Theranos Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

1.6
Theranos Founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes
Elizabeth Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay, environment, free food, phones and computers (in 19 reviews)

• They provide breakfast, lunch and dinner but you are expected to work very late (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, there is not much work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• work/life balance very skewed towards work (in 4 reviews)

"Best company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Scientist
    Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at Theranos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don't listen to others since they might just haters. I've been working for the company for a while and I can say it's the best company I have ever worked for. I've worked for big pharma and medical device companies before and Theranos environment is better than those of 100,000+ companies by a mile. Theranos valued their employees and treated them so nice. They cared about their employees not like other big companies that tend to cut down benefits over time, not Theranos.

Cons

Since the company is still new, few areas can be improved but they will get there some time later.

"Scam, and poor management since the beginning"

Former Employee - Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Theranos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

See what other reviews say: free food, pay check, great people.

Cons

1. Poor decision making for the company since DAY ONE.
    2. 16 years into the history of Theranos, with ZERO product on the market, back to point number one.
    3. No revenue = no money to sustain the company.
    4. Over-hyped before the company was ready to come out, fooling investors and consumers, and giving employees false hopes to work on "revolutionary technology".
    5. Adding bunch of old technologies in one box is not revolutionary.
    6. Expanding the company too much without vision! Two rounds of mass lay off won't save the company.
    7. Getting into clinical testing industry without proper regulatory knowledge, hence the FDA and CMS sanction.
    8. Too many law suits from investors and patients. At risk of being bankrupt.
    9. The hope of getting future investors to burn their money for Theranos is slim.

Advice to Management

EAH would lie without a blink of her eyes, it's almost scary. Stop lying and being so fake. Honestly, I have no hope nor faith in this company at all.

"What a wild ride"

I have been working at Theranos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. The mission drove me to Theranos, but it's the people I work with day in and day out that keep me motivated.

Cons

The utter lack of transparency is inexcusable. The inability to execute project plans and non-existent ownership of failures. Low company morale. The list can go on and on.

Advice to Management

Can a canoe sinking in the middle of an ocean without a paddle or inkling of hope really recover?

"False hopes and major disappointment"

I have been working at Theranos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-There are some really smart and talented people, however they are leaving the company one by one.
    -Free snacks and food even though the selections are mostly unhealthy.
    -Good PTO compared to industry.

Cons

-The employee motivation is close to zero due to many recent developments and negative media coverage, some major examples are:
            -CMS has banned the CEO & COO to operate clinical labs for 2 years.
            -The company is sued by more than a dozen patients for inaccurate test results and false advertising.
            -Walgreens terminated its partnership to operate wellness centers with the company.
            -The company is under investigation by FBI, SEC and DOJ.
            -The company appealed CMS decision to ban operating the labs instead of shutting them off quietly and focusing on R&D. Meanwhile months have passed with labs open but not running, so a lot of time and money was wasted.
            -The company made a presentation in August at AACC about our new miniLab platform, unfortunately everyone was skeptical and underwhelmed about it.
            -In the same August AACC meeting the company announced our Zika test and application for FDA Emergency Use Authorization. After FDA inspection and findings about deficient patient safeguarding practices the company withdrew its application. It was a major blow to employee trust and motivation.
            -The company eventually decided to close all of its clinical lab operations and laid off more than 40% of its employees. However, they also laid off people from operations, manufacturing and R&D which is the core of the company business now.
            -A major investor sued the company to get back the $96 million they invested in 2014.

-We now all fear that the company may become financially unstable anytime since they have to make a payment for CMS sanctions ($10,000 per day per deficiency and there were a handful of deficiencies, so do the calculation yourself and see). In addition they may have to settle with the investor that sued the company for $96 million plus damages.
    -The direction of the company and the projects change often. Recently, we have spent two months just sitting and waiting for the new plans.
    -Many people just come to work to fill their hours and leave without doing anything.
    -Many projects are halted suddenly without any explanation after spending so much time and money.
    -It is as if the company has no real goal to develop a product but rather to distract and gain time.
    -If there is a negative development or a major blow it is presented as a positive development for the company during the meetings.
    -Favoritism is rampant and it is hurting the company.
    -People are promoted based on their connections, not based on their merit. I think it is the main reason the company is sinking.
    -Everyone I know is looking a way to get out and leave the company especially after the recent layoffs. I knew some of those people who were laid off. They were very hard-working, skilled colleagues working also in R&D. It is a very big loss for the company, too bad they were not valued.
    -It all causes a toxic environment where we can be the next ones to be laid off. We are left with no hopes for the future.
    -We all feel deceived and fooled like the investors who trusted the vision of the company.

Advice to Management

-Value your hard working, productive employees.
    -Do not let any favoritism to take place.
    -Promote your employees based on merit.

"House of Cards comes crashing down"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Theranos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A pay check that clears the bank. A front row seat and education how to adulterate documents and strategy! Working on my CV on company tine...

Cons

Being miserable ever day. Being treated like a child and watching unqualified, egotistical managers make bad decisions! Management is untrustworthy...

Advice to Management

Close the doors and fire Lizzy...

"Happy with this company and this job."

Current Employee - Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission driven company and the work environment reflects this in all respects. There is an energy about--interactions with every individual that you work with are focused, productive and friendly.
    The overall caliber of individuals is better than any other place I have worked at. Its probably due to their strict hiring policies.
    The work is very interesting. There is an openness that allows everyone to express their thoughts and ideas, and have a real impact on the product.

Cons

--food is free, but not always healthy and tasty. I think they should spend more on food or use the in-house kitchen to cook better and healthier food.
    --things are fast moving and sometimes there are rapid changes of plans. the middle managers should do a better job of explaining the rationale behind such changes to individuals in their teams.

Advice to Management

You are doing a good job. Stay in better touch with the employees. I think most people do feel appreciated but there are also some that are disgruntled and unhappy for other reasons. I see these people spreading negative energy. You should seek them and try and fix the problem.

"What's more important, HR or PR?"

Former Employee - Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Theranos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ideas of making blood tests cheaper, more accessible, and with pricing transparency are commendable.

Cons

Theranos is like a religious sect - some people are blindly devoted whereas others think it's all a bit crazy. Management is extremely centralized with clear elements of nepotism. Planning is short sighted, and when things go wrong the question is not "what did we learn from it" but rather "who gets thrown under the bus for it". People are expected to work long hours, and if they get a promotion they're expected to be there all the time. They're secretive to a fault, and are know to throw lawyers at anyone who they consider a threat. Attrition has always been high for these reasons.

Just reading through the Glassdoor reviews will give you an idea what it's like working there. You will see it's very polarized. There are a lot of negative reviews with experiences I can relate to, and then there are the super positive ones. I'm pretty sure some of the employees are told to write fake positive reviews to outweigh all the negative experiences people have had at the company. The positive ones are all on the same variation of pros (we're changing the world) and cons (if you can't handle the fast pace of a world changing environment, this is not for you). So if you're considering working here, first ask yourself if you'd want to work for a company that would rather focus on PR and covering up criticism, rather than focus on improving the work environment and encouraging innovation.

Advice to Management

There are some good scientist at the company, delegate some management responsibility to them. Trust your employees.

"on a mission"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos (More than 10 years)

Pros

opportunity to change the world

Cons

work/life balance very skewed towards work

Advice to Management

increase level of communication with each other. be honest with executive leadership about ability to accomplish goals within specified timeframes. if serious about career advancement, develop personnel, teach them, help them grow.

"Very poor unprofessional managemrnt"

I have been working at Theranos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not a lot to really say other than a pay check. Mu co workers are great, but here only because they need their job.

Cons

No priorities. No decisions. No clear communication of where we are going. HR department is a mess. No support to hire open requisitions / resources.

Advice to Management

BOD needs to replace all founders and executive management!

"Disorganized and unreasonable management"

Former Employee - Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Theranos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salaries are above market, and some of the work is directed toward interesting areas.
    The location is extremely convenient if you live in or around Palo Alto.

Cons

The work environment is characterized by a culture of fear, and management seems to actively foster this. Management is unfocused and there is no clearly articulated strategy. Demands are frequently unreasonable and expectations are often difficult to discern.

The management is paranoid about disclosures and external discussions -- read the other reviews posted on this site carefully because many appear to be written by management and posted within a span of days and recycling the same points.

Advice to Management

Focus on a strategy and then get out of the way. Also, fear and discomfort do not motivate quality people.