ThedaCare Reviews in Appleton, WI | Glassdoor

ThedaCare President and CEO Imran Andrabi
Imran Andrabi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low raises, always making changes that do not benefit patient care (in 4 reviews)

• 60 people are currently in "career transitions" which means they let you get pulled to the front of the line if you see a job posting they have (in 3 reviews)

1. "Positive energy, fast paced and an innovative company."

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Thedacare is a great place to work. The people you work with become your family. They are open to new ideas and supportive with changes.

Cons

Changes can happen pretty quickly and not enough time to adjust at times. Its a big company and sometimes doesn't have that "homey" feel.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and make changes. Keep your caregivers at the top when it comes to change along with the customers.

"ThedaCare"

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Appleton, WI

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Employees are treated like numbers, and as the organization grows it gets worse. When I started working at ThedaCare it had a "Family" culture.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have a better understand of the work, because of ThedaCare's Lean Culture changes are made on a continual basis by people not in the work and who don't understand who is all impacted by the change. There is also a huge communication gap between departments within the organization.

"Beautiful Ship- Without a Rudder"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Appleton, WI

I worked at ThedaCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security, Lots of transfer/growth opportunities, Nice facilities, Hard-working staff

Cons

Low overall morale, High burnout & turnover, Palpable resistance to innovation and engagement, Leadership vacuum,

Advice to Management

Follow my example and quit.

"lack of vision"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I worked at ThedaCare (More than 10 years)

Pros

coworkers are very nice.

Cons

16 year employee initially totally committed to the organization. Over the years there has been a significant erosion in employee morale due to many issues.
    1.Most recently has been the decision to focus on the 4 service lines that have highest revenue-oncology, cardiology, elective back, and ortho. Alienating the independent physicians who are the ones that bring revenue into the hospital by admitting patients, booking surgeries, ordering tests and imaging has boggled the mind. In the wisdom of the leadership, if not employed-the enemy. This has caused much difficulty among the physicians and administrators.
    2. Absolute gospel of ThedaCare improvement system. This had taken over all semblance of reasonable problem solving in every aspect of the organization. Now it has been dismantled. No one ever evaluated it as a tool against other problem solving techniques. Now there is an entire bed tower built with goal of total collaborative care ( a brainchild of TIS). Collaborative care has also been eliminated.
    3. too many middle managers who honestly know little about the big picture but are willing to do anything to be promoted within the organization
    4. until recently, unwillingness to bring in outside ideas
    5. increasing funds to TIS/administrators and lack of support of staff. Imposed rules for RN caused major loss of experienced RNs and it has been difficult to recover. So many expensive Travel RN while those with long standing history are not financially compensated.
    6. decision to purchase critical access hospitals with idea that they would fill the larger hospitals. Has not turned out that way and costs for the purchase, building new buildings( Shawano) conversion of EMR has been very high.
    7. Major funds spent on marketing rather than the employees. This is a small community. why the push? They know the competition only too well as has been the same for years. The relationships that existed have in large part been damaged so the marketing has fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes.

Advice to Management

Get a long term meaningful strategic vision. Implement in a caring way that focuses on relationship building-between your staff, physicians and patients as well as community.

"LPN"

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time

Pros

Great employer 403b match
    I love my job as an LPN ~ hard, fast paced environment. Great coworkers and management.

Cons

Too many changes all at once. Recently eliminating their "colaborative care" nursing status and pursuing "primary" nursing. Thus, phasing out LPNs and prefering mainly RNs and CNAs as a team. Difficult transition for all of us who work on the units.

"CNA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, enjoy patients

Cons

Low raises, always making changes that do not benefit patient care. Over worked

Advice to Management

clicky management/employee, not in the click you don't get the perks

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Appleton, WI

I worked at ThedaCare full-time

Pros

The people who work at ThedaCare are incredible. I loved all of my co-workers and everyone helped out others.

Cons

They say they have a no layoff policy but do not believe them. They are laying off entire departments and treating the individuals horribly in the process. They may say that it is " career transitions" but when you were previously in a management role and they have nothing available they say we have a job on the floor and you will have to take a cut in pay and benefits but isn't that better than no job at all.

Advice to Management

Care about you people. We are not just numbers to be cut because you are overspending and trying to grow to quickly. You say you are a lean organization but how can a true lean organization get rid of all of the people (facilitators) who actually do the improvement work. If you truly want to save money practice what you preach and actually become lean instead of just pretending to be.

"Good bonuses, weird schedule"

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Appleton, WI

I have been working at ThedaCare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses everywhere! For picking up weekends, for working overnights, for getting forced over, for short notice shifts. Also, great management that really tries to work with you and are just nice, professional people.

Cons

Flipping back and forth between days and nights. Sometimes overstaffed (get sent home, no money) sometimes understaffed (get forced over into a 16 hour shift). Sometimes I can't schedule things because I don't know if I'll be working or not.

Advice to Management

Make hours regular and offer more full time positions.

"Mixed feelings"

Current Employee - Speech Recognition Medical Transcriptionist Editor in Appleton, WI

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible
    Constant change
    Top in industry
    Great benefits

Cons

Big change affected job status
    Issues within department remained
    Minimum communication from manager

Advice to Management

Handle big changes better
    Know how employees are affected individually instead of cookie-cutter approach

"LPN"

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time

Pros

NONE at all, don't do it.

Cons

Theda has proven to be a terrible company to work for the frequently go through "changes" within the company (every 6 month to a year) in which our schedules change, our hours change, they increase patient workload, decrease staff hours. Management is not transparent in the slightest, but they will preach on transparency all day long. Recently they went through over a 1 million dollar rebranding and then after told staff that they had to restructure and cut staff hours CNAs and LPNs have 12 patients on a day shift medical and surgical floor. We have lost vacation time, incentive pay, and been used and abused. DONT COME HERE.

Advice to Management

STOP LYING, if you treat your nurses well good care will be provided.