ThedaCare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dean Gruner

Pros
Cons
  • Low raises, always making changes that do not benefit patient care (in 4 reviews)

• 60 people are currently in "career transitions" which means they let you get pulled to the front of the line if you see a job posting they have (in 3 reviews)

1. "Positive energy, fast paced and an innovative company."

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Appleton, WI

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Thedacare is a great place to work. The people you work with become your family. They are open to new ideas and supportive with changes.

Cons

Changes can happen pretty quickly and not enough time to adjust at times. Its a big company and sometimes doesn't have that "homey" feel.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and make changes. Keep your caregivers at the top when it comes to change along with the customers.

"ThedaCare"

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Appleton, WI

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Employees are treated like numbers, and as the organization grows it gets worse. When I started working at ThedaCare it had a "Family" culture.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have a better understand of the work, because of ThedaCare's Lean Culture changes are made on a continual basis by people not in the work and who don't understand who is all impacted by the change. There is also a huge communication gap between departments within the organization.

"IT"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Neenah, WI

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible, Fair wages, generous vacation

Cons

Little growth opportunities, little to no access to supervisor, poor health care benefits

Advice to Management

Increase some benefits instead of taking them away. Promote people within.

"Beautiful Ship- Without a Rudder"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Appleton, WI

I worked at ThedaCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security, Lots of transfer/growth opportunities, Nice facilities, Hard-working staff

Cons

Low overall morale, High burnout & turnover, Palpable resistance to innovation and engagement, Leadership vacuum,

Advice to Management

Follow my example and quit.

6. "Nice Place"

Current Employee - Certified Surgical Technologist in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Certified Surgical Technologist in Neenah, WI

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere, good benefits, great reputation.

Cons

I really can't think of any, at my age I wish I could retire.

Advice to Management

none

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Neenah, WI

I have been working at ThedaCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Up to date with technology

Cons

I feel as if this healthcare system has been too focused on business and less on their healthcare staff (providers, nurses, etc.)

Advice to Management

I have been in your employ for 16 years. Still working hard, but have not ever felt appreciated

"Medical assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

Pros

Dedicated, compassionate and supportive floor staff. I am amazed at the commitment to excellence I see in the people I am fortunate enough to work with.

Cons

I'm extremely disappointed at how far the current leadership has let this company fall. The implementation of the current staffing model sent over 40% of the nursing staff to other companies. Even though this model has proven to be ineffective, costly, and even dangerous. The schedules are full of holes which means staff already working 12 hour shifts are constantly being forced over to 16 hours, which has caused a marked increase in errors, injury's to staff, and has subsequently triggered another mass exodus of not only nursing staff, but Doctors, as well. Staff spend valuable time that should be dedicated to patient care, trying to find staff for the next shift. There is also an atmosphere of fear generated by leadership which deters staff from filing formal complaints. Staff that do report abuse from managers, find, at the very least, that nothing is done to rectify the situation, and more likely find themselves written up for insubordination. It seems leadership is only interested in protecting their paychecks. I'm anxiously awaiting confirmation of another position with another company.

Advice to Management

Give control back to your staff. These are the only people who know what is needed. I'm sure you will find a plethora of very intelligent, dedicated, motivated staff members who would jump at the opportunity to fix this mess. Take a look at the mission statement once in a while. And what happened to the transparency I heard so much about in orientation? Please, our patients NEED you to pay attention!!

"Expecations let down"

Current Employee - CNA in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - CNA in Neenah, WI

I have been working at ThedaCare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing anymore. Staff tries to do the best they can for patient with what they can.

Cons

Short Staffed. No bonuses for part time people

Advice to Management

BE INVOLVED. STAFF FOR ACUITY. GIVE BONUSES TO PART-TIME people picking up also.

"lack of vision"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I worked at ThedaCare (More than 10 years)

Pros

coworkers are very nice.

Cons

16 year employee initially totally committed to the organization. Over the years there has been a significant erosion in employee morale due to many issues.
    1.Most recently has been the decision to focus on the 4 service lines that have highest revenue-oncology, cardiology, elective back, and ortho. Alienating the independent physicians who are the ones that bring revenue into the hospital by admitting patients, booking surgeries, ordering tests and imaging has boggled the mind. In the wisdom of the leadership, if not employed-the enemy. This has caused much difficulty among the physicians and administrators.
    2. Absolute gospel of ThedaCare improvement system. This had taken over all semblance of reasonable problem solving in every aspect of the organization. Now it has been dismantled. No one ever evaluated it as a tool against other problem solving techniques. Now there is an entire bed tower built with goal of total collaborative care ( a brainchild of TIS). Collaborative care has also been eliminated.
    3. too many middle managers who honestly know little about the big picture but are willing to do anything to be promoted within the organization
    4. until recently, unwillingness to bring in outside ideas
    5. increasing funds to TIS/administrators and lack of support of staff. Imposed rules for RN caused major loss of experienced RNs and it has been difficult to recover. So many expensive Travel RN while those with long standing history are not financially compensated.
    6. decision to purchase critical access hospitals with idea that they would fill the larger hospitals. Has not turned out that way and costs for the purchase, building new buildings( Shawano) conversion of EMR has been very high.
    7. Major funds spent on marketing rather than the employees. This is a small community. why the push? They know the competition only too well as has been the same for years. The relationships that existed have in large part been damaged so the marketing has fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes.

Advice to Management

Get a long term meaningful strategic vision. Implement in a caring way that focuses on relationship building-between your staff, physicians and patients as well as community.

11. "Sonographer. Last year worked there 2008"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waupaca, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waupaca, WI

I worked at ThedaCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful team work and co-employees. Great income and customer care, including communication and documentation.

Cons

Was an employee who had [on-call] emergency patients. After being on-call 24/7 including Holidays for 20 plus years; became old school. During moments I was with my children and called into work it became very tiring.

Advice to Management

None