KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The Washington Post

Engaged Employer

The Washington Post

Add a Review

The Washington Post Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 18, 2020

Found 33 of over 458 reviews

4.4
The Washington Post CEO and Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Pros
  • "Work-life-balance is extremely good(in 29 reviews)

• "The Post is one of the world's best organizations to do impactful journalism(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Newsroom diversity still an issue(in 18 reviews)

• "Diversity is still an issue in the newsroom, as well as in upper management(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Washington Post and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, meaningful work, zero egos.

Dec 18, 2020 - Senior Product Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The work culture is great. Everyone I've worked with from engineering to the newsroom is very collaborative. Zero egos. - Leadership is hands-on. They care about you and the work that you do. Senior management will know you by name. - They promote internally. A lot of companies get talent from outside but WaPo has a culture of cultivating talent from the inside first before looking elsewhere. - Work is extremely meaningful. Everyone shares in the goal of the pursuit of truth and that democracy dies in darkness. - Work-life-balance is extremely good!

Cons

- Compensation package is below average if you work in technology. You get no guaranteed annual bonus or stock options. Management is actively working on this and hopefully, we get to parity with other companies. - Turnover is high on the engineering side as a result - great talent are being poached by tech companies. - 401k package is below average but the WaPo does match - HMO is limited to those based in DC, MD and VA. If you work out of state, prepare to get on a high deductible plan. - Annual increases are merit-based and it is unclear how you are able to get it. (You and your team might score high in your performance review but someone with a lower score could get the increase.)

4 people found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. It’s great to see that you experience a collaborative work culture, hands-on leadership and growth at The Post. With compensation, we aim to pay our employees fairly and equitably. If you are concerned with your pay, please reach out to hr@washpost.com and we’ll set up a review for you with our compensation team. Thanks for being part of The Washington Post team and please always feel free to give us feedback on here or by emailing life@washpost.com.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, fulfilling work.

Sep 24, 2020 - Product Designer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are the best part of the job. The Post excels at hiring smart, thoughtful people who actually care about the work they do. - The work is fulfilling. It feels like you're actually making a difference. - I have felt very valued and taken care of during the transition to remote work during coronavirus. - Healthy work/life balance. I've never felt pressured to work evenings or weekends. - The atmosphere and culture in the office is great!

Cons

- The Post has been around for a long time, and there is still a lot of old-school thinking in the newsroom. That often leads to tension with the engineering team, especially when it comes to approaching strategy for digital products. - Baseline compensation is fair but not overly generous. - Health benefits, retirement benefits, and all other perks are lacking. Even when it comes to things like budgets for occasional team outings or Christmas parties, it feels like the Post is below average.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and thoughtful review. We’re glad to hear about your positive experience with the culture, the difference-making work you do and the WFH pandemic transition. We appreciate your candid feedback regarding increasing budget for the smaller items, benefits and driving more innovative thinking. We want to hear more! Feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, grow your design career and make a global impact

Sep 23, 2020 - Senior Product Designer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing and talented design team, you can learn from the best - Supportive teammates and design management - Opportunities for advancement within the company, budget for continued training - Fast-paced, innovation forward company - Small design team offers every member an opportunity to create a large impact

Cons

- Very fast paced, chaotic at times - Can be a high stress environment - Work-life balance can be a challenge, especially around big news events - Each team has its own culture- which sometimes leads to office politics/turf wars - Newsroom led company, legacy brand can challenge innovation at times - Healthcare benefits are not great

1 person found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful review of working at The Post. We’re glad it’s been an overall positive experience. Thanks for your insights on workplace stress, work/life balance around big news events, legacy/innovation struggle and benefits. We take these concerns seriously and if you have any other details/ideas on how we can improve, feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great work/life balance and interesting work

May 19, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture has changed a lot in the last year or two on the site side as a software engineer. I am speaking for the site engineering article team specifically with this review. Work/life balance is amazing, there is a great sense of taking ownership, leadership gives us breathing room to make meaningful technical decisions, and the work is very interesting. I haven't had a job this low-stress and interesting in awhile.

Cons

I can't think of any.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate it when our employees take the time to leave us feedback. We are so glad to hear that you feel empowered to make the decisions necessary to keep your work moving forward!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A great place to learn and grow

Sep 23, 2020 - Brand Strategy Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

A fast-paced, innovative environment at a centuries-old media company with an unparalleled legacy. The company is diversifying its revenue streams (advertising, subscriptions, advertising and publishing software) as it carves out a unique niche as a modern media powerhouse. A culture that's a true meritocracy of ideas where solutions can come from anywhere and people can explore interests across teams as they develop their careers. Fantastic work-life balance including top-notch parental leave.

Cons

Poor health insurance coverage options and costs compared to competitors.

The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad you enjoy the fast-paced, innovative culture of The Washington Post. Ideas really do come from all parts of the company. Changing our parental leave policy to 20 weeks of paid leave for all parents was a big deal. We're glad you can take advantage of that. Thanks for the feedback about health insurance coverage. We're always looking for ways to support our employees. We'll pass the feedback onto the team!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great work-life balance at a mission-oriented organization

Sep 25, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- work with smart, friendly people across multiple disciplines - great work-life balance - ability to innovate and experiment constantly within your project scope - management is amenable to new ideas and thinking - work on the business side goes directly to support important work in journalism

Cons

- company priorities are not widely distilled across the organization so expect some level of iterative chaos - not a place for clear, linear career progression and promotion - there are elements of legacy corporate mindset lurking across the org - slow (perhaps deliberate) decision making at the top

The Washington Post Team

We're glad to hear that your role is made great by coworkers, ownership of ideas/projects and the mission-driven nature of The Post. We’d like to hear more about your thoughts on company priorities, career progression, corporate mindset and slow decision making. If you would be willing, feel free to confidentially email us more details to life@washpost.com.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A unique career opportunity

Sep 25, 2020 - Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Constant learning and growth opportunities so things stay interesting - Fantastic teammates - Great work/life balance and flexibility in scheduling - Really supportive manager

Cons

- Open floor plan, can be loud and difficult to find quiet workspaces - Occasional difficulties in navigating change with teammates who have been at the Post for a long time - Healthcare options are a little expensive

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. While we are glad to hear you enjoy the culture and work/life balance, we appreciate your honest feedback. Knowing your concerns about floor plan, occasional difficulties navigating change with teammates and healthcare options will help us create an even better environment at The Post. If you’d be inclined, please feel free to give us some advice on how we can improve by emailing us at life@washpost.com.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The Post is a great place to work

Sep 24, 2020 - Senior Scrum Master in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Washington Post has been a great place to work and have been really supportive of trying to ideas for teams. During the Covid pandemic they have been really supportive of work life balance as well

Cons

No cons yet, would like to make sure management continues to support their teams

The Washington Post Team

Especially during trying times like these in the pandemic, we want to make sure The Post is a supportive environment. We equip leaders with the tools to create that environment where all can thrive. We're glad you experience that. Thanks for being part of The Washington Post team!

9. 5.0

One of a Kind

Sep 23, 2020 - Product Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hands down one of the best places I have worked. Work life balance, respect for different working styles, a collaborative yet kind workforce, humble, hardworking, and honest colleagues.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind yet. Which is surprising for a media company.

The Washington Post Team

"Hands down one of the best places I have worked." That is what we want to hear as we strive to be a great place to work for all. Life/work balance is important and we're glad you have that at The Washington Post.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Love working at The Post

Sep 24, 2020 - Senior Product Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging, meaningful work. Strong on staff diversity. Management encourages bold proposals and is willing to take risks. Decisions are based on data, not politics. Great work/life balance. Generous parental leave.

Cons

Average amount of paid leave (except for parental leave, which is amazing).

The Washington Post Team

The Washington Post's work is meaningful, centered around a strong mission to protect the freedom of the press. Thank you for being part of that mission. Thanks for your feedback about paid holidays and vacation. We'll pass along the feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 Reviews