KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The Whitaker Companies Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2022

Found 16 of over 22 reviews

4.5
The Whitaker Companies Chairman Bruce Whitaker (no image)
Bruce Whitaker

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "And ongoing training and continuous 'sharpening the saw' is a cornerstone of the company's core values.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic Company

Jun 6, 2022 - IT Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Working with a great team -Collaborating with Senior IT Recruiter - Working with awesome professional business women -Have an open-door policy with the CEO -

Cons

- 401 K start investment after 1 year of employment

The Whitaker Companies Response

Marketing Manager

Thanks for your positive feedback and for taking the time to post this review. We agree, we are a fantastic company full of awesome professionals, and this shows through our Best Places to Work recognition over the past 4 years! Our CEO’s open-door policy is something we are very proud of as it allows each person the opportunity to have one on one time with company leadership. Yes, it does take a year to join the 401k plan but to offset the wait we have a 3-year vesting schedule on a 5% match, plus profit sharing!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

The Mercedes of Search Firms

Nov 1, 2021 - Vice President in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very team-oriented "collegial" environment. Management is very supportive and willing to invest resources in employee training and development. Very tenured team-members who are anxious to help others succeed. Industry-competitive compensation package. Work-from-home opportunity encourages autonomy.

Cons

Not a heavily structured organization. Lots of autonomy may not be suitable for people who need more structured direction.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Employment Agency

Oct 12, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Always on top of the process to update candidate with open roles and honest feedback and follow ups. Patricia Simpson and Paul Choudhuri are working tirelessly to find me a great job with a great company so fast. In less than 2 weeks after interviewing with 2 companies, I got an offer the same day with the 2nd companies.

Cons

I don't have any that I can think of

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

If you have the drive to succeed, you will get the tools you need here to make it happen!

May 20, 2020 - Director in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, work-life balance strongly encouraged. Close-knit team, excellent training, experienced team, great commission plan

Cons

It would be great to have a larger sales team focused on bringing in new clients

5. 5.0

A second family!

Apr 1, 2015 -  in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coming from outside the staffing industry, I wasn't sure what to expect….I didn't realize I would grow so much professionally and come to truly appreciate my Whitaker family as much as I do. During my 5 + years here at Whitaker I've grown into different roles, taken on multiple responsibilities and continue to be challenged every day with new “hats”. As a mother, I am thankful for the flexibility provided so that I can maintain my own work-life balance. “Soft” benefits are everywhere! Employee recognition program for individual milestones includes anything from a business card holder and Visa gift cards to flight vouchers and vacations! We have sales contests, annual company trip, quarterly awards for sales producers and administrative staff, weekly team training lunches, company-paid professional development, and a social committee to plan company functions. Our employees come from a variety of backgrounds, making for a unique blend of experience and knowledge offered through our management team, which by the way is majority female. There’s a reason why Whitaker has earned workplace awards from the Houston Business Journal and the Houston Chronicle.

Cons

Company was founded on true direct-source techniques, so if you’re looking to make a quick fill and not put in the work to establish long-term relationships with clients and candidates then this is not for you. It’s all about building trust and rapport with your contacts and becoming a staffing partner. Management has worked very hard over 30 + years to build a strong reputation of direct-sourcing passive candidates, true recruiting at its finest!

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee

Recruiter

Sep 8, 2016 - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you have a drive and want to work your tail off to get ahead, and have an interest in recruiting or are a skilled recruiter, this job is for you. Most likely need to be a seasoned or lightly experienced recruiter to go anywhere. Bruce, the owner and President, is a great guy and a straight shooter. The interviews were somewhat difficult, but I enjoyed the conversation. They allow you to find a niche and work both sides of the business, recruiting and business development.

Cons

-Training is extremely outdated and nearly non existent, I think the training videos were made the in the EARLY 90's. Once you watch some videos, who were made in house, they expect you to know what to do and how to recruit. -There are a few older and tenured staff members that are not team players. If you are new to the company or industry, be careful not to ruffle their feathers... Though there are a couple of good apples in there. -VERY structured work environment. Hours are 8:30-5pm (though you are expected to work late most nights to fulfill job orders and reach quota) .... -Collaborating and talking to team members is strongly discouraged during business hours. You are expected to pick up the phone to talk to them, even though you may be sitting right next to them -weekly training during lunch hour, which is great because they provide lunch. But you then have to go back to work. Making it to where you can't take a mental break of the day. -

The Whitaker Companies Response

Marketing Manager

Thanks for your feedback. You were right about our training program and our number one priority for 2019 is to bring that into the 21st century. About the very structured work environment and the office conditions, so sorry you were right about that too and with our new flex scheduling and work from home, we've addressed it. This is now a great place to work in every respect. P.S. It's still hard work but the financial incentives are terrific and the opportunity to spend more time with our families is fantastic.

7. 1.0

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY - WON'T BE AROUND FOR MUCH LONGER

Feb 25, 2015 - Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

Recruiters can get away with being unethical and the sales floor has no rules. So if you are into that, there is a pro.

Cons

Management lies to employees. Sales floor is unethically ran and rules mean nothing. Senior recruiters get away with anything and are never held accountable. Management positions are given to people without experience or skills to be in management. Owner is 70 and forgets everything, can't remember conversations from morning to afternoon. Company sold a piece in 2013 and is now going broke. I cannot make placements due to Whitaker's name in the industry. Outdated recruiting practices. Administrative lay-offs and people quitting because the company has no money. Owner lies to employees about the financial situation of the company. The open door policy is a joke and preference is given to men over women. I am surprised they haven't had a sexual discrimination lawsuit. Exec is unqualified, management is unqualified, it is all a mess. Due to finance issues company may not be around for another 6 months (my opinion). DO NOT WORK WITH OR FOR THIS COMPANY, DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN THE POSITION I AM IN, I am currently seeking another opportunity.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

GREAT COMPANY!!!!!!

Mar 31, 2015 - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Whitaker is a great company to work for. If you are dedicated and put in the time you will absolutely love it here. The money is great as the commission structure is one of the highest and most lucrative in the industry. It is a situation where if you work hard you WILL by paid VERY well.

Cons

Not to much to speak of.....There is quite a bit of turnover in the industry as a whole. (90% of the individuals who get into the industry are out within 18 months). That being said the dedicated people stay here for a long time and are VERY VERY successful. If you are someone who punches the clock, unless you are a freak of nature, I do not see you here or in the industry for longer than 6 Months.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

It's not just a job, it's a home

Mar 18, 2015 - Senior Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

I came to Whitaker with almost 10 years of recruiting experience and as a proven producer, I probably could have gotten a job recruiting anywhere. But for a host of reasons, I chose to come to Whitaker, and now 26 years later (!!) I'm still glad I did. Whitaker has become "home" to me in many ways. The owner of our company has proven time and again that he cares about the people who work for him 24/7 and not just from 8-5. He believes in bottom up management - that his job is to find ways to support the producers who work for him and enable them to become successful. There is no "glass ceiling" here. People are allowed to advance based strictly on merit and contribution to the company. Everyone is encouraged to pursue industry training opportunities and attend industry conferences. And ongoing training and continuous "sharpening the saw" is a cornerstone of the company's core values. Having worked for Whitaker for 12 years as a single mom, I fully appreciated the consideration and flexibility given to me through the years allowing me to juggle being both employee/recruiter and mom. And of course the outstanding benefit program has been an important part of my compensation package. In an industry that is rife with turnover and where successful recruiters leave big companies to go out on their own, it's extremely unusual to find as many tenured recruiters as you see at Whitaker. In fact I've been asked many times why I never went out on my own. Perhaps the simplest answer is that it's because I couldn't ask to have anything more than what I have now, and I don't have to deal with any of the headaches!

Cons

Whitaker does not have a huge corporate parent company so if you aspire to no longer "work a desk", Whitaker is not the place. Everyone on the management team at Whitaker (other than the President) is a "working manager" and is integrally involved in the placement process on a daily basis.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Whitaker, a real Place to call home

Feb 28, 2015 - IT Staffing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

First thing the culture is great, people generally have a positive attitude and work hard. Lots of incentives and a great CEO. You feel apart of the team when you walk in the doors.

Cons

One word......TRAFFIC but is all worth it when you come to work. The nature of the job may be a little overwhelming but that's something they let you know up front. Highly competitive market if you are timid you won't make it.

3 people found this review helpful