TheeDesign Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Richard Horvath

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great coworkers and clients"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at TheeDesign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We have a great team and customers.

Cons

Growing pains that the management handles slowly

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at TheeDesign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work in a small company that feels that you are part of a family.

The owner is very generous and offers a lot of benefits to the employees.

- Great health insurance and subsidy to the swankiest gym in Raleigh
    - Catered Lunch and Learn
    - Team lunches and team building events
    - Use of company vehicles
    - Bi-weekly massage therapy
    - Fresh fruit delivered weekly
    - Fancy coffee machine
    - Company logo merchandise (cool t-shirts, sunglasses, hats and other)

Cons

People who don't have good work ethic and see their position as a job and not a career.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the right people and those that share the company's core values.

Aug 31, 2018 – President

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and apologies for the tardy reply. I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the many perks and benefits we offer the team.

I also wanted to say that we've recently... More

"Healthy, Happy, and Productive Work Environment!"

Current Employee - Team Member in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Team Member in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at TheeDesign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smaller agency, owner really cares and invests in employees who are interested in growing and learning, lots of perks (like a great coffee machine complete w/espresso and seasonal lattes!), family inclusive events, transparent leadership, collaborative, friendly and highly skilled team, access to tons of learning resources and awesome industry conferences.

Cons

We work hard for our clients and sometimes that means putting in a little extra and going beyond the scope of a typical 8 hour day, not sure this is a con as much as part of Agency life.

If you are passionate about what you do, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Aug 31, 2018 – President

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'm happy to hear you feel appreciated and are taking advantage of the many benefits we provide.

And you're right. Sometimes we do work more than a typical... More

"Marketing Specialist"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at TheeDesign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with a couple really nice talented people.

Ample parking and office proximity to local restaurants and stores.

Not really any other pros.

Cons

TheeDesign is an option as a temporary place to land while you look for an actual career option. Don't expect management to properly evaluate your work or appreciate any of the benefits you bring to the team. You will quickly be inundated with half-finished projects that were started by other team members that literally walked out and never came back. Good employees leaving abruptly and never returning seems to be a regular occurrence here. The owner of the company is a paranoid micromanager and will regularly belittle his managers and employees for the sake of his own ego. They are regularly understaffed because of this. The longest-tenured employees here have only been here 3 years, and there are only three of them. This contradicts the multiple reviews I read here from "people" that have been here three or more years. The reviews are all written by the same person.

If you have any kind of medical condition that requires you to see a doctor regulary, don't waste your time. The owner has no tolerance for people wanting to actually use their PTO. He will make comments about it to you as well as talking bad about it behind your back to managers and other employees.

If you're a parent with younger children, likewise don't waste your time. The same treatment will apply to you f you need to take time off for sick kids or school engagements. It's not worth the hassle and stress, as you will certainly not be paid the industry average for your work, let alone be compensated for how you will be treated.

Aug 31, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and apologies for the tardy reply. We are always looking for ways to improve. We’ve recently hired a VP of Operations and are working on... More

"Job Seeker Warning"

I worked at TheeDesign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TheeDesign wasn't the greatest company to work for. The people that work there are the only saviors that made that job tolerable (so THANK YOU). People work hard and engaged with an OK customer base. Some of the work is challenging, but overall it's pretty basic. I think the only good thing about this place was maybe the team lunches, but even then that perk lost its luster.

Cons

Don't expect to move up in rank here because there isn't a higher management team. The only one pulling the strings in that company is the owner and he's not doing it very well. Internally, most of the time it's chaos because there are no processes. Any ideas you do raise to make it better are shot down by the owner, so it's best to just come in do your job and work with your "manager" because they might actually listen to you. Also, Company customer practices are somewhat shady, you'll get that feeling quickly when you start. Do you like being watched like a hawk? Then prepare yourself for being watched on lunches: when you leave- when you come back. Vacations? Yea you get 2 weeks, but prepare to be judged by the owner for taking any time off. Overall, if you are looking for an in-between job (not a career) and don't mind dysfunction/turnover then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and there might be a more stable employee base.

Aug 31, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and apologies for the tardy reply. We are committed to creating a collaborative, transparent, and comfortable environment for our team and it... More

"An Established and Dynamic Agency"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at TheeDesign full-time

Pros

As a professional with 14 years experience in the industry, I've worked at a full gamut of digital agencies ranging in size from 3 to 1200 employees. TheeDesign has stood the test of time and continues to grow and refine their services. This is not an easy feat given today's competition and the pace at which technology changes. If you look at the Raleigh, NC and Houston, TX market over the last ten years, you will see that many firms have closed or reduced in-house staff. However, TheeDesign has managed to stay on or ahead of the curve which why I was so excited to work with them.

* If I did not have to leave for personal reasons, I'd still be at TheeDesign today.

For those that like bulleted lists:

Work Environment:

- Beautiful, accommodating and well furnished
    - Stocked with fruit, snacks and an excellent hot beverage machine, weekly massages and company lunches
    - White board walls that encourage collaboration and individual organization

The Team:

- Highly skilled and adaptable - some of the best SEOs in the area (first agency listed organically for "Raleigh Web Design")
    - Laid back culture, but results driven. If you need little direction, you don't have to worry about being micromanaged
    - The sales team consults the production team before finalizing proposals which means we confidently deliver what was sold.
    - The owner is very humble and knowledgeable - not just a paper pusher. He is not afraid to get involved in the nitty gritty to help improve processes.
    - Transparency in communication
    - Frequent team building activities

The Work:

- Work on a variety of projects in a myriad of industries and platforms. There is always something challenging to work on.
    - We don't sell clients around tools and processes, we adapt and make sure things get done right with the best client result.

Cons

I cannot think of any that are not present in any agency setting. To me there are no "cons", just challenges and opportunities. Clients can be demanding and timelines and urgency may fluctuate - but that is true of any similar business.

If you want a job doing the same task with no spontaneity, you might want to find a different industry to work in (not necessarily a con).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The agency has been around a long time and only gets better each year.

"A ton of learning with great people"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist

I worked at TheeDesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Incredibly smart and dedicated people on the Marketing team. Seriously, I learned more in my 18 months here than I had learned in my entire career up until this point. TheeDesign has some of the best SEOs in the Raleigh area.
    -Legitimately fun environment. The people with whom I worked had a wonderful sense of humor and made even the most boring or sucky days into opportunities for laughter.
    -Good clients, good websites: The sales team got us good, manageable clients and the the production team made pretty and functional websites for us to optimize.
    -Flexibility: If you needed to be home for a family emergency or something similar, you weren't generally penalized for it.
    -Self Improvement: During my 18 months at TheeDesign, I saw a lot of positive changes from a place that was initially worrying to a fantastic employer, and I believe that they can continue those changes.

Cons

-Growing Pains: TheeDesign suffered many of the growing pains other companies suffer as they're trying to move upmarket, including confused documentation and management working at cross purposes. I mention it because it happened, not because I believe it is unique to TheeDesign or indicative of the quality of the management.
    -Occasional Micromanagement: While working in the marketing department was usually a joy, I feel occasionally micromanaged at seemingly random intervals.
    -Oddly Inflexible About Odd Things: I know this might be confusing considering I listed flexibility as a pro above, but trust me it confused me too. In light of management's willingness to allow people time for emergencies or other occurrences, their inflexibility about certain other things like work from home more often seemed strange.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees and improving the company! In addition, consider giving employees a bit more flexibility.

"Great job for professionals"

I have been working at TheeDesign (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hi! I'm Sharon.

I've been at TheeDesign for three years now.

I wanted to work for a small company where I could actually know the owner and other team members. I like that my opinion is welcomed, heard, and I have been able to influence change at the company. I appreciate that management listens when constructive ideas and suggestions for improvement (versus unproductive complaining) are brought to the table and makes changes to improve things recommended by the employees. I feel trusted and encouraged to do my job and given the training and time to learn more skills to help me become a better marketer.

I enjoy a number of benefits here that I didn't have back when I worked for Big Corporate. Including two team lunches almost every week, being allowed to occasionally work from home, free sodas, awesome coffee and snacks for employees to enjoy, staff trips & parties that our family are invited to, and paid tickets for local SEO & WordPress conferences.

Like every other company I've worked for in the past 25 years, yeah, there's occasional turnover. A number of employees left recently when there was a change in management, and it was sad that they cared more about who they worked with than helping the company through a slightly rough patch. I feel like we're a better company now for the changes we've had recently. I'm happy that the people who were here just for a paycheck (who love to leave bad reviews for us) versus a career are gone, and the team we have is focused on growing the company and growing with the company.

You may have seen some negative reviews saying positive reviews are fake. This isn't one, and if you don't believe me please contact me directly. I'm Sharon Dawson. You'll find me on the TheeDesign website. For the last three years and the next three years to come. :-)

In summary:
    Great perks
    Chance to grow
    Chance to know your team
    Get to help small businesses grow and succeed - both TheeDesign and your clients
    This isn't the job for you if you don't want to actually do your work or just complain all day

Cons

Turnover as a result of some employees being hired that were here for a job versus a career. But thankfully we've got new managers doing the hiring.

Advice to Management

Keep on growing the company like the past decade to help more clients and offer more jobs to local professionals.

Oct 5, 2016 – Owner / President

Thank you very much for your review. We really appreciate you and everyone at the company who contribute to our and our clients’ success in this extremely competitive and challenging industry and... More

"Thee Place to Work in Raleigh"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at TheeDesign full-time

Pros

Great collaborative environment. Opportunity for continuing education. Free pizza & occasionally doughnuts. We have a lot of fun with friendly competition & performance incentives. Surrounded by highly competent and motivated people.

Cons

I cannot currently think of any cons. We are treated very fairly, we get rewarded for a job well done, and we are allowed leniency when unexpected things happen - like having to stay home with a sick child.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. With your track record of continued growth, clearly you are in the habit of making sound decisions.

"Not my favorite place to work."

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at TheeDesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to put “Thee” in front of every noun or activity in your daily lives while you incorporate the company’s marketing strategy into your daily life.

I will say that it was nice to work with a lot of the local companies in the area instead of the large brands. This usually means that the clients you work with are typically more passionate about the work they want done, and their business as a whole. In my experience, you tend to lose that as budgets grow and the relationships become more impersonal.

I did have the chance to learn from other smart individuals at the company that had been there for 3-4 years prior to my own hire. I would also like to mention that once you have proven your worth, you become an account lead and manage your own campaigns as compared to some of the other agencies in the area that have one or two brilliant SEOs who pass their workload down.

The organization is pretty health oriented despite the abundance of pizza and Thursday’s out.

Cons

There were many.

After a couple of months at thee company, I knew that there was no chance for advancement unless my more senior co-workers left. I should have seen this during my initial trial period with “trial pay” that I was forced to extend beyond the 90-day mark for silly internal training based reasons. My hunch was verified earlier this year as I watched my previous coworkers maintain their same position within thee company, followed by the mass company-wide exodus.

Thee “family” based culture is also forced upon you in a self supporting manor. Most of thee events are thrown as a social platform for thee CEO to show off to his friends. They are held after-hours and you will not be paid for them.

It is also extremely difficult to present new ideas and have them heard out. I distinctly remember one client meeting where I presented a new idea for a client and the CEO told me “that if you want to keep your job, then it is best if you never bring it up again.” All of this because I recommended a link removal strategy to help combat thee awful internal link building strategies. At that point I continued to comment spam so that I hit my monthly quotas.

Trust was also a major issue at the company. It was exceedingly difficult to get a day off or have time during the day for the doctors. The fingerprint scanners and the extensive micromanagement made for a suffocating working environment that stifled creativity. Understand the mold, fit the mold, become the mold.

The unpaid maternity / paternity leave was also a sore issue. We were not expecting at the time, but there are plenty of other companies in the Triangle that easily provide this. Plan ahead as best you can with your family.

I also found that management’s ability to show respect for a person’s decency was often overshadowed by a person’s revenue potential. There were a couple times where employees would tell our receptionists “to act like a good girl and throw away my coffee for me. “ This and similarly demeaning language led to a couple of same day walk-outs, and thee CEO failed to appropriately reprimand the offending person time after time. The environment was sad and toxic.

Advice to Management

Consider what you are putting your employees through. No one wants to be stressed about coming into the office each day. You have a chance to start over with new hires.

Nov 8, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We do feel that this review deserves a response.

Every small business has it's own unique culture. Local web design and marketing... More