The White Company "head office" Reviews | Glassdoor

The White Company Employee Reviews about "head office"

Updated Sep 10, 2019

Found 128 reviews

2.9
The White Company CEO Mary Homer  (no image)
Mary Homer
Pros
  • "Beautiful products with a very generous staff discount(in 14 reviews)

• "Good staff and good environment, lots of opportunities(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Head office received complaints from this person yet nothing was done(in 6 reviews)

• "The manager picked on specific members of staff and bullied them until they left(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "head office"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at The White Company full-time

Pros

50% discount with a limit, chance to get bonus at the end of the financial year and offer different departments from ladies daywear, nightwear to home products.

Cons

No enough training on computer systems and minimum support from area managers and head office to resolve issues.

Advice to Management

Your team is your engine to work with. Take care of it, especially those who work hard. Recognise them properly.

The White Company2019-01-07

"Experienced bullying"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in London, England

I worked at The White Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable pay, beautiful products, friendly co workers, nice surroundings

Cons

I was really badly bullied by two managers. The managers were picking on certain staff members, presumably to force them to leave. I know many staff members at the time had complained to head office about the bullying but nothing was ever done. Store CCTV was being used by managers to monitor staff behaviour also, which made certain staff members (including myself), feel very self conscious. This job really affected... my confidence and I’m really quite angry that this behaviour was allowed to continue. One of the managers devised a daily floor plan to organise staff (for instance, you could spend one hour on the tills, followed by an hour on the fitting rooms etc). I was brought to tears on one occasion where I was made to stand on the front door greeting customers in the cold for an entire 8 hour shift. This felt like a real low blow and I’m certain they were laughing at me in their office whilst I was stood there. Appalling behaviour. Many staff members walked out as they were so fed up with being bullied - this was the aim I’m sure. When I handed my notice in, one of the managers who had bullied me for over a year asked if I wanted a store transfer (I was moving to another part of the U.K.). This seemed like a cover up plan on the manager’s behalf. Gosh I’m still shocked even to this day and I’m discussing my experience with a therapist. When certain staff members left the job, they were given gifts on their last day. I was given nothing and one of the manager’s sat in an isolated office and didn’t even bother to say goodbye.

Advice to Management

If you’re unhappy with any aspect of your staff members’ behaviour, actually do some positive work and help them to improve rather than bullying them until they break down. This behaviour is not acceptable. Ask yourself if you’d want to be treated in the same way you’re treating others. The answer is likely to be no. Direct efforts towards hiring staff you like rather than realising at a later date you don’t like... them and forcing them to leave. It’s unfair and unjust.

The White Company2018-08-01

"Untrustworthy Management"

I worked at The White Company full-time

Pros

Good brand if a little pricey. Nice looking shops but this is only a facade to what goes on in head office.

Cons

Arrogant management who really know how to look after number one. If your face fits you may be ok, if not then you will experience sly, deceptive, well practiced negative management. Good luck.

Advice to Management

No advice to give. Management are what they are and the culture won't change now, supported by Chrissie Rucker who forgot how she got there in the first place.

The White Company2017-03-24

The White Company Response

March 31, 2017Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review, it is a shame that we have not been able to talk with you about your feelings before you left the business. Please do get in touch with a member of the People team at thetalentteam@thewhitecompany.com, if you would like to speak with someone internally

"Mid year review/feedback"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at The White Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at TWC for 6 months and my role is based in the Kensington High Street head office. So having been here for 6 months and mid year reviews around the corner, I thought this a good time to update on my experience so far. It has the feel of a start up with lots of amazing people all engaged in the brand and excited for the what's next ...

Cons

Needs more process in place however the Senior teams seem to be working on this....

Advice to Management

Be more visible and transparent to your teams....

The White Company2017-01-20
  5. "Good, but not great"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at The White Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely products and always well presented, a genuine delight to work with.

Cons

Head office and management can occasionally feel a bit distant and not interested in the rest of us.

Advice to Management

The more you put into your employees the more you'll get out of them. Treat them with a bit more respect sometimes!

The White Company2016-08-15

"Merchandise Admin Assistant"

I worked at The White Company full-time

Pros

Exciting moment to work in a growing and expanding company and lovely people at the Head Office in High St Kensington.

Cons

At times you feel there is not a possible way to progress in the company, payed less than average in the high street and didn't feel there was enough recognition

The White Company2016-04-12
  7. "Great team spirit, lots of fun, good development opportunities if you are prepared to work hard"

I have been working at The White Company full-time

Pros

The head office environment is open door, friendly & hard work. You need to be prepared to 'muck in' and get on with everyone. There are some hugely talented and committed members of staff - it really is a very positive environment and great to be part of such a success story. I'd say all the Directors are very down to earth and like open dialogue, rather discuss issues and agree a way forward than dwell on... problems.

Cons

The head office in Kensington is now fairly full (in terms of space) given growth in head count in recent years. I am aware this is being worked on.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on L&D opportunities, career progression and continue the strong investment in people

The White Company2015-12-29

"The role wasn't challenging but the people were."

Former Employee - Visual Specialist

I worked at The White Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

The salary was ok for retail & it was nice to be surrounded by nice products.

Cons

The customers were vile, they had a real sense of entitlement & I was once or twice referred to as 'The Dark One' I can only imagine this was because I wasn't white & not a reference to Voldemort or Darth Vader. They would demand discount off almost anything & leave the fitting rooms in a complete state. My manager was quite two faced & often said 'Oh this looks great, well done' then as soon as I left, would... re-arrange the entire shop/displays. What is the point in having a Visual Specialist when everything you work on gets changed moments after your back is turned? Also the guidelines we had to adhere to were dull, dull, dull. No real creativity, anyone could do the job as it was just a case of copying images sent from head office. The area manager had a very high opinion of himself. He'd met me numerous times & on the fourth or fifth time said 'Oh I don't believe we've met' when I approached him to say hello. Very rude. I worked in a mostly good team. Quite a few of my colleagues didn't actually need to work, they just hung around for the great discount. This showed more than ever when it came to holidays & certain team members being allowed copious holidays whilst others worked non stop.

Advice to Management

Disappointed in my former managers behaviour since I left. Very sly.

The White Company2015-12-24