Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews in Lenexa, KS | Glassdoor

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They have always had an issue with work life balance (in 102 reviews)

• Being a public traded company, the bottom line is tantamount to upper management who get serious monies for their efforts (in 59 reviews)

1. "Could be a great place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

Pros

Prestigious Company, Lots of opportunities to gain experience

Cons

Always short staffed, more stressful than it needs to be, this site seems low on the priority list compared to the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep employees employed

"Poor, Unprofessional Management"

Former Employee - Media Production Operator in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Media Production Operator in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Schedule: M-T 6:00 AM-4:30PM. Nice 3 day weekend. Extremely Easy work for machine operator/packaging. Small bonuses here and there.

Cons

Thought this job would be a great way to start a career. Wow, was I deceived. If you are a Media Production Operator, have fun dealing with the favoritism and sucking up, not to mention the rude and inconsiderate attitude by fellow employees. Management is so uncoordinated and disorganized. The environment I worked in was a complete joke. My position was made for people who wanted to go nowhere in life, or they had no other option due to being a foreigner or having familial obligations, or maybe a combination of both. Unprofessionalism and favoritism were the worst parts to me. And don't get me started on how they love taking advantage of hard working people. I was working on a machine that really needed to be ran by two people, and required more physical energy in one hour than other people in my department put in in their 10 hour shifts. Did management care? I'll leave that up to the imagination. My advice would be to stay away from this place. I got direct hired, however most people must go through a temporary hiring service before they can become full time employees. And who decides when they are worthy? You guessed it: Supervisors. I've seen hard working temporary people take up to 9-12 months to get hired on FT. I've also seen people who love to be buddy buddies with the leads and Supervisors get hired within the minimum time of 3 months. Work here at your own risk, I could go on and on, but this is just the very tip of the iceberg.

Advice to Management

Don't bring your misery and depression to the workplace, leave that at home. And especially don't take it out on your employees who actually think and stand up for themselves.

"Media machine oparator"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule is nice you have 3 days off Fridays ,Saturdays, and Sunday's. 10 hours shift good benefits

Cons

Horrible management, they don't care about you they only care about the company , is not important if people almost pass out in the floor, they don't even want to call the ambulance, you have to finish the ridiculous enormous amount of work they give you on time and then help others to finish and run to prepare old yours materials for next day and then fight for finding carts and racks , people they been there for more than you think they own everything... the machines, syringes, pens ,the work forms EVERYTHING... is ridiculous they make you to do a lot of hand capped sometimes you wake up the next day with swollen hands you can't even move you arms and shoulders is very heavy some days you have to do more 240 raks in one day and the machines they have don't even work, washed and prepare your old yours syringes and materials for autoclave and clean and disinfect the room and never-ending.

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Director in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work, lots of good people and good products. Products are aimed at the clinical market, so helping to diagnose disease and keep people healthy. Very fast pace, but keeps it very interesting and never a boring day. In general, corporate management is good and they do try to take care of their employees.

Cons

There are some in management who are only out for themselves, but this is everywhere. In the Microbiology division, main problem is UK management of the US division. They are clueless in how to manage their own division, let alone how they should manage an American division which operates in a health system very different than that found in the UK and Europe. The management team is often not around for more than a year or two or three at the most. Sometimes they move up within Thermo Fisher, but often they move out, sometime on their own volition, but often pushed out.

Advice to Management

It's time for the UK experiment to end for the MBD division, put an American in charge. Rely less on rigid PPI and more on entrepreneurial spirit.

"Revolving door in Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Important work and great people in the production area. Departments take care of themselves by having pot lucks and holiday gift givings among themselves. This could be a great company but they get in their own way.

Cons

Work/Life balance is difficult. Little notice for overtime which can last months. Want you to perform work with out the proper tools and equipment. Work in an aseptic environment with rusty carts or without racks needed to do your job. Supervisors are unhappy which shows in the way they treat the people. Supposed to have reviews every year which if done are stupid. Management is a revolving door. In the 4+ years I have been here we have had 4 or 5 plant managers each coming out with a new way to do things. But each change gets re changed with the new manager. The end result is no one really gets involved because we know it will change next year. You don't go to HR because they act like you are bothering them. Lastly but not least, the opportunity to advance is horrible. If you work in the production area you have little hope of ever doing anything outside of that area. They do not promote from within, they almost always go outside to fill a job.

Advice to Management

Virtually every Manager/Supervisor from every department I know of has been terminated, demoted, moved around or quit in the last few years. If you want real change figure out what you want and then be consistent in your message. Quit putting band aids on the problems. Give the people on the floor clear direction and the real tools and equipment to do their job. Quit blaming the people for bad product when you give them old, broken, and rusty equipment. Go back to the basics.

6. "lead person"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

learn new job on different s departments

Cons

drive forty miles a day

"Shipping Clerk"

Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Lenexa, KS

Pros

Moving around, scanning, weighting, packaging, order pulling, pallet jacks and etc

Cons

Not knowing when you getting off work

"Terrible Place to Work For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive about this place.

Cons

After notifying the company I was not returning to work, the recruiter called but I did not responded. Soon after, I receive a letter from Thermo Fisher Scientific stating that I was being fired. Thermo Fisher Scientific, I will never allow my family members and friends to work for you, EVER!! I was never notified the hours I was going to work for until the day of orientation and first day of work.
    I resigned due to the following:
    >No breaks if you are behind, a coworker told me usually no brakes were taken during the shift.
    >If you do not finish your work on-time you have to stay until you do.
    >My last day, a member a management threatens to write up all the staff in my area due to a mistake one individual made with the material.
    First off, I did not take a brake the last day I work for this company, “Federal law also requires employers to pay for short breaks an employee is allowed to take during the day. Breaks lasting from five to 20 minutes are considered part of the workday, for which employees must be paid" (NOLO, Law for All). Second, threatening employees for something they did not do is ILLEGAL!! "Employees and supervisors may not threaten or intimidate another employee or engage in unwelcome physical contact of any kind"(Lawyers.com). For this reason, I refuse to work for a place like Thermo Fisher Scientific, this is not a friendly environment to work for. I do not recommend anyone to work for this company.

Advice to Management

You should be careful on who you put in leader ship position. Management is in charge of the company's future and the behavior that was exhibited to me was not only unprofessional but is consider illegal.

9. "Horrible Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Product Performance Technologist in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Product Performance Technologist in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well-known company, other than that there is not much else to say that is positive.

Cons

Poor management
    No room for growth
    No performance reviews
    Favoritism is rampant
    Unprofessional environment

"Just an average company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great go work with. That's mainly the best thing they have going for them.

Cons

Pay is not great. You're treated like a number. Even though sales are great, pay remained very low. Getting anything changed takes a very long time or are told that they don't not have the resources to accomplish the specific task. Products in high backorder. Need more manpower.

Advice to Management

Quit being called to so many meetings and work on bettering your staff

Showing 12 of 1,828 reviews