TheStreet Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Larry Kramer

Pros
  • They have an awesome internship program in which you can learn a ton (in 12 reviews)

• Interns get to visit NYSE and meet Jim Cramer (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Please don't think as a reporter at TheStreet Jim Cramer will know who you are (in 5 reviews)

• Alas, there didn't seem to be much possibility for a full-time position with benefits unless I relocated to Manhattan (in 4 reviews)

1. "TheStreet.com"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baldwin Harbor, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baldwin Harbor, NY

I worked at TheStreet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for your career. The technology was cool. I enjoyed the dress code which was lack. Working across the street from the stock exchange was nice as well.

Cons

No major cons. The commute was not the greatest from Long Island although you did have the opportunity to travel to Penn Station or Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn.

2. "Decent place; Wouldn't be a top pick"

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Some people are nice, helpful and knowledgeable
    -Great place to start out because you're forced to learn a lot very quickly

Cons

-Depressing environment; The environment is so dull. Nobody talks the entire day. A lot of people don't take lunch breaks. People just sit and stare at their computers. It's by far the quietest, least energetic place I've ever worked at.

I remember reading a review that said something along those lines and I thought they were exaggerating. But they weren't. And this is coming from a textbook introvert. I wish I had listened to that review. I'm writing this review for other people who may consider working here just so you know what you're getting into.

I feel starved for creativity and conversation. It has even affected my mood in after-work hours. Sometimes I go home and am just in a depressed mood because I didn't speak for 8 hours.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better. Encourage them to talk and take lunch breaks and work together.

3. "Good place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Amazing program of 20+ interns with multiple trips, lunches, and programs per week
    Great opportunity to learn and gain work experience
    Nice, helpful, and encouraging management and coworkers
    Opportunity to advance career and work full term
    Encourage career and professional development

Cons

Dull atmosphere at times and limited autonomy

"Not a great place"

Former Employee - Tech Reporter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tech Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at TheStreet (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food and drinks and decent hours

Cons

Stressful environment and no camaraderie

"Sr. Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet (More than 8 years)

Pros

TheStreet is a great place to work. I have experienced many great opportunities, growth, and met awesome colleagues.

Cons

I have no Cons to share

Advice to Management

I think with the new Interim CEO things are going in the right direction for the company. It would be great as a suggestion that team building exercises be established for the company to get more familiar with faces

7. "Interned with Video Team"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

-The place had a nice atmosphere.
    -The department I interned with was pretty relaxing, they let me go out and shoot packages, SOTs, events, etc.
    -Good with training new people
    -Department works out well even though it's small

Cons

-Though I did things there, most of the time it was slow. But, that's what happens when the company is a financial news company.
    -Most of the time is spent in house. Coming from somebody who previous Internship was 90% outside work.
    -Weird system with making animations. Instead of doing it yourself, you have to call someone else in the building to make it. Something that could take an hour takes TWICE as long.
    -Video Department had "okay" equipment.
    -Even thought most of the employees at my department were cool, a few were jerks. First few weeks there, they didn't really talk to me (but that's what its like for interns).

Advice to Management

[[KEEP IN CONTACT WITH FORMER EMPLOYEES/INTERNS]]

In this profession I'm in, keeping in contact is key in order to keep ties with video production. I feel that the department doesn't keep contact with former employees. No disrespect to the people there, but come on...KEEP CONTACT. Not hard to pick up a phone or write a email...

8. "Research analyst"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

- New management is instilling a good deal of increased morale/purpose to the entire organization
    - Open work environment allows for a lot of collaboration--I feel comfortable reaching out to anyone to ask for help
    - Extremely timely and helpful IT and HR support teams
    - Flexibility--if you need to work from home for a few hours for some reason, it's pretty easy to do
    - Great benefits, and HR is really helpful at explaining them and making sure you understand your program
    - Mobility--I myself haven't moved seats but may others have. Management is very open to giving employees new challenges/opportunities

Cons

- Very few that I can think of

9. "Investment Research"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- New management has added credibility (former head of USA Today and founder of Marketwatch is our CEO and Chairman) and helped to instill a much more dynamic, exciting culture where hard work is rewarded and creativity/outside-of-the-box thinking is encouraged. Has helped breath new energy into the company.
    - Very horizontal and way less bureaucracy since recent management changes took effect. Notable increase in talent and content
    - Bc of this, can rise up quickly
    - Best health benefits out there / 401k plan (company matches 8% 401k contribution)
    - New management invests in the business and its people, not about cutting costs like it was in the past

Cons

- Complacency/apathy not rewarded anymore (have been here a while, and in the past it had become more bureaucratic and about who you know rather than what you bring to the table)
    - More accountability since new management arrived (i.e. meritocracy where you're rewarded for adding value, and not rewarded if you're not...so could be a con depending on the vantage point)

Advice to Management

Am glad to see new management team take a real interest in the company and the people, and hope they keep promoting the people who are deserving.

"You could probably manage to run everything the same way you managed everything 10 years ago"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TheStreet full-time

Pros

Number of talented developers that have been pleasant to work with. Good benefits.

Cons

The following is *only* regarding the tech department.
    It's an "old school" and uninnovative company when it comes to IT and depending on the team you work with some of the managers are difficult to work and communicate with. I worked with a manager that would yell and lose temper upon asking simple questions regarding the environment or suggesting any kinds of changes.
    Not much team work.
    While there are number of employees who work full time remotely, you are not allowed to work from home.

Advice to Management

Adopt new technology. Identify + listen to your talented employees. You could probably manage to run everything the same way you managed everything 10 years ago but will benefit greatly from using new technology.
    Working from home is OK :)

"Research Intern"

Former Employee - Equity Research Intern in Bound Brook, NJ
    Former Employee - Equity Research Intern in Bound Brook, NJ

I worked at TheStreet (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, informative and interesting presentations every week or so, free vending machine snacks. Not just given busy work, research was actually used in some segments and online articles.

Cons

Pay could have been higher

TheStreet Response

Apr 12, 2016 – VP HR

Thank you for your review. It seems that you had a positive work experience here so we are surprised that you rated the company as a Doesn't Recommend. We always welcome feedback so would love to ... More