Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews in Fremont, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper

Pros
Cons
  • IT staff level has never been adequate so work life balance is skewed (in 93 reviews)

• Upper management seems to make decisions that are cost saving initiatives, but they don't seem to take into account the impact on the customer (in 56 reviews)

1. "Learn as you go"

Current Contractor - Labeling Specialist in Fremont, CA
    Current Contractor - Labeling Specialist in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are impressive; Salary is around average.

Cons

Feels a lot like you're learning as you go.
    Also over-complicated feeling reoccurs.

Advice to Management

You don't have to reinvent the Wheel.

2. "Fremont, CA Site"

Current Employee - R&D in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - R&D in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good safety record and ergonomic support, good medical benefits, good 401k plan.

Cons

Very poor morale and communication throughout company, lots of manufacturing problems that lead to poor quality products. The basic values at this company are to make business decisions that compromise creating quality products. This has led to product recalls, an FDA citation, and problems with OEM customers.

Advice to Management

Please solve the communication and quality problems at this site. I would like to be proud of the products I help to create.

3. "Great place to start career"

Current Contractor - Associate Chemist in Fremont, CA
    Current Contractor - Associate Chemist in Fremont, CA

Pros

Lots of opportunities
    great people!

Cons

gets too busy at times
    hard to balance work and life
    career growth might be quite slow

5. "Minorities Beware"

Former Employee - Manager in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Fremont, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

I am not sure if I can be say anything positive based on what I experienced working here.

Cons

If you are a person of color and non-white, be very careful considering working at this company. There is no recourse and all the so called orientation training and employee hotline are a sham. When the time comes you are on your own

Advice to Management

No checks and balances in place to address abuse of power.

"Every Thermo Fisher Site is Different"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall, the company is a powerhouse. You will be a part of a monopoly-type company that will continue to grow while absorbing it's smaller competitors. Careers can be built here, and the positions are long term and safe.

Cons

As stated in the title, every Thermo Fisher Site is operated independently. My review is for my specific site in Fremont, California. Here at this site, the company grew too fast and the business model and technology could not keep up with the growth. Since the site is operating at a pre-historic pace, while trying to keep up with the industry expectations, this results in long stressful hours and absolutely no work/life balance. To top it off, the salaries do not compete with the current market, but i do hear that management is trying to adjust accordingly based off the current market.

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to monopolize the market and force your employees to keep up with growth we do not have the tools and resources for, let's stabilize what we are currently producing and focus on providing a higher quality level of service while delivering to the customer 100% on-time.

7. "Scientist II"

Current Employee - Scientist II (Contractor) in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist II (Contractor) in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good top management.

Cons

Low pay-scale. Not a good place for contractors.

8. "QC Scientist/Engineer"

Current Employee - Quality Control Scientist/Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Control Scientist/Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. The Current QC Supervisors are awesome!

Cons

The pay could be better. Have to work more than 8 hours to

The pay could be better.

Feb 21, 2017 – Content Specialist

Thank you for leaving this review! We appreciate your feedback and take the time to read our comments.

"Apply if desperate for a job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

Beautiful building, newer employees are the only "nice ones".

Cons

The Fremont Site has the worst morale, unhappy/disgruntled people. This is the worst company I've worked for. There has been lots of turnover in Sr. Leadership, Maybe the new leadership will help that the morale of this site. It's going to take fresh innovative blood to turn this place around. Attrition rate is 14%!! Employees leaving weekly.
    There is NO work life balance. Management DOES NOT support flexibility if you have a family/children.
    HR is a joke, they have no backbone to take care of issues, just set up a bunch of meetings, take notes and they get filed. This site allows all level of employees: individual contributors, managers etc to have the worst attitudes, treat people however they want with no repercussion.

Advice to Management

Educate your selves from Top Fortune companies, what keeps employees happy? Get rid of the terrible employees that are written up, have a back bone. Do what it takes so that all employees are practicing the 4i values

Feb 21, 2017 – Content Specialist

Thanks for your feedback. We are taking steps to improve work life balance. In fact, we recently won an award which was featured in Forbes highlighting our work flexibility program. We continue to ... More

10. "Safety Specialist"

Former Employee - Safety Specialist in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Safety Specialist in Fremont, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific (More than a year)

Pros

great coworkers, five day week

Cons

terrible management, no chance of advancement. worked as contract employee for 18 months, then did not hire me when contract expired. then they had me train the new guy.

Advice to Management

when someone tells you they've been exposed to chemicals, have an EHS professional conduct air monitoring.

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - R&D Scientist in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - R&D Scientist in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

Good work life balance. People very nice

Cons

People very old fashioned and they are scared of any changes. Intimidated by people who are knowledgeable.

Advice to Management

The management do not know what to do and where to go. Lack of leadership and knowledge. Leaders lack skills to lead the company.

Feb 21, 2017 – Content Specialist

We appreciate the time you have taken to respond to this review. We take your comments very seriously. At Thermo Fisher Scientific, we pride ourselves in our ability to develop leaders. Our ... More

Showing 32 of 1,622 reviews