The Whitaker Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bruce Whitaker

"Great Place to work!"

Pros

So many of them, the company President is awesome and a great mentor in the industry. Gives great advice and helps to hold you accountable! Training is good as well. You will be given everything you need for success up front!

Cons

Methods and business practices must come to the understanding of evolution as times change and organizations change we must change with it. Also you must be creative when your business may be at a standstill if not you will not last.

Advice to Management

Be open to all methods and continue to look at all elements that your employees face when creating new business. Other than that great job!

2. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

Pros

If you have a drive and want to work your tail off to get ahead, and have an interest in recruiting or are a skilled recruiter, this job is for you. Most likely need to be a seasoned or lightly experienced recruiter to go anywhere. Bruce, the owner and President, is a great guy and a straight shooter. The interviews were somewhat difficult, but I enjoyed the conversation. They allow you to find a niche and work both sides of the business, recruiting and business development.

Cons

-Training is extremely outdated and nearly non existent, I think the training videos were made the in the EARLY 90's. Once you watch some videos, who were made in house, they expect you to know what to do and how to recruit.
    -There are a few older and tenured staff members that are not team players. If you are new to the company or industry, be careful not to ruffle their feathers... Though there are a couple of good apples in there.
    -VERY structured work environment. Hours are 8:30-5pm (though you are expected to work late most nights to fulfill job orders and reach quota) ....
    -Collaborating and talking to team members is strongly discouraged during business hours. You are expected to pick up the phone to talk to them, even though you may be sitting right next to them
    -weekly training during lunch hour, which is great because they provide lunch. But you then have to go back to work. Making it to where you can't take a mental break of the day.

Advice to Management

More flexible work hours and work environment.

"This company is a joke"

Pros

Free lunch training every week, but you have to listen to a boring webinar. Co-workers would fall asleep. Vending machine in kitchen.

Cons

Where do I begin? The company is very lazy with training. The lunch training is a waste of time. The new-hire training consists of sitting in a room by yourself watching hours of dated DVDs on a laptop. After you're done they send you out to the wolves. They don't even give you a chance to succeed. They'll fire you the first chance they get. Office politics is another concern. If you're not your manager's best friend you're screwed.

Advice to Management

Once again. I don't know where to start.

The Whitaker Companies Response

Nov 13, 2015 – Marketing Manager

It’s unfortunate you had a negative experience. Although our training program does consist of DVDs, the information and true source recruiting methodologies compiled by our company leaders with ... More

"A second family!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Coming from outside the staffing industry, I wasn't sure what to expect….I didn't realize I would grow so much professionally and come to truly appreciate my Whitaker family as much as I do. During my 5 + years here at Whitaker I've grown into different roles, taken on multiple responsibilities and continue to be challenged every day with new “hats”. As a mother, I am thankful for the flexibility provided so that I can maintain my own work-life balance.

“Soft” benefits are everywhere! Employee recognition program for individual milestones includes anything from a business card holder and Visa gift cards to flight vouchers and vacations! We have sales contests, annual company trip, quarterly awards for sales producers and administrative staff, weekly team training lunches, company-paid professional development, and a social committee to plan company functions.

Our employees come from a variety of backgrounds, making for a unique blend of experience and knowledge offered through our management team, which by the way is majority female.

There’s a reason why Whitaker has earned workplace awards from the Houston Business Journal and the Houston Chronicle.

Cons

Company was founded on true direct-source techniques, so if you’re looking to make a quick fill and not put in the work to establish long-term relationships with clients and candidates then this is not for you. It’s all about building trust and rapport with your contacts and becoming a staffing partner. Management has worked very hard over 30 + years to build a strong reputation of direct-sourcing passive candidates, true recruiting at its finest!

Advice to Management

Thank you for being transparent! The open communication and ongoing review process allows ALL employees to overcome hurdles and achieve success within their own position.

"GREAT COMPANY!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

Pros

Whitaker is a great company to work for. If you are dedicated and put in the time you will absolutely love it here. The money is great as the commission structure is one of the highest and most lucrative in the industry. It is a situation where if you work hard you WILL by paid VERY well.

Cons

Not to much to speak of.....There is quite a bit of turnover in the industry as a whole. (90% of the individuals who get into the industry are out within 18 months). That being said the dedicated people stay here for a long time and are VERY VERY successful. If you are someone who punches the clock, unless you are a freak of nature, I do not see you here or in the industry for longer than 6 Months.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This is a great company to work for. Continue the openness to new ideas and forward looking ways to conduct business.

"It's not just a job, it's a home"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter

Pros

I came to Whitaker with almost 10 years of recruiting experience and as a proven producer, I probably could have gotten a job recruiting anywhere. But for a host of reasons, I chose to come to Whitaker, and now 26 years later (!!) I'm still glad I did. Whitaker has become "home" to me in many ways. The owner of our company has proven time and again that he cares about the people who work for him 24/7 and not just from 8-5. He believes in bottom up management - that his job is to find ways to support the producers who work for him and enable them to become successful. There is no "glass ceiling" here. People are allowed to advance based strictly on merit and contribution to the company. Everyone is encouraged to pursue industry training opportunities and attend industry conferences. And ongoing training and continuous "sharpening the saw" is a cornerstone of the company's core values.

Having worked for Whitaker for 12 years as a single mom, I fully appreciated the consideration and flexibility given to me through the years allowing me to juggle being both employee/recruiter and mom. And of course the outstanding benefit program has been an important part of my compensation package.

In an industry that is rife with turnover and where successful recruiters leave big companies to go out on their own, it's extremely unusual to find as many tenured recruiters as you see at Whitaker. In fact I've been asked many times why I never went out on my own. Perhaps the simplest answer is that it's because I couldn't ask to have anything more than what I have now, and I don't have to deal with any of the headaches!

Cons

Whitaker does not have a huge corporate parent company so if you aspire to no longer "work a desk", Whitaker is not the place. Everyone on the management team at Whitaker (other than the President) is a "working manager" and is integrally involved in the placement process on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Don't fix what ain't broke! Continue to have an open door and and open heart.

"Whitaker, a real Place to call home"

Current Employee - IT Staffing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Staffing Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

First thing the culture is great, people generally have a positive attitude and work hard. Lots of incentives and a great CEO. You feel apart of the team when you walk in the doors.

Cons

One word......TRAFFIC but is all worth it when you come to work. The nature of the job may be a little overwhelming but that's something they let you know up front. Highly competitive market if you are timid you won't make it.

"STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY - WON'T BE AROUND FOR MUCH LONGER"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at The Whitaker Companies full-time

Pros

Recruiters can get away with being unethical and the sales floor has no rules. So if you are into that, there is a pro.

Cons

Management lies to employees. Sales floor is unethically ran and rules mean nothing. Senior recruiters get away with anything and are never held accountable. Management positions are given to people without experience or skills to be in management. Owner is 70 and forgets everything, can't remember conversations from morning to afternoon. Company sold a piece in 2013 and is now going broke. I cannot make placements due to Whitaker's name in the industry. Outdated recruiting practices. Administrative lay-offs and people quitting because the company has no money. Owner lies to employees about the financial situation of the company. The open door policy is a joke and preference is given to men over women. I am surprised they haven't had a sexual discrimination lawsuit. Exec is unqualified, management is unqualified, it is all a mess. Due to finance issues company may not be around for another 6 months (my opinion). DO NOT WORK WITH OR FOR THIS COMPANY, DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN THE POSITION I AM IN, I am currently seeking another opportunity.

Advice to Management

Be honest to employees, stop being spiteful, admit the problems the company has and try to solve them instead of hiding them, work with employees to fix the problems on the floor instead of telling them to handle it themselves, stop giving promotions to unqualified people just because you golf with them, fire people who should be fired instead of keeping them because you want to save face.

10. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Whitaker Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, professional, and supportive atmosphere. One on one training. Great coworkers and starting pay for the industry. I know people complain about long hours, but that is a big part of the industry. You spend a lot of hours in the beginning of your career building your pipeline. There's no way around it. If you have a problem with that, recruitment probably isn't for you. I'm right out of college and I love it.

Cons

Houston traffic... but nothing really. I love it.