TheeDesign Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Richard Horvath

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"An Established and Dynamic Agency"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at TheeDesign full-time

Pros

As a professional with 14 years experience in the industry, I've worked at a full gamut of digital agencies ranging in size from 3 to 1200 employees. TheeDesign has stood the test of time and continues to grow and refine their services. This is not an easy feat given today's competition and the pace at which technology changes. If you look at the Raleigh, NC and Houston, TX market over the last ten years, you will see that many firms have closed or reduced in-house staff. However, TheeDesign has managed to stay on or ahead of the curve which why I was so excited to work with them.

* If I did not have to leave for personal reasons, I'd still be at TheeDesign today.

For those that like bulleted lists:

Work Environment:

- Beautiful, accommodating and well furnished
    - Stocked with fruit, snacks and an excellent hot beverage machine, weekly massages and company lunches
    - White board walls that encourage collaboration and individual organization

The Team:

- Highly skilled and adaptable - some of the best SEOs in the area (first agency listed organically for "Raleigh Web Design")
    - Laid back culture, but results driven. If you need little direction, you don't have to worry about being micromanaged
    - The sales team consults the production team before finalizing proposals which means we confidently deliver what was sold.
    - The owner is very humble and knowledgeable - not just a paper pusher. He is not afraid to get involved in the nitty gritty to help improve processes.
    - Transparency in communication
    - Frequent team building activities

The Work:

- Work on a variety of projects in a myriad of industries and platforms. There is always something challenging to work on.
    - We don't sell clients around tools and processes, we adapt and make sure things get done right with the best client result.

Cons

I cannot think of any that are not present in any agency setting. To me there are no "cons", just challenges and opportunities. Clients can be demanding and timelines and urgency may fluctuate - but that is true of any similar business.

If you want a job doing the same task with no spontaneity, you might want to find a different industry to work in (not necessarily a con).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The agency has been around a long time and only gets better each year.

"A ton of learning with great people"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist

I worked at TheeDesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Incredibly smart and dedicated people on the Marketing team. Seriously, I learned more in my 18 months here than I had learned in my entire career up until this point. TheeDesign has some of the best SEOs in the Raleigh area.
    -Legitimately fun environment. The people with whom I worked had a wonderful sense of humor and made even the most boring or sucky days into opportunities for laughter.
    -Good clients, good websites: The sales team got us good, manageable clients and the the production team made pretty and functional websites for us to optimize.
    -Flexibility: If you needed to be home for a family emergency or something similar, you weren't generally penalized for it.
    -Self Improvement: During my 18 months at TheeDesign, I saw a lot of positive changes from a place that was initially worrying to a fantastic employer, and I believe that they can continue those changes.

Cons

-Growing Pains: TheeDesign suffered many of the growing pains other companies suffer as they're trying to move upmarket, including confused documentation and management working at cross purposes. I mention it because it happened, not because I believe it is unique to TheeDesign or indicative of the quality of the management.
    -Occasional Micromanagement: While working in the marketing department was usually a joy, I feel occasionally micromanaged at seemingly random intervals.
    -Oddly Inflexible About Odd Things: I know this might be confusing considering I listed flexibility as a pro above, but trust me it confused me too. In light of management's willingness to allow people time for emergencies or other occurrences, their inflexibility about certain other things like work from home more often seemed strange.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees and improving the company! In addition, consider giving employees a bit more flexibility.

"Great job for professionals"

I have been working at TheeDesign (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hi! I'm Sharon.

I've been at TheeDesign for three years now.

I wanted to work for a small company where I could actually know the owner and other team members. I like that my opinion is welcomed, heard, and I have been able to influence change at the company. I appreciate that management listens when constructive ideas and suggestions for improvement (versus unproductive complaining) are brought to the table and makes changes to improve things recommended by the employees. I feel trusted and encouraged to do my job and given the training and time to learn more skills to help me become a better marketer.

I enjoy a number of benefits here that I didn't have back when I worked for Big Corporate. Including two team lunches almost every week, being allowed to occasionally work from home, free sodas, awesome coffee and snacks for employees to enjoy, staff trips & parties that our family are invited to, and paid tickets for local SEO & WordPress conferences.

Like every other company I've worked for in the past 25 years, yeah, there's occasional turnover. A number of employees left recently when there was a change in management, and it was sad that they cared more about who they worked with than helping the company through a slightly rough patch. I feel like we're a better company now for the changes we've had recently. I'm happy that the people who were here just for a paycheck (who love to leave bad reviews for us) versus a career are gone, and the team we have is focused on growing the company and growing with the company.

You may have seen some negative reviews saying positive reviews are fake. This isn't one, and if you don't believe me please contact me directly. I'm Sharon Dawson. You'll find me on the TheeDesign website. For the last three years and the next three years to come. :-)

In summary:
    Great perks
    Chance to grow
    Chance to know your team
    Get to help small businesses grow and succeed - both TheeDesign and your clients
    This isn't the job for you if you don't want to actually do your work or just complain all day

Cons

Turnover as a result of some employees being hired that were here for a job versus a career. But thankfully we've got new managers doing the hiring.

Advice to Management

Keep on growing the company like the past decade to help more clients and offer more jobs to local professionals.

Oct 5, 2016 – Owner / President

Thank you very much for your review. We really appreciate you and everyone at the company who contribute to our and our clients’ success in this extremely competitive and challenging industry and... More

"Thee Place to Work in Raleigh"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at TheeDesign full-time

Pros

Great collaborative environment. Opportunity for continuing education. Free pizza & occasionally doughnuts. We have a lot of fun with friendly competition & performance incentives. Surrounded by highly competent and motivated people.

Cons

I cannot currently think of any cons. We are treated very fairly, we get rewarded for a job well done, and we are allowed leniency when unexpected things happen - like having to stay home with a sick child.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. With your track record of continued growth, clearly you are in the habit of making sound decisions.

"Not my favorite place to work."

I worked at TheeDesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to put “Thee” in front of every noun or activity in your daily lives while you incorporate the company’s marketing strategy into your daily life.

I will say that it was nice to work with a lot of the local companies in the area instead of the large brands. This usually means that the clients you work with are typically more passionate about the work they want done, and their business as a whole. In my experience, you tend to lose that as budgets grow and the relationships become more impersonal.

I did have the chance to learn from other smart individuals at the company that had been there for 3-4 years prior to my own hire. I would also like to mention that once you have proven your worth, you become an account lead and manage your own campaigns as compared to some of the other agencies in the area that have one or two brilliant SEOs who pass their workload down.

The organization is pretty health oriented despite the abundance of pizza and Thursday’s out.

Cons

There were many.

After a couple of months at thee company, I knew that there was no chance for advancement unless my more senior co-workers left. I should have seen this during my initial trial period with “trial pay” that I was forced to extend beyond the 90-day mark for silly internal training based reasons. My hunch was verified earlier this year as I watched my previous coworkers maintain their same position within thee company, followed by the mass company-wide exodus.

Thee “family” based culture is also forced upon you in a self supporting manor. Most of thee events are thrown as a social platform for thee CEO to show off to his friends. They are held after-hours and you will not be paid for them.

It is also extremely difficult to present new ideas and have them heard out. I distinctly remember one client meeting where I presented a new idea for a client and the CEO told me “that if you want to keep your job, then it is best if you never bring it up again.” All of this because I recommended a link removal strategy to help combat thee awful internal link building strategies. At that point I continued to comment spam so that I hit my monthly quotas.

Trust was also a major issue at the company. It was exceedingly difficult to get a day off or have time during the day for the doctors. The fingerprint scanners and the extensive micromanagement made for a suffocating working environment that stifled creativity. Understand the mold, fit the mold, become the mold.

The unpaid maternity / paternity leave was also a sore issue. We were not expecting at the time, but there are plenty of other companies in the Triangle that easily provide this. Plan ahead as best you can with your family.

I also found that management’s ability to show respect for a person’s decency was often overshadowed by a person’s revenue potential. There were a couple times where employees would tell our receptionists “to act like a good girl and throw away my coffee for me. “ This and similarly demeaning language led to a couple of same day walk-outs, and thee CEO failed to appropriately reprimand the offending person time after time. The environment was sad and toxic.

Advice to Management

Consider what you are putting your employees through. No one wants to be stressed about coming into the office each day. You have a chance to start over with new hires.

Nov 8, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We do feel that this review deserves a response.

Every small business has it's own unique culture. Local web design and marketing... More

"My Career is Soaring - Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Pros

Best Training
    Amazing People
    Delicious Coffee
    Collaborative Work Environment
    Open Door Policy
    Monthly Success Parties

Cons

TheeDesign is a results driven web design & digital marketing agency dedicated to client success so it's not a good environment for those who are not willing to work hard.

Advice to Management

Continue with the commitment to promoting a positive & engaging work environment.

Aug 23, 2016 – Owner / President

Thank you very much for your feedback. We appreciate your work and we are very happy to have you on our team!

"Great people squandered by awful management"

I worked at TheeDesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Somehow, TheeDesign had assembled a team of some of the best and brightest in SEO in the Triangle. I fully believe the team TDS had was the strongest SEO team in the area.

- Free "lunch and learn" on Fridays with free pizza.

- Monthly beer meetings to go over team successes.

- Fancy new office with whiteboard walls and free massages.

SUMMARY: The company has the fringe benefits in place to make you feel special.

Cons

- Most of those super talented people all left over the span of four months, from what I hear. Lost 2/3 of the marketing department due to employee resignation (not terminations) and about half of the development team.

- Hope you don't have any different ideas for what you should eat at lunch and learn, because the CEO will only provide pizza.

- "lunch and learn" isn't so much an educational experience as much as it is a chance for the management team to ask for ideas on how to make the company suck less, then proceed to shoot down/ignore every idea

- Micromanagement galore. Clock in and clock out even though you're salaried. Fingerprint yourself so management knows nobody is checking in/out for you.

- If you take a single day off, prepare for a deluge of interrogation questions asking where you were and what you were doing. The company loses people so frequently that they've become paranoid.

- Management distrusts employees and it trickles down into the culture of the company. Lots of attempts to cover it up with corporate culture and team spirit, but people leave closed-door meetings in tears an uncomfortable amount of the time.

- Pay was about 20% less than the going rate in the area for similar jobs.

- Adhesion to old school, outdated management styles, SEO tactics, and development best practices. Trying to bring up ideas for change results in lip service and no real action.

- Only lateral growth available. Don't expect any vertical growth and don't expect a raise.

- No benefits of any kind other than a monthly bonus. No health insurance, no 401k, no dental, no vision, no sick days, and PTO is the bare minimum.

SUMMARY: Don't believe the padded five-star reviews. I was asked by a manager to fudge one after I had only been at the company for a week and a half. The management style at the top trickles down to create a wholly unhealthy work environment. I could see this being a good place for someone just out of college or getting a fresh start on their career, but the policies and practices in place are insulting to anyone who considers themselves a fully formed, responsible adult. The amount of stress felt here... the intense feeling of not wanting to come into the office... it's all because the ones at the top don't listen to people who know better and are stuck in their old ways.

Advice to Management

Time to change the guard. Replace those at the top, have them transition into an ownership only position, and let people who know what they're doing run the business.

Oct 5, 2016 – Owner / President

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We take all comments very seriously.

Please note, we take out our team to various restaurants on an ongoing basis. We often order... More

"Very Poor Company Culture, No Ethics"

I worked at TheeDesign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good clients, nicely designed websites

Cons

The company culture is draining. Management is very unethical, they lie, they hide things, they don't provide positive reinforcement. They check your messages and browser history because they don't trust anyone. Good employees are driven away be poor management and poor business practices. The company only cares about money and is willing to lie to clients and screw them out of money. Half the company quit within a matter of months.

Advice to Management

Honesty and trust go a long way

Oct 7, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We do feel that this review deserves a response regardless of how inaccurate the claims made are.

This isn't a job for the faint of... More

"Bad Company Culture, Good Pay"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at TheeDesign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, some really good clients bc of an amazing sales team.

Cons

Worst company culture I have ever been in. CEO/managers are unethical, rude, and have driven many good employees away. When I was there for less than a year, I saw SO much turnover. The company performs good work but as an employee you are left unsatisfied and unhappy. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and learn to build a better company culture

Oct 5, 2016 – Owner / President

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We take employee feedback very seriously.

We are very sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied and unhappy during your very short... More

"Great Culture. Great People. Great Energy."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at TheeDesign (More than a year)

Pros

- Fun, down to earth and super smart co-workers (I love these people)
    - Understanding and approachable management team.
    - Awesome career growth potential
    - Exciting and challenging projects
    - Team lunches and team building opportunities
    - Collaborative and open environment
    - Brand new offices with lots of white board walls for creative thinking
    - Resources and training
    - Industry event tickets

Cons

Balancing work and play can be a challenge in this industry and TheeDesign is no different although management does encourage everyone to use vacation and is extremely family friendly.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employees, look to them for ideas and let them do what they do best for our customers.