Thermo Fisher Scientific Product Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper

Pros
Cons
  • IT staff level has never been adequate so work life balance is skewed (in 93 reviews)

• Upper management seems to make decisions that are cost saving initiatives, but they don't seem to take into account the impact on the customer (in 56 reviews)

1. "Opportunities in diverse science company"

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Thermo Fisher Scientific has as solid growth strategy with lots of diverse functional and market based areas. Lots of opportunities if you are self driven and enjoy variety and dynamic environment

Cons

Company re-organizes and readjusts often. Must be able to handle change. With the size of the company on-boarding and mentorship can be very self driven. Make sure you don't get lost in the matrix.

Advice to Management

I think the current direction is solid with more strategic integration of systems and renewed focus on softer elements of employee management and retention. Continue to do what you can to connect the disparate sections of the company that need to be aligned.

2. "Well diversified company"

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great, passionate people
    Stable diversified company
    Global footprint
    Huge customer base
    Quality products

Cons

Risk adverse culture
    Lack of internal innovation
    Fast paced environment makes work/life balance challenging

"Not a great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, great facility, career opportunities.

Cons

Full of incompentent and inexperienced managers.

Advice to Management

I would highly encourage a stronger development program for the leadership program graduates. From my experience, these leaders are naive, inexperienced, low EQ leaders. I worked for an LDP graduate at Thermo in the Waltham office - hands down the worst leader I've ever seen. I'd highly encourage a stronger long term development plan for the LDP graduates. The business needs to monitor their behavior and ability to lead. These LDPs are on average terrible leaders. Should you find yourself working for one, I'd HIGHLY suggest looking for a new job.

"Product Manager manages existing product portfolio and develops new products working in cross functional teams."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are the best - colleagues within the company and researchers we aim to support. Our mission is clear and we have the means to fulfill our mission.

Cons

There is always too much to do and sometimes it is just exhausting. Sometimes we are too ambitious.

Advice to Management

Find some balance. We need to find opportunities to celebrate our successes more often. We work hard, we should play hard also - have some fun to make this one of the most admired companies to work for.

Thermo Fisher Scientific Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Content Specialist

Thanks for your feedback. We encourage our employees to take time to work and “play”. We have recently been featured in Forbes as one of the top 100 companies with flexible work scheduling.

6. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation driven, quality products, inspirational leaders

Cons

reactive to bandwidth absorption, management slow at making decisions, poor work life balance

7. "Great Company -Motivational and Professional"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced and extremely dynamic environment with several opportunities to jump into new learning situations.

Cons

Work life balance is probably the worst of any company I have been with.

Advice to Management

Improve existing IT systems, and invest in better tools for staff. Increase PTO and separate sick days from PTO for up to 30% PTO, or dump the "use it or loose it" -allow accumulation up to a level with buy back.

"so-so company to work for"

Former Employee - Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large international company, plenty of things to do; good volunteer and non-profit donation matching program

Cons

Cross-country, cross-culture and cross-division communication can be very time consuming and frustrating. IT and operation system integration is horrible. Company is cheap to employees, but generous to executives. Depends on the division, some places have high turn-over rate and low morale. Conservative and close minded managers.

Advice to Management

Want to be the most admired company? How about lower the employee turn-over rate, pay less fat bonus to executives and share more profit with employees?

"Not the place for everyone...."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to make positive changes and impact your role/team and department. Got great ideas - they want them. Some flexibility with work hours. Doing a lot of great things for customers (testing/research to save and improve lives)

Cons

Poorly resourced internally is a company practice embedded in the overall culture and will not change. How to make more $ for shareholders with less when you don't have enough to begin with. The IT org and IT systems support is poor (a joke!).

Advice to Management

Pay competitive market wages and look at internal resources spend. Would be nice to have a proper break room and bathroom that doesn't look or smell like a jail.

"Not a bad company but avoid lab consumables business"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great and supportive co-workers that are passionate about our products. Benefits are good and industry salaries are competitive.

Cons

Incompetent leadership (especially at directors level) that is afraid of talented people, likes to cultivate mediocracy, and creates a culture where it's not safe to "speak up". There is no real growth plan for the employees so you can watch your career going down the drain. Leadership inability to prioritize and having a strategic vision is covered by useless processes, X Matrix, etc.

Advice to Management

Bring some common sense and stop cleaving to metrics and processes. They exist to expedite business, not ritualize it. Lead by example; building a culture of excellence and becoming the most admired company starts with leaders.

"Product Management Director"

Former Employee - Product Manager Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager Director in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great people, tons of opportunities, good salaries, established and clear processes, good financial outlook, respectful culture, cross-functional teams, good training programs, teams are empowered to do their jobs

Cons

Too much to do, mediocre benefits, the company is too big, too much innovation by "acquisition". Hierarchical organization, too many layers between the worker bees and senior management

Advice to Management

Provide more funds for internal innovation. Flatten the organization. Pay more attention to benefits, they are not competitive with other big companies. Keep working on developing your people