Theory Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Theory Founder & Co-CEO Andrew Rosen
Andrew Rosen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great discount, good benefits and a lot of nice people (in 9 reviews)

• Great employee discount, great clothing allowance and good contests (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to listen to front line-store workers (in 10 reviews)

• None, it just seems like my store manager has a heavy load to take on and doesn't have too much of a work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

"Worst place I´ve ever worked as a tech designer."

Former Employee - Senior Tech Designer
    Former Employee - Senior Tech Designer

I worked at Theory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts, some skilled and wonderful co-workers. Interesting location - Meat Packing District.

Cons

No infrastructure or clear pre-production process to support employees, which causes the tech department to end up with overwhelming amount of responsibilities. Set up for failure - you are expected to do the "right thing" - read the ever-changing management´s mind - while churning out insane amount of work. Unmanageable and unrealistic expectations, with no appreciation for the efforts. Management "asks" its employees for "favors" of extra workloads, etc. with empty promises. It is common for employees to stay til 10pm all the time.

Advice to Management

This is no longer a tiny moms n pops shop. Take some management classes and establish a clear process.

"Worst Worst place I ever worked at. I wouldn't work there for a million dollars!!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Theory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great "BRANDING"
    Great "NYC DISTRICT" HQ are located in the Meatpacking district ....
    Amazing Facilities Manager :)

Cons

Pretty much everything else is bad. They have no cubicles so everyone is exposed. NO privacy.... You are cramped up in one area sitting 2 or 3 inches away from a co-worker that is involved in a completely different role then you are. I have counted 5
    Supervisors do not train you. Supervisor will make decisions for your on your career without even letting you know what their plan is for you. They don't consult with you to advise to you that they will be moving you to a different location. Upper management is simply stated in one word: MESS
     IT SUCKS!

Advice to Management

Reward your employees and Appreciate them. Don't treat them like crap! Upper Mgmt needs to have "CLEAR Communication" and respect other people's time. Have better time management.

"Unprofessional and treat employees like crap!"

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Theory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The discount and clothes are pretty good. You only get the good discount on 5 pieces per season though.

Cons

Horrible hourly; management; micro managing; misplaced responsibility; no employee appreciation; over worked employees; being talked down to; no incentive for doing over and beyond your expectation, but definitely penalties if you don't; senior employees are treated and paid like new employees; no trust; attitude is given when you ask to go on a 10min break or lunch break; favoritism is ramped; misplaced aggression from management; job threatening is constantly spewed by management... I could go on!

Advice to Management

Grow up and take responsibility for your store and don't all the blame and pressure on your under paid and over worker employees.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Theory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people were very interesting to learn from.

Cons

They treated you like you didn't matter. You didn't get paid fair- although I've heard they have changed the pay due to lawsuits.

Advice to Management

Pay your interns and remember they are people too.

"Horrible company with even worse management"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Absolutely Nothing comes to mind...

Cons

Horrible management
    Dead end
    Mediocre pay
    Worst HR staff I've ever encountered
    Worst payroll staff I've ever encountered
    Condescending managers, favoritism, the list goes on and on...

Advice to Management

With managers who actually treat people with dignity and respect this would be a slightly better place to work. It's pretty hard to work at your best for someone who treats you like crap unless you brown nose your way into their good graces...

6. "Key Holder"

I worked at Theory full-time

Pros

Great clothing discount ( 62.5)

Cons

Ever changing and stifling wardrobe guidelines and requirements. Low pay scale. No formalized clientelling book or process. Job expectations conflict strongly with culture and values. Aggregate Personal budgets of store associates exceeds the store's projected annual budget. Store layout makes floor coverage impossible so there are often too many associates on duty for the amount of business on any given day. The summery of which creates a lot of infighting, hostility and general catty behavior.

"Not at the risk of your sanity"

I worked at Theory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is really great, good benefits, clothing allowance to rep the brand, luxury environment/clientele, that is about it

Cons

No work/life balance WHATSOEVER
    Overworked/underpaid
    Highly unappreciative of employees who show passion and true desire to see business succeed
    Upper management created hostile work environment for employees

Advice to Management

Learn to VALUE your employees. Unless you give motivated employees something to believe in, they will motivate themselves to find a new job and you'll be stuck with whoever's left.

"In Theory, should have been a good place to work."

Former Employee - Keyholder in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Keyholder in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Theory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great clothing discount and my team at the store was very nice. The store hours were great for retail.

Cons

For being a big company backed by an even bigger parent company, Theory is highly disorganized and lacks in communication & effectiveness. Paraded around by cheerleading figure-heads, the company prioritizes a dollar sign over just about everything else. Be prepared to have little to work with (staff, support, product) yet have the highest expectations. Hard work is not recognized and you will only be promoted in times of desperation. Also, there is a lot of repetitive reporting, based on other reports that have already been published.

Advice to Management

Properly address needs of a business and at the bare minimum, have a plan. Replenish size runs for best-selling and new product (basic). Strengthen communication between departments to ensure a smooth business flow. Ensure employees get legally-obligated lunch & 15 minute breaks.

"North Korea would have been a better choice... avoid this sinking ship."

I worked at Theory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great clothing discount (62%) and allowance.

Cons

This place is an absolute mess, I was so excited to start working there because of the name and clothes... until I actually started work. I was based out of their corporate offices in the Meatpacking District and I have never worked with a more juvenile group of people. A lot of backstabbing, lies, and obvious favoritism. The CEO Andrew Rosen needs to step down as he has no idea what direction he wants his brand to be. Clothes are severely overpriced with lack of quality, everything made in china, constant complaints from costumers about fit and clothes falling apart. Ridiculous turnaround, massive layoffs, everyone in fear of losing their job, negative work environment, and one of the worst HR departments I've ever seen. Horrible management as everyone has an opinion and things change so rapidly that it causes mass confusion within retail stores.

Advice to Management

My advice would make no difference.

"This place is quite possibly the worst place you could ever work."

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Theory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits if you can get them, discount was ok, although they still make a bunch of money off the employees representing their brand with their overpriced clothing that's made cheaply in China.

Cons

I could go on forever, but you could just read the other reviews and you'd have a pretty good idea of what it's like to work at theory (unless it says "Best Job Ever" no one in the entire company would ever say that. Seriously?). The biggest problem is they do not know what they are doing. Don't get me wrong, everyone is professional and qualified - but the right doesn't talk to the left. I wouldn't work here again and I wouldn't recommend anyone else for a job at theory.

Advice to Management

Andrew, your retail side is a mess, stick to wholesale.