of Arc XP, The Post’s digital experience platform, he’s responsible for their success on the platform and supports them through the entire lifecycle of the partnership. His job powers many sites throughout Europe, reaching millions! And he gets to work on a team that’s open and helpful. #washpostlife
Shared image

The Washington Post Photos

+ Add Photo
The Washington Post photo of: Eugene Meyer principles for sound journalism
The Washington Post photo of: Inspiring quotes from current and past leaders adorn the walls of the D.C. office.
The Washington Post photo of: Hanging out on the rooftop.
The Washington Post photo of: Ned the Newshound
The Washington Post photo of: 2017 DC Office
The Washington Post photo of: 2017 DC Office
The Washington Post photo of: Historic press plates are scattered throughout the D.C. office.

Expert Career Advice