Theranos "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

Theranos Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Apr 21, 2019

2.8
Theranos Chief Executive Officer David Taylor
David Taylor
Pros
  • "Pay, environment, free food, phones and computers(in 18 reviews)

• "Great colleagues, free meals, decent benefits(in 11 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews

"The Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Theranos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging work and great development, especially if you're a motivated self-starter. Great people, the employees here are top notch, and actually like each other. Management and employees actually like each other. Being part of a revolution in an industry in dire need of improvement. Almost nobody leaves, I've never seen a group that likes their job so much.

Cons

All of these are what you should expect at a startup- long hours, constant shuffle in priorities, some big egos.

Advice to Management

Keep treating employees the way you do and I think your retention will stay where it is (which is amazing). You have a loyal group of employees that really believe in what you're doing, and want to help however possible, most aren't paranoid about the unfair media twists and bogus witch hunt. Make development and career progression a priority, you've hired a group of high performers that are always looking towards... the next step. Minimize the secrecy, we understand the strategy, but it is being used against the company wherever possible.

Theranos2016-02-11

"Horrible"

I worked at Theranos full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have no pros. Working here was awful.

Cons

Horrible CEO No transparency. Long hours No work life balance

Theranos2019-04-21

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Theranos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food, flexibility, nice people and enviroment

Cons

Unstable leadership, long hours, and uncertain future

Theranos2017-08-18

"company culture"

I have been working at Theranos full-time

Pros

Free food, great colleagues, great location

Cons

Management and communication issues. Long hours

Theranos2017-02-28

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Theranos full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

long hours, there is not much work life balance

Theranos2016-09-28

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Theranos full-time

Pros

Theranos is not only an incredible place to work, but everyday I become more inspired by Elizabeth and my co-workers. I am so fortunate and lucky to be apart of such an amazing team and company that is changing the world. Great co workers, great culture, great atmosphere. I love working here and plan to stay for a long time.

Cons

With every start up there are hiccups, but management and the team handles every obstacle fantastically. Additionally, it can be hard work and sometimes long hours but if you love what you do like me and a lot of the team, it doesn't feel like work. This is not a job you do your minimum hours and then leave, people care about being here. Those who write negative reviews were not here for the right reasons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing:)

Theranos2015-12-19

"Exciting Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Theranos full-time for more than a year

Pros

being part of a team that is going to change health care great coworkers opportunity to do more

Cons

at times it can be long hours

Advice to Management

continue to recognize the best in your team and promote within

Theranos2015-04-29

"What's more important, HR or PR?"

Former Employee - Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Theranos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The ideas of making blood tests cheaper, more accessible, and with pricing transparency are commendable.

Cons

Theranos is like a religious sect - some people are blindly devoted whereas others think it's all a bit crazy. Management is extremely centralized with clear elements of nepotism. Planning is short sighted, and when things go wrong the question is not "what did we learn from it" but rather "who gets thrown under the bus for it". People are expected to work long hours, and if they get a promotion they're expected to... be there all the time. They're secretive to a fault, and are know to throw lawyers at anyone who they consider a threat. Attrition has always been high for these reasons. Just reading through the Glassdoor reviews will give you an idea what it's like working there. You will see it's very polarized. There are a lot of negative reviews with experiences I can relate to, and then there are the super positive ones. I'm pretty sure some of the employees are told to write fake positive reviews to outweigh all the negative experiences people have had at the company. The positive ones are all on the same variation of pros (we're changing the world) and cons (if you can't handle the fast pace of a world changing environment, this is not for you). So if you're considering working here, first ask yourself if you'd want to work for a company that would rather focus on PR and covering up criticism, rather than focus on improving the work environment and encouraging innovation.

Advice to Management

There are some good scientist at the company, delegate some management responsibility to them. Trust your employees.

Theranos2015-10-19

"Proud to be a part of something great."

I have been working at Theranos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at this company for a few years, this is definitely a fast-paced environment. The culture encourages everyone to work toward the same goals. Once we work hard to prove ourselves, management puts a lot of trusts on those who deserve it and recognizes our efforts with good compensation and flexibilities. Be prepared to work hard if you want to work for a successful company and be successful in your career.... Long hours and stress? Sure. But what I had learned from these experience is so very rewarding. We get to work with smart and friendly people and be a part of something great.

Cons

I wouldn't necessarily call these downsides but we do have to prepare to work long hours, deal with tasks that we had never dealt with before, and maintain a flexible schedule outside of works sometimes in order to support the company. This is not a place where we can work just to get by the days. This requires strong commitment.

Advice to Management

Some kids friendly events such as company picnics, Halloween parties for kids, work day with kids etc will be really welcome. Some small team building events will be great too.

Theranos2015-04-01

"I'd be bored if I worked any where else."

Customer Support

I have been working at Theranos for more than a year

Pros

I have the opportunity to hear firsthand how we're actively changing the lives of our patients. It's rewarding to know that we're genuinely revolutionizing the healthcare field and impacting people's lives in a very real way. The people that work here make Theranos what it is. Everyone's energy and dedication to our goal is infectious and the main reason that I come to work every day. I'm surrounded by incredibly... talented people from diverse backgrounds and and get to learn new things every day.

Cons

You won't cut it here if you want to get away with doing the bare minimum, you have to be willing to work hard and work long hours. Anyone that has listed the workload as a con is probably used to skating by and doing as little as possible, but that's not how things work here. I don't know why anyone would complain about working at Theranos except to say that haters gonna hate.

Advice to Management

Continue to show appreciation for people that work tirelessly for you and believe in your mission.

Theranos2015-04-07