The Zappos Family Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
The Zappos Family CEO Tony Hsieh
Tony Hsieh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great teammates free food and no bosses health benefits" (in 46 reviews)

• "great benefits, good people to work aside, time to pursue growth and learning" (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "In addition, they like to make you believe they support a work/life balance, but the reality is, they want work/life to be all-inclusive of the them" (in 11 reviews)

• "If you're the type of person who prefers a quiet workplace with little to no distractions, this might not be the right work environment for you" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

Everything. The people, the customers, and the parties.

Cons

None really. I can't think of any.

2. "Great Company"

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

a lot of happy people who love working there.

Cons

Company is too big now.

"Stay Away and save your sanity!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All the Benefits are the only perks.

Cons

Leadership is non existent , HR will not support you ever, the most morally corrupt company i have ever worked for. People have affairs left and right, even the higher ups. They do not practice Holacracy, but didn't tell anyone. They are back to managers. The meetings are a joke, the Managers just tell you what is going to happen, but still make you go through the Holacracy process. They never stay with a plan for advancement, went a 1 1/2 years without one. New management are micro managers. Disrespectful and Very aggressive environment, not nice. You will not be given the proper tools to do your job. Lots of Amazon gridlock. Its who you know and not what you know. Partiers and DUI holders are praised and rewarded. Financially frivolous. No bonuses. Once a year raise...if you qualify. The list of Cons is endless. Don't believe the good reviews, They have not worked there long enough. Think long and hard if you want to work here. I only stayed for the money. I left because i know i deserve a more respectful, honest and professional environment to work in. Don't sell your soul to the devil in sheep's clothing.

Advice to Management

I will not waste my time. They do not care.

4. "Great company but new path is horrible"

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

Original benefits, flexibility, funnish work environment

Cons

Pay, changed benefits, horrible management, no opportunities for raises, witch hunt style core values that people can get fired for even when they did nothing wrong, extreme wasteful spending on culture events when all we want is better pay opportunities

Advice to Management

Give raises for performance and not come up with roadblocks to hinder people’s growth.

5. "Your primary department is your home base so make sure it works for you or find a different circle that gels with you."

Pros

On site gym... on site coffee shop... on site cafeteria...on site manicures and pedicures... On site fish tank... On site massage chairs... Awesome medical benefits... Free snacks... Weekly and monthly campus events... Scheduled auto maintenance services... Scheduled car wash services...what is there not to love or appreciate?

Cons

Nothing is perfect. So it's important to understand that with any workplace, you have to find your own way and that means being able to feel Respected, Appreciated, Satisfied, and Empowered... you may not get this feeling with everyone or with every department you work with so appreciate all the small things and simple things which adds up to a whole lot... The real con is the fact that the campus is smack dab in downtown which lends to all the of the dynamics that all downtown cities have (homelessness, traffic, pollution, noise, yadda, yadda) coupled with the desert heat that lasts 5-6 months of the year from April - October... Thank goodness for the Air Conditioning.

Advice to Management

The summer heat was especially brutal this year and it continues to be hot even through September...so wouldn't it be nice to have those efficient recycling water misters and water fountains around campus to cool things off since it's fairly hot throughout the year... Maybe even plant a few more tall trees around the campus... Put some green Trees on top of the building and parking lots. Hell let's put an adult splash pad in the center of the Metro! Here's to the little things that adds up to bigger things that make our Lives, our Community, our Family and our Work so wonderful at Zappos.

6. "Zappos"

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

great benefits, good people to work aside, time to pursue growth and learning

Cons

constant change, at least 2 shift bids a year

7. "It was great at the beginning but I had to quit after years of service."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This was my favorite job because of company events, benefits, and lifelong friends made here.

Cons

Our jobs were outsourced to Phillippines and Jamaica. Hours of operation were cut. Management was not helpful and very unprofessional at times.

Advice to Management

Keep your jobs on US soil.

8. "Doesn’t deliver happiness to employees"

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The day to day work ethic is not very intense at all. Hours are flexible and understanding for most teams and departments. Peers are great, and pay is good for the location. Medical benefits are top notch.

Cons

Leadership and high level competence is lacking in almost every department. HR is unable or unwilling to help as their hands are tied by their own leaders as well. Company strategy has been absent for years, and there’s little chance this will change due to senior leaders’ unwillingness to realize deficiencies and correct them.

I have survived several instances of highly unprofessional and demeaning behavior directed at myself and my team. I will bear these traumas for many years to come. I will find it difficult to look back on this company as a great place to work, so much so that I can no longer even be a customer.

Think long and hard before you accept a job here, as there’s few opportunities in Vegas and you’ll likely have to move if you become unhappy. If you’re driven and would like to make a difference at work, you will become unhappy. If you’re okay with coasting, you might be fine.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to offer that hasn’t already been surfaced through internal feedback.

"Nepotism Runs Rampant"

Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool parties, Free drink machines, no uniform policy!

Cons

The whole employee happiness thing is just for publicity. Zappos doesn't truly care about its employees. 5 people reported a lead link to HR yet the HR team said they could not substantiate the claims, even though evidence was provided. HR protects their friends and does not take the proper steps to investigate serious matters. I was forced to seek employment elsewhere because I felt I was in a hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Tony's a nice guy, but the blatant nepotism needs to go. Same with Holacracy.

"Great benefits, but not much else"

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

Excellent medical benefits, flexible schedule (except for call center)

Cons

Major company changes and reorganizations happening at least every 6 months. Severe lack of competent leadership. They say they care about their employees, but outside of the outstanding benefits package, they really don't seem to.