The White Company Sales Advisor Reviews | Glassdoor

The White Company Sales Advisor Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2019

Found 12 reviews

3.3
The White Company CEO Mary Homer  (no image)
Mary Homer
  1. "TERRIBLE"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at The White Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

coworkers are great people to work with

Cons

Management sucks and doesn't know how to run a store. Store is very boring and slow traffic

Advice to Management

DO BETTER

The White Company2018-07-20
  2. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at The White Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff discount, calm environment, good products

Cons

Bad management, no career opportunities

The White Company2019-06-13
  3. "Not What I Expected"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Advisor in Birmingham, England

I worked at The White Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

The brand itself is of very high standard and quality and the company seems to encourage career progression which is good. My manager was friendly.

Cons

As a Christmas part-time temp, I felt a little taken advantage of, they did not pay attention to the hours I would like, often given the same end of day shifts and more hours than I was contracted for, without even asking if I wanted overtime and when. I know someone else who quit around the same time as me for this reason as it makes it difficult to juggle university work with working.

Advice to Management

Instead of pre-planned rotas maybe ask part-time staff what they can work/would they like any overtime. Set contracted days would be nice too.

The White Company2019-03-21
  4. "Overall good"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at The White Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxing and lovely environment. Relatively easy job Great staff and good pay per hour.

Cons

Give your a lot of hours over your contract so be aware!

Advice to Management

Give out accurate contracts

The White Company2019-03-05
  5. "Good weekend job"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at The White Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discount. Nice people. Generally nice customers

Cons

Can be stressful during sale period Too much emphasis on Feefo

The White Company2018-12-18

"I'd rate it 0"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at The White Company part-time

Pros

Generous staff discount Great staff support and ethos from everyone accept management

Cons

I have never worked in such a negative environment. A place where all staff dread their days in work. A place where staff continue to walk out and rather be unemployed. I have watched staff be bullied for their appearances, being forced to apply more makeup, had nasty comments about their clothing, comments to staff about their smell and also their class. On top of all this, I have never worked in an environment... where there is so much bullying and gossiping about personal and private issues, amongst the "higher" members of staff about the staff members that actually pull their fingers out and work. The store is a place where customers are judged immediately upon entrance to the store by management on what they wear, what designer brands they have on, their ethnicity and from this are labelled as they “don’t belong in here” and staff are told to follow then around like prey. This is NOT a store that welcomes all, it is very prejudicial environment. You are continuously monitored by management via CCTV and ridiculed for things we did not do sufficiently or to the managers taste, frequently making it his mission to give staff recorded conversations for the most trivial of things, but you are never praised for the good. Forced to come in on days off and work overtime sometimes never being asked just having the rota changed and expected to be able to do it regardless of plans and already having worked over contracted hours. Occasions like this are met with questions such as “what are your plans”, “are they important”, “you can re-arrange”. No matter how private or important you were still expected to disclose information on your plans or appointments and give management a sufficient enough reason not to work, a lot of the time these reasons dismissed and still made to work regardless. This was so that others could take a half day as management have no respect for a working life balance, or your life outside of its doors. Unless of course you are of supervisor or management level. Not only as a store I have had negative experiences with their Pay Team and HR Department. I have had rightfully owed wages withheld and fiddled when I left employment. Something that the manager had made known with other staff members that he was going to do. The White Company is wrong on every level from top to bottom and back to front. My advice for anyone researching this place as a possible new job. Stay unemployed.

Advice to Management

Get a new one.

The White Company2018-10-01

"Experienced bullying"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in London, England

I worked at The White Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable pay, beautiful products, friendly co workers, nice surroundings

Cons

I was really badly bullied by two managers. The managers were picking on certain staff members, presumably to force them to leave. I know many staff members at the time had complained to head office about the bullying but nothing was ever done. Store CCTV was being used by managers to monitor staff behaviour also, which made certain staff members (including myself), feel very self conscious. This job really affected... my confidence and I’m really quite angry that this behaviour was allowed to continue. One of the managers devised a daily floor plan to organise staff (for instance, you could spend one hour on the tills, followed by an hour on the fitting rooms etc). I was brought to tears on one occasion where I was made to stand on the front door greeting customers in the cold for an entire 8 hour shift. This felt like a real low blow and I’m certain they were laughing at me in their office whilst I was stood there. Appalling behaviour. Many staff members walked out as they were so fed up with being bullied - this was the aim I’m sure. When I handed my notice in, one of the managers who had bullied me for over a year asked if I wanted a store transfer (I was moving to another part of the U.K.). This seemed like a cover up plan on the manager’s behalf. Gosh I’m still shocked even to this day and I’m discussing my experience with a therapist. When certain staff members left the job, they were given gifts on their last day. I was given nothing and one of the manager’s sat in an isolated office and didn’t even bother to say goodbye.

Advice to Management

If you’re unhappy with any aspect of your staff members’ behaviour, actually do some positive work and help them to improve rather than bullying them until they break down. This behaviour is not acceptable. Ask yourself if you’d want to be treated in the same way you’re treating others. The answer is likely to be no. Direct efforts towards hiring staff you like rather than realising at a later date you don’t like... them and forcing them to leave. It’s unfair and unjust.

The White Company2018-08-01

"Sale assistant"

Sales Advisor in London, England

I worked at The White Company

Pros

Pay is mad mad mad

Cons

Employees are not always nice

Advice to Management

Try caring more

The White Company2017-05-17
  9. "Good, but not great"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at The White Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely products and always well presented, a genuine delight to work with.

Cons

Head office and management can occasionally feel a bit distant and not interested in the rest of us.

Advice to Management

The more you put into your employees the more you'll get out of them. Treat them with a bit more respect sometimes!

The White Company2016-08-15

"High standards - amazing experience!"

Sales Advisor in Oxford, England

I worked at The White Company

Pros

1) A lot of experience gained with colleagues from all different backgrounds. 2) Much knowledge gained about the shop-floor operations in retail. 3) Close contact with both floor and area managers alike - they really tried hard to remember every face in the shop. Felt very personal and caring. 4) 50% discount which was lovely when buying gifts for xmas!

Cons

1) Mainly female-dominated team, the company does not attract many male shop-floor applicants. 2) Salary increase for promotion was not substantial. Negotiations difficult. 3) Tedious progression speed.

Advice to Management

Better organisation of stock management systems and stock take evenings.

The White Company2015-05-07