The Zappos Family Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
The Zappos Family CEO Tony Hsieh
Tony Hsieh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great teammates free food and no bosses health benefits" (in 46 reviews)

• "Family environment, Great benefits, Fun place to work" (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "In addition, they like to make you believe they support a work/life balance, but the reality is, they want work/life to be all-inclusive of the them" (in 11 reviews)

• "Work environment was always positive" (in 15 reviews)

"Best company...for single people."

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

Lots of freedom to be yourself and fun! Benefits are awesome as well as schedule (sometimes).

Cons

Not really any! They might need more rules.

2. "Great benefits, but not much else"

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

Excellent medical benefits, flexible schedule (except for call center)

Cons

Major company changes and reorganizations happening at least every 6 months. Severe lack of competent leadership. They say they care about their employees, but outside of the outstanding benefits package, they really don't seem to.

"Leadership Doesn't Actually Do Anything, Rampant Favoritism, Lazy Work Ethic"

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

People are nice, good health benefits, fun parties

Cons

Tony Hsieh has checked out of Zappos years ago, and doesn't care how it affects the employees morale. The inner leadership circle is comprised of long-standing employees who don't do anything, nor do THEY care about employee morale or happiness. Execution on projects is lazy, a "cut-corners" approach, a "this should be good enough" attitude, and absolutely no desire to disrupt the retail world. No wonder there's no differentiating reason to shop at Zappos anymore.

Advice to Management

Step up, or get out of the way, before you drag the entire company down.

4. "Great benefits; maladjusted staff"

Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family (More than a year)

Pros

Some very caring people, wonderful benefits and perks

Cons

Cliquey, maladjusted people - lots of people creating work for themselves which leads to micromanagement of others. You get a vibe for some with power Zappos is their entire world. To move up you must party (drink) and attend barrage of social events. Getting better position is who you drink with, forget your skills

Advice to Management

Get on the phones. Stop micromanaging to avoid real work. Check your ego at the door.

"Used to be a great company, now incredibly mismanaged."

Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are fantastic, some of the best health insurance I'v ever had and the on-campus amenities are pretty nice. Many of the people who work there are very cool and can become friends outside of work too.

Cons

The company tried to be "self-managed" but somehow the end result is still being tightly managed while being told that you are not. While feedback used to be personalized and about the "story behind the numbers", now you're just a number on a spreadsheet.

They spend a lot of time telling you that you can progress to any department that you want, but unless you're out drinking with the right people multiple times a week, that isn't true. The culture is based almost entirely around drinking, and while they offer alternatives, you'll be left behind if you don't drink.

Overall, not at all the company that it was a few years ago.

Advice to Management

Listen to your own core values and start valuing your employees in a real way, not just giving out shirts and offering social media ops. Also, ditch the self-management and go back to what worked before.

6. "Best Company I have ever worked with."

Former Employee - Senior Operations Engineer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Engineer in Louisville, KY

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I felt important.We worked hard, played hard, and we did whatever it took to deliver a positive customer experience.

Cons

The experience of transitioning to the new management style of the new ownership.

Advice to Management

Please teach the leadership principals used at Zappos to the rest of American companies before it is to late. Take care of your employees because they take care of your customers.

7. "Leadership is exasperating at times, but the people are friendly and the compensation/benefits are better than average."

Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve met some of my best friends while employed here for 10 years. There are some amazingly talented, genuine people that work here. Other pros: Casual, laid back atmosphere, flexible work schedule, good work/life balance, free/subsidized food, average pay, and decent benefits.

Cons

Leadership is all over the place. The company is split with some practicing Holacracy, other departments totally ignoring it, or others leading with some skewed version of it. Not the most terrible thing, but it makes collaboration with more than one team challenging. Change is an understatement - the changes are not a bad thing, however communication about any changes are horrible! Most changes still flow from the top down. Employees are treated unequally - favoritism is rampant.

Advice to Management

It’s not your way or the highway! Stop getting in the way and let the talented shine. Be fair and supportive to allow all your people to demonstrate they are capable. And if they are not, everyone should be given the equal opportunity, time, and fair compensation to find another position within the company before being terminated. And, discriminatory jokes are not funny, period.

"This place changed."

Former Employee - CLT in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - CLT in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AMAZING benefits. They give you alcohol to hush you up too. The company throws a few parties a year for employees which are fun. You can bring your dog to work after they meet some basic qualifications.

The attendance policy is a give or take. For the most part you're allowed to miss a few days without reprocussion. It's usually set up on some sort of a point policy. Example: You're given 70 points, you miss one day, that's a 10 point deduction. It's usually a 6 month turn around to earn those points back. If you hit 0 points, you're terminated. This sounds rough, but it's one of the fairest policies I've ever worked with.

If you're young, single and don't have a family, this place is great for you.

Cons

Extremely poor communication...like, the government has better communication than this place, micromanaged, stressful, upper management shows favoritism.

Owned by Amazon and it's really starting to show in day-to-day policies.

If you get hired in CLT, you'll likely always be in CLT. It's incredibly uncommon to actually switch departments. CLT is extremely micromanaged and stressful. They call it self management but it's really just like every other job out there. You have metrics to meet, you miss them, you're fired. The self-management part of it is how quickly you want to lose your job.

If you want to stay here, drink the kool-aid.

Policies change nearly every other month and shift bids are usually a huge cluster.

Company has offshore teams that are still "part of the Zappos family" so there's always a chance your job will be moved offshore but it won't be called outsourcing.

Advice to Management

One on one coaching is great, but physical, signed copies of performance plans would be ideal to alleviate confusion. Having a coach say, "You're doing great! You've made so much improvement! Let's keep working on this," does not constitute a performance plan. Coaches need to be painfully blunt when they're guiding an employee. If an employee needs improvement, they need to know exactly where the improvement is needed and they need to know the severity of the meeting they're in. Please afford future CLT members the clarity that I was denied because my coach was too scared to tell me I was being put on a performance plan. You can imagine how blindsided I, and nearly my entire team felt to find out we were all on some form of performance plan a month after it was issued.

Rotate coaching positions more as the many of the same people who were lead links when I was hired 4 years ago are still coaches today. It becomes stale and feels like favoritism to regular phone workers.

Communicate with teams openly and actually accept feedback from those teams. The SCS circle does not easily facilitate this and in the last year of my employment I felt more disconnected from the job than I'd ever felt because of the lack of meetings I was permitted to go to.

A lot of people are scared to give you an honest answer because a lot of people don't believe that anonymous surveys are genuinely anonymous. People are scared that they're expendable and all of the offshore hiring solidifies that feeling.

9. ","

Pros

A huge pro is the culture

Cons

A huge con is the speed of change and it’s management.

Advice to Management

"Don't believe the hype."

Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The dress code is very lax. You can be artistic and weird and it's welcomed, which is awesome.

Cons

It's a call center. Ignore the part about core values, or fun, or weirdness. It's a call center, and that's what it is.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing.