KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

The Washington Post Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Aug 20, 2021

Found 17 of over 535 reviews

4.3
The Washington Post CEO and Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Washington Post and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee

My experience before the .com moved downtown with the paper was great, full of opportunities.

Apr 14, 2012 -  in Arlington, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best part of working for the Post was at wpni before it folded with the paper. WPNI was a great place to work and offered a lot of opportunities. At WPNI you felt like you made a difference and had a say.

Cons

The biggest con working at the post was upper management. The communications and leadership was extremely poor. Once Don Graham stepped down things have seemed to go down hill.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for the review and feedback. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to work for all. Thanks for your feedback about management. This year, we started The Leadership Project, a series of ongoing development opportunities for all leaders across The Post. We’d love to hear more specifics about your feedback. Feel free to e-mail us: life@washpost.com. Thank you for allowing The Washington Post to be part of your career journey!

2. 1.0
    Current Employee

Thinking of working at The Washington Post in advertising?

Feb 21, 2010 - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Large company. Competitive base salary, decent benefits. Office location in the middle of NW DC. Instant name recognition with the local area and nationwide.

Cons

No one makes any money outside of their base salary, outrageous quotas, unrealistic activity metrics, upper management oblivious to competitions prices and puts no money into new products or improvements. No prospecting allowed (yes, even for a sales position) instead you are provided a list of existing clients that you are to treat as prospects. Upper management lacks any kind of actually selling experience but relies on an outside sales trainer that has no idea of what the actual conditions are for the account managers. In turn, wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars on training with no return on investment.

9 people found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. We have a commitment toward growth and making The Washington Post a great place to work for all. We’d love to hear more specifics if you are finding these issues still today. Feel free to e-mail us: life@washpost.com. Thank you!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

GREAT CARING COMPANY!

Nov 17, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very caring and understanding during these times during the pandemic. Promotes a healthy work and life balance. Upper management is always will to offer training and help to become successful in your position

Cons

Pay and benefits could be better!

The Washington Post Team

These are indeed unprecedented times especially as we continue to work from home since March. A team meets daily to make sure we're supporting the team during the pandemic. We're glad you see and feel that. Thanks for being part of The Washington Post team!

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not for PoC or Women

Apr 3, 2019 - Developer in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Looks good on your resume

Cons

This place has an issue retaining people of color and women that they acknowledge but don’t do anything about. Specifically in engineering the senior management and C Suite have created an environment where if you vocalize issues with process (there are tons) you are outcast and pushed out of the company. It is very much an old boys club and unless you’re a white man there is no chance of you rising to any management or upper management position. Of all the teams there, there are maybe 3 good teams with good managers. The rest have terrible managers, there’s no sense of community, leadership or mentorship. There’s no good system to move teams because your ability to move teams is based on your managers review, and if your manager is not good then your chances of going to an internal team are low. This also limits your chance for the very frugal annual raise as well. HR doesn’t properly handle these situations, they have aided in managing out of several PoC and women employees. Since management opportunities only exist for a select few there is a very competitive toxic work environment. Don’t reccomend for anyone jr - mid level. I think this place is only barely doable if you’re super senior and can handle the terrible work environment and have the know how to untangle the mess that is the majority of the code bases. The only culture here is “if you’re silent about your pain they will kill you and say you enjoyed it”.

12 people found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

Thanks for sharing your experience working at The Washington Post. We take feedback seriously as we work toward being a great place to work for all. We need people from all backgrounds to join The Washington Post to innovate media and technology. We will look into your feedback and would appreciate any additional information you can provide. Feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Workplace That Generally Values Employees

Aug 20, 2021 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people make this place, such a talented + thoughtful group of people to work with. Great opportunities to advance your career if you want it.

Cons

Diversity in upper management/C-Suite and practicing what we preach is an issue with the company. It appears they are working on it, but some actions fell pretty short (e.g. acknowledging Juneteenth as a holiday in 2020 when it was convenient, but failing to uphold this the following year was very disappointing). The pay also falls below competitive rates for engineering teams.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great starting off point, not the best for advancement.

Feb 26, 2011 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The namesake carries significant weight. Great DC location. Also a great resume builder. Utilize operating database systems that are transferrable.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for advancement. Lack of communication with upper management. Not really into mentoring subordinates, or grooming for higher positions.

The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We've passed on your feedback to our team. If you have anything else to add, feel free to email us: life@washpost.com. Feedback is how we grow into being a great place to work for all employees. Thanks for choosing to be part of The Washington Post team!

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

The Washington Post is a vibrant organization open to change.

Feb 23, 2014 - Assignment Editor in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Senior management is open to new ideas and willing to allow employees to experiment and try new ideas. The prestige and history of the Post is hard to replace.

Cons

I wish there was more diversity in upper management and those identified as 'star' reporters, but the organization is aware of those issues and is attempting to address is.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We love hearing about our employees’ positive experiences. We've passed on your feedback to our team. Thank you for choosing to be part of The Washington Post team!

8. 2.0

its all in the name

Jul 1, 2010 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pride about being at The Post. Decent work life balance.

Cons

No growth opportunities. Upper management has no involvement with employees. No rewards or job satisfaction

2 people found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for your review and feedback. Sorry your experience with management was poor. We take this very seriously. This year, we launched The Leadership Project, a series of ongoing development opportunities for all leaders across The Post, to further develop strong leadership/management across the company. If you have more specifics to add, feel free to e-mail us: life@washpost.com. Thank you for allowing The Washington Post to be part of your career journey!

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

My Experience at WaPo

Sep 29, 2020 - Yield Manager in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Coworkers, Communication, and Work/Life Balance

Cons

Upward Growth, Diversity in Upper Management

The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We’re glad to hear that you’ve had a positive experience overall. We would, however, like to understand your feedback concerning upward growth and diversity in upper management. While we have been working diligently to expand our diversity initiatives, we realize there is still more work to do. If you feel comfortable, we would like to get more of your thoughts on how we can improve in these areas. Feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com.

10. 1.0

Don't trust upper management

Aug 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The regular employees are usually a good bunch, creative and fun to be around

Cons

Upper management is seriously only out for themselves. Do not trust anyone, especially Employee Relations. If they offer you a retention bonus, RUN.

5 people found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

We are so sorry you had a negative experience at The Post. We really do take this seriously and would love to hear more so we can be a better place to work for all. Email us at life@washpost.com. Thanks for letting us know and we appreciate all you did at The Post while you were here!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews

Popular Careers with The Washington Post Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at The Washington Post? Share Your Experiences

The Washington Post Careers

Cover image for The Washington Post

Headquartered in the heart of Washington, DC, The Washington Post’s award-winning Newsroom has a global presence. With reporters...More

• WaPoEngineering
  • Client Solutions
  • Marketing

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

0 days ago

Culture
Columnist Theresa Vargas’s first job at The Washington Post was as a crime reporter in Prince William County. She was drawn to the chance to tell stories about a county that was undergoing significant changes and work for a publication that values local and national news. On her best days as a columnist, she gets to witness people coming together to help someone they’ve never met because of something she has written. Theresa has seen people donate money, open their homes and write letters to officials to make life easier for someone else. She also shares deeply personal parts of her own life in her columns – whether it’s about growing up as a Mexican American on the southside of San Antonio or raising two young boys after experiencing pregnancy loss. Those pieces are never easy to put out in the world, but what makes them worth it is hearing from people who say they can relate or now feel less alone.
Shared image

7 days ago

Culture
“I have been in the Digital Media space for a while now and working for such an institution such as The Washington Post is a huge privilege. It is at the forefront of journalism as well as technological innovation in the media space, which makes it such an interesting place to work for,” says Arc XP Lead Technical Account Manager Jakob Pranter. Working with European partners of Arc XP, The Post’s digital experience platform, he’s responsible for their success on the platform and supports them through the entire lifecycle of the partnership. His job powers many sites throughout Europe, reaching millions! And he gets to work on a team that’s open and helpful. #washpostlife
Shared image

The Washington Post Photos

+ Add Photo
The Washington Post photo of: Eugene Meyer principles for sound journalism
The Washington Post photo of: Inspiring quotes from current and past leaders adorn the walls of the D.C. office.
The Washington Post photo of: Hanging out on the rooftop.
The Washington Post photo of: Ned the Newshound
The Washington Post photo of: 2017 DC Office
The Washington Post photo of: 2017 DC Office
The Washington Post photo of: Historic press plates are scattered throughout the D.C. office.

Expert Career Advice