Theranos Senior Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

1.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Theranos Founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes
Elizabeth Holmes

Pros
  • Pay, environment, free food, phones and computers (in 17 reviews)

• They provide breakfast, lunch and dinner but you are expected to work very late (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, there is not much work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• work/life balance very skewed towards work (in 4 reviews)

"on a mission"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos (More than 10 years)

Pros

opportunity to change the world

Cons

work/life balance very skewed towards work

Advice to Management

increase level of communication with each other. be honest with executive leadership about ability to accomplish goals within specified timeframes. if serious about career advancement, develop personnel, teach them, help them grow.

"What a wild ride"

I have been working at Theranos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. The mission drove me to Theranos, but it's the people I work with day in and day out that keep me motivated.

Cons

The utter lack of transparency is inexcusable. The inability to execute project plans and non-existent ownership of failures. Low company morale. The list can go on and on.

Advice to Management

Can a canoe sinking in the middle of an ocean without a paddle or inkling of hope really recover?

"False hopes and major disappointment"

I have been working at Theranos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-There are some really smart and talented people, however they are leaving the company one by one.
    -Free snacks and food even though the selections are mostly unhealthy.
    -Good PTO compared to industry.

Cons

-The employee motivation is close to zero due to many recent developments and negative media coverage, some major examples are:
            -CMS has banned the CEO & COO to operate clinical labs for 2 years.
            -The company is sued by more than a dozen patients for inaccurate test results and false advertising.
            -Walgreens terminated its partnership to operate wellness centers with the company.
            -The company is under investigation by FBI, SEC and DOJ.
            -The company appealed CMS decision to ban operating the labs instead of shutting them off quietly and focusing on R&D. Meanwhile months have passed with labs open but not running, so a lot of time and money was wasted.
            -The company made a presentation in August at AACC about our new miniLab platform, unfortunately everyone was skeptical and underwhelmed about it.
            -In the same August AACC meeting the company announced our Zika test and application for FDA Emergency Use Authorization. After FDA inspection and findings about deficient patient safeguarding practices the company withdrew its application. It was a major blow to employee trust and motivation.
            -The company eventually decided to close all of its clinical lab operations and laid off more than 40% of its employees. However, they also laid off people from operations, manufacturing and R&D which is the core of the company business now.
            -A major investor sued the company to get back the $96 million they invested in 2014.

-We now all fear that the company may become financially unstable anytime since they have to make a payment for CMS sanctions ($10,000 per day per deficiency and there were a handful of deficiencies, so do the calculation yourself and see). In addition they may have to settle with the investor that sued the company for $96 million plus damages.
    -The direction of the company and the projects change often. Recently, we have spent two months just sitting and waiting for the new plans.
    -Many people just come to work to fill their hours and leave without doing anything.
    -Many projects are halted suddenly without any explanation after spending so much time and money.
    -It is as if the company has no real goal to develop a product but rather to distract and gain time.
    -If there is a negative development or a major blow it is presented as a positive development for the company during the meetings.
    -Favoritism is rampant and it is hurting the company.
    -People are promoted based on their connections, not based on their merit. I think it is the main reason the company is sinking.
    -Everyone I know is looking a way to get out and leave the company especially after the recent layoffs. I knew some of those people who were laid off. They were very hard-working, skilled colleagues working also in R&D. It is a very big loss for the company, too bad they were not valued.
    -It all causes a toxic environment where we can be the next ones to be laid off. We are left with no hopes for the future.
    -We all feel deceived and fooled like the investors who trusted the vision of the company.

Advice to Management

-Value your hard working, productive employees.
    -Do not let any favoritism to take place.
    -Promote your employees based on merit.

"House of Cards comes crashing down"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Theranos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A pay check that clears the bank. A front row seat and education how to adulterate documents and strategy! Working on my CV on company tine...

Cons

Being miserable ever day. Being treated like a child and watching unqualified, egotistical managers make bad decisions! Management is untrustworthy...

Advice to Management

Close the doors and fire Lizzy...

"Very poor unprofessional managemrnt"

I have been working at Theranos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not a lot to really say other than a pay check. Mu co workers are great, but here only because they need their job.

Cons

No priorities. No decisions. No clear communication of where we are going. HR department is a mess. No support to hire open requisitions / resources.

Advice to Management

BOD needs to replace all founders and executive management!