Cover image for The Washington Post

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

The Washington Post Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 15, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 549 of over 549 reviews
4.3
93% Recommend to a Friend
The Washington Post CEO and Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
91% Approve of CEO

Found 31 of over 549 reviews

4.3
The Washington Post CEO and Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Washington Post and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company, great direction, wonderful people

Nov 15, 2021 - Senior Product Designer in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

There's a solid leadership team that allow a lot of autonomy among employees. I love working on the product I'm part of (Arc XP) and there are so many smart employees I learn from every day. Trust and flexibility especially around work life balance.

Cons

It is a pretty structured company from an organization standard. There can be moments where speed just isn't there in delivering value to customers.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, meaningful work, zero egos.

Dec 18, 2020 - Senior Product Designer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The work culture is great. Everyone I've worked with from engineering to the newsroom is very collaborative. Zero egos. - Leadership is hands-on. They care about you and the work that you do. Senior management will know you by name. - They promote internally. A lot of companies get talent from outside but WaPo has a culture of cultivating talent from the inside first before looking elsewhere. - Work is extremely meaningful. Everyone shares in the goal of the pursuit of truth and that democracy dies in darkness. - Work-life-balance is extremely good!

Cons

- Compensation package is below average if you work in technology. You get no guaranteed annual bonus or stock options. Management is actively working on this and hopefully, we get to parity with other companies. - Turnover is high on the engineering side as a result - great talent are being poached by tech companies. - 401k package is below average but the WaPo does match - HMO is limited to those based in DC, MD and VA. If you work out of state, prepare to get on a high deductible plan. - Annual increases are merit-based and it is unclear how you are able to get it. (You and your team might score high in your performance review but someone with a lower score could get the increase.)

5 people found this review helpful

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. It’s great to see that you experience a collaborative work culture, hands-on leadership and growth at The Post. With compensation, we aim to pay our employees fairly and equitably. If you are concerned with your pay, please reach out to hr@washpost.com and we’ll set up a review for you with our compensation team. Thanks for being part of The Washington Post team and please always feel free to give us feedback on here or by emailing life@washpost.com.

3. Join the The Washington Post team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0

Great Experience… so far

Sep 11, 2021 - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great and helpful teammates. Good system architecture. Good work life balance most of the time. Decent pay. Good development tools.

Cons

No fulltime WFH once pandemic is over. Pay could be better especially for the DC area. Java EE can sometimes be a pain to work with.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Place to Work!

Sep 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance and benefits, friendly and welcoming people, opportunities for advancement, company invests in it's employees.

Cons

None that I have encountered currently.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Such Pride Working Here!

Feb 23, 2021 - Client Services Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love working here. Throughout the pandemic the team has been consistent, communicative and has really eased our nerves. I truly am excited to work here every, single day. WORK LIFE BALANCE here is amazing.

Cons

I am a little saddened by representation at the post. We don't seem to have a gender issue, but we seem to perhaps have a race issue. There seems to be a lack of diversity in leadership positions, manager and even teammates. I am unsure how my career path will play out.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Looks good on a resume, at least

Jun 25, 2021 - Multiplatform Editor in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

solid salary; prestige of working there; rigor of the workload forced me to improve as a copy editor

Cons

Manager of my team was too overwhelmed to be able to provide substantive management/career coaching for direct reports. Pathways to advancement felt dependent on favoritism from the higher-ups. The schedule structure also made real work-life balance impossible for about half of the multiplatform editor team in my department, though FWIW, that may have improved since I left.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great work/life balance and interesting work

May 19, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture has changed a lot in the last year or two on the site side as a software engineer. I am speaking for the site engineering article team specifically with this review. Work/life balance is amazing, there is a great sense of taking ownership, leadership gives us breathing room to make meaningful technical decisions, and the work is very interesting. I haven't had a job this low-stress and interesting in awhile.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate it when our employees take the time to leave us feedback. We are so glad to hear that you feel empowered to make the decisions necessary to keep your work moving forward!

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, fulfilling work.

Sep 24, 2020 - Product Designer in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are the best part of the job. The Post excels at hiring smart, thoughtful people who actually care about the work they do. - The work is fulfilling. It feels like you're actually making a difference. - I have felt very valued and taken care of during the transition to remote work during coronavirus. - Healthy work/life balance. I've never felt pressured to work evenings or weekends. - The atmosphere and culture in the office is great!

Cons

- The Post has been around for a long time, and there is still a lot of old-school thinking in the newsroom. That often leads to tension with the engineering team, especially when it comes to approaching strategy for digital products. - Baseline compensation is fair but not overly generous. - Health benefits, retirement benefits, and all other perks are lacking. Even when it comes to things like budgets for occasional team outings or Christmas parties, it feels like the Post is below average.

The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and thoughtful review. We’re glad to hear about your positive experience with the culture, the difference-making work you do and the WFH pandemic transition. We appreciate your candid feedback regarding increasing budget for the smaller items, benefits and driving more innovative thinking. We want to hear more! Feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, grow your design career and make a global impact

Sep 23, 2020 - Senior Product Designer in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing and talented design team, you can learn from the best - Supportive teammates and design management - Opportunities for advancement within the company, budget for continued training - Fast-paced, innovation forward company - Small design team offers every member an opportunity to create a large impact

Cons

- Very fast paced, chaotic at times - Can be a high stress environment - Work-life balance can be a challenge, especially around big news events - Each team has its own culture- which sometimes leads to office politics/turf wars - Newsroom led company, legacy brand can challenge innovation at times - Healthcare benefits are not great

The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful review of working at The Post. We’re glad it’s been an overall positive experience. Thanks for your insights on workplace stress, work/life balance around big news events, legacy/innovation struggle and benefits. We take these concerns seriously and if you have any other details/ideas on how we can improve, feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A great place to learn and grow

Sep 23, 2020 - Brand Strategy Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

A fast-paced, innovative environment at a centuries-old media company with an unparalleled legacy. The company is diversifying its revenue streams (advertising, subscriptions, advertising and publishing software) as it carves out a unique niche as a modern media powerhouse. A culture that's a true meritocracy of ideas where solutions can come from anywhere and people can explore interests across teams as they develop their careers. Fantastic work-life balance including top-notch parental leave.

Cons

Poor health insurance coverage options and costs compared to competitors.

The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad you enjoy the fast-paced, innovative culture of The Washington Post. Ideas really do come from all parts of the company. Changing our parental leave policy to 20 weeks of paid leave for all parents was a big deal. We're glad you can take advantage of that. Thanks for the feedback about health insurance coverage. We're always looking for ways to support our employees. We'll pass the feedback onto the team!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews
</>Embed

Popular Careers with The Washington Post Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at The Washington Post? Share Your Experiences

The Washington Post Careers

Cover image for The Washington Post

Headquartered in the heart of Washington, DC, The Washington Post’s award-winning Newsroom has a global presence. With reporters...More

• WaPoEngineering
  • Client Solutions
  • Marketing

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

31 days ago

Employee Story
“Democracy dies in darkness speaks to the power of journalism to hold those in authority in check, provide a voice to the voiceless, and empower citizens to think critically and make informed decisions,” says Senior Creative Lead Jessica Misener. It’s why she was excited to join a storied news legacy when she started at The Washington Post three years ago. Working in Client Solutions, Jessica and her team produce and edit custom content that makes clients proud and feels endemic to the renowned writing and reporting of The Post. Jessica’s work directly supports journalism that changes the world. And she gets to do it with colleagues she calls “kind, incredibly bright and dedicated to working together as one dynamic team.” #washpostlife
Shared image

38 days ago

Careers
Going through the interview process to work at The Washington Post, Juan Tejada was fascinated by how dedicated the company is to their readers. Everyone, no matter the department, works to ensure reliable news reaches all parts of the world. Helping toward that goal is a dream for Juan. Working as a senior billing analyst for the Arc XP team, Juan’s team makes sure all Arc XP clients receive accurate and timely invoices for services provided to help build their own content platforms. Starting in The Post’s finance team during the pandemic, Juan continues to be inspired by his colleagues. Committed to the mission, Juan and his colleagues find new ways to innovate in their positions and progress in their careers at The Post. “We’re so lucky to live in a world where all news can be accessed with the touch of a button. I believe it’s our responsibility to make that news accessible to those who need it the most and help shed light on the darkness that’s present in the world,” says Juan reflecting on his time at The Post.

The Washington Post Photos

+ Add Photo
The Washington Post photo of: Eugene Meyer principles for sound journalism
The Washington Post photo of: Inspiring quotes from current and past leaders adorn the walls of the D.C. office.
The Washington Post photo of: Hanging out on the rooftop.
The Washington Post photo of: Ned the Newshound
The Washington Post photo of: 2017 DC Office
The Washington Post photo of: 2017 DC Office
The Washington Post photo of: Historic press plates are scattered throughout the D.C. office.

Expert Career Advice

Booz Allen Hamilton

4.0

7,918 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 549 The Washington Post reviews submitted anonymously by The Washington Post employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if The Washington Post is right for you.