Theranos Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Theranos Founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes
Elizabeth Holmes

Pros
  • Free food - 3 times a day for whole week (in 15 reviews)

• They provide breakfast, lunch and dinner but you are expected to work very late (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You won't cut it here if you want to get away with doing the bare minimum, you have to be willing to work hard and work long hours (in 11 reviews)

• work/life balance very skewed towards work (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Theranos as a workplace"

Pros

I have been working for Theranos for awhile now and I am still as committed and excited about the company and my job as I was on day one. Everyday brings new challenges, and you are able to approach these challenges with autonomy and creativity. You are able to work with and lean on some of the smartest people in the world. You will not find a more smart, dedicated, motivated, and supportive cast of employees anywhere else. Knowing that we have top talent in every vertical reinforces my pride and confidence in Theranos.

Cons

Not a con, more of a note -

It is a start up environment, which means that it is very fast and dynamic. It calls for a lot of hard work and creativity. Theranos is not for someone who is set in his or her ways, or for someone who is simply looking for a 9-5.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay focused on what we do best - innovation, R&D, and service.

2. "Life At Theranos"

I have been working at Theranos full-time

Pros

Innovative technology; Contribute immensely; Learn from smart co workers;

Cons

No Work Life Balance; Intense work environment;

Advice to Management

Provide better communication to all;

"Gaslight Syndrome"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Theranos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The weather is mild in Palo Alto. The new building is in a nice area to take walks and bird watch.

Cons

The first day on the job you start to become a victim of gaslighting.
    The three phases of gaslighting and work life at Theranos.

The Idealization Stage: In the beginning of the relationship the narcissist showers the victim with attention, they are loving, charming, flirtatious, energetic, exciting, and great fun to be with. They appear to be so happy and interested in the relationship, and the unsuspecting victim enjoys every moment with their new charismatic partner. They love how the narcissist is so beautifully intense and how they get drunk on life, and they too want to drink this elixir with them. Intense bonding begins for the victim, and innocently, they also believe that the partner feels the same way about them, that the relationship is reciprocal, but this is the narcissist’s biggest deception.

The Devaluation Stage: Almost overnight the narcissist becomes decisively cold and uncaring. The victim’s falls from grace is a hard one, they cannot seem to do anything right anymore; the narcissists loving words turn to criticism, everything the victim tries ends in a negative effect, and they find themselves devalued at every turn. Totally confused, the victim has no idea what is happening, and they become increasingly stressed, unhappy and depressed with the situation. The roller-coaster relationship leaves the victim in a state of constant chaos, as if always “walking on eggshells”. All their energy is directed at defending themselves, so the narcissist is not getting the positive attention that they crave; this is likely to be the time when the narcissist starts to look for a fresh provider of narcissistic supply.

The Discarding Phase: Once this happens, the narcissist ardor for the game has dampened, in their eyes they have already won the contest, and the fun is over. By this time, the narcissist is totally indifferent to any needs or wishes that the victim may have, in effect they no longer exist in their mind. Not so for the victim, they are left confused and raw with emotion, and are eager to find solutions in order to “fix” the dying relationship. However, the narcissist resists all attempts to rescue the relationship, they will bully with silence, or if there is any kind of response, it will be brutally cold. In effect, the victim has become “worthlessly inferior” to them; they know they have drained the victim dry, that they have now outlived their usefulness, and now it is time for the narcissist to move on to the next source of supply.

Advice to Management

You should never work for a CEO that acted like an adult as a child. Now as an adult acts like a child.

"Are there any adults in the room?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation
    A lot of very smart and driven and kind people, thrown into a smelly swamp

Cons

Are there any adults in the room? There is zero direction or structure, the quality and regulatory systems and knowledge and compliance thereof is almost nil. SCARY. There is no communication or transparency even within the company, silo mentality -- in a company whose purpose is to PROVIDE INFORMATION to its clients and patients (I guess employees are not included.) It is like eighth-graders running around in a sandbox to design medical devices, and having petty and political cliques.

Management is utterly ineffective, and those individuals who step forward to do things right, and do things at all, get no where.

Elizabeth Holmes should have stepped aside to let someone capable run her company long ago, and it may have survived. But she has too much ego and Elizabeth Inc. will go down in a sputtering flame, at the expense of many brilliant and underappreciated and directionless employees that she doesn't give a damn about. It is a FRAUD, to investors, to the public and patients, and deeply to employees. I don't expect it will be here a year from now and I will not be on that sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Make it a graceful and planned shut down with respect to all who have supported you, rather than the last ones standing come to work to find the doors chained and locked.
    Because you really care about people and taking care of them, company mission, right?

"What a wild ride"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. The mission drove me to Theranos, but it's the people I work with day in and day out that keep me motivated.

Cons

The utter lack of transparency is inexcusable. The inability to execute project plans and non-existent ownership of failures. Low company morale. The list can go on and on.

Advice to Management

Can a canoe sinking in the middle of an ocean without a paddle or inkling of hope really recover?

"All Senior Executives are Horrible"

I worked at Theranos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free catered meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
    Pretty HQ

Cons

Management is very secretive and the whole company isn't cohesive as a unit .
    Company cares a lot more about public opinion than actually improving product or taking care of patients.
    No 401(k) match

Advice to Management

Admit to your mistakes and apologize. Be more transparent in how you will change and improve the company.

"Scam, and poor management since the beginning"

Former Employee - Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Theranos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

See what other reviews say: free food, pay check, great people.

Cons

1. Poor decision making for the company since DAY ONE.
    2. 16 years into the history of Theranos, with ZERO product on the market, back to point number one.
    3. No revenue = no money to sustain the company.
    4. Over-hyped before the company was ready to come out, fooling investors and consumers, and giving employees false hopes to work on "revolutionary technology".
    5. Adding bunch of old technologies in one box is not revolutionary.
    6. Expanding the company too much without vision! Two rounds of mass lay off won't save the company.
    7. Getting into clinical testing industry without proper regulatory knowledge, hence the FDA and CMS sanction.
    8. Too many law suits from investors and patients. At risk of being bankrupt.
    9. The hope of getting future investors to burn their money for Theranos is slim.

Advice to Management

EAH would lie without a blink of her eyes, it's almost scary. Stop lying and being so fake. Honestly, I have no hope nor faith in this company at all.

"Medical transcriptionist"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Theranos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, great coworkers, great managers

Cons

Was laid-off, management not in best of shape

Advice to Management

Learn how to deal with media.and press regarding mistakes in testing blood the wrong way

"Huge Let Down and Disappointment"

Pros

A lot of investors put money into her company and she was able to hire a lot of talented and gifted people. The salary was higher than the market average and the free meals were the only thing keeping people in the building than to deal with the traffics going home.

Cons

300 plus employees sent home in one day. I was sad to see people leaving and crying on the way out. It's such a shame. It was hard for me to see a guy walk out of the building with the box of his belongings...that was one of the hardest thing I have seen. It was almost like a bad movie... I saw a lot of frustrations and tears. Whats even more messed up, some people knew this was gonna come down but didn't warned others that they were going to lose their jobs. Maybe it was because of the damn contract we signed stating we can't recruit our colleagues if we leave. Remember the name Theranos like "There she blows". We can call this story a unicorn gone Titanic.

Advice to Management

You guys are so fake. I can't believe you lied to everyone by not telling the truth. I guess money talks right? Its clear you guys were part of the scam.

11. "Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avondale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avondale, AZ

I worked at Theranos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They found the right individuals for the right positions.
    Free food.
    Great company parties.
    Good pay, good PTO.

Cons

Hmm.. where to start? To much control with every move not allowing people to standout.

Advice to Management

Hopefully with the reaction of what's happened to the company there will be some positive changes in the future. I wish them well..