Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews | Glassdoor

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging with workload (in 101 reviews)

• Being a public traded company, the bottom line is tantamount to upper management who get serious monies for their efforts (in 59 reviews)

1. "staff engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly enviornment, great work culture

Cons

poorly managed processes, benefits are not good

2. "An Example of a Broken Truly Dysfunctional Company"

Former Employee - Staff Research Scientist in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Research Scientist in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

There is no Pros at all, maybe free fruits and good cafeteria

Cons

Don't know where to start, my advice to you is just stay away from this place. The most dysfunctional company I ever worked at. Nothing is in its place and work right. There is no system in place. High turn around with no permanent HR or IT. Toxic culture and Gang-Like, only lazy incompetents fit in this culture.

In R&D you get to do the most boring task on the earth, trying to come up with an idea for an assay and you will continue to work on that for a while like 2 years, then you get scrutinized for example because it doesn't sell as well or there is a better product out there.

Very Very incompetent manager (Directors), who only want to keep their job and a friendly incompetent employees. R&D staff have a very toxic "click culture" who only gets a long with incompetent low motivated employee of their own kind.

No good product is made in Thermo Fisher Scientific. They have people with no experience who are working on things they are just learning about.

No development opportunity is provided to R&D employees. Director constantly on his own pleasure off time (god knows where) and employees are forced to work over time to finish projects on their set deadlines.

You have to work 24/7 to keep up with their non-functional tasks/deadlines and you wont be appreciated at all.

Just do yourself a favor and stay away from this place.

3. "Worst Company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No pros to this site.

Cons

Management is not at all concerned with their employees. People are used and laid off on a regular basis. Management treat each other and employees very rude and unfairly.

4. "Information Technology"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health care & 401k solid

Cons

life work balance is down right horrible -- under staffed - in call in a nightmare -extremely poor upper management -- more of a service providers for other lines of business

Advice to Management

Stick up for your employees-- more vacation -- less weekend work -- actually follow thru with your lip service

5. "poor and disgraceful place to work"

Current Employee - Certified On-Site Technician in Kenilworth, NJ
    Current Employee - Certified On-Site Technician in Kenilworth, NJ

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

holidays, thats it nothing else

Cons

everything on this site is handle by merck. technically speaking, thermofisher's presence does not exist here at all. everything has to go through merck and that is just sad to work for a company who's balls are literally at mercks hands.

i work here now as a site technician and it is the worst job i have ever done in my life. i would not recommend this job to no one in fact, i implore everyone to stay away from this place. it is not worth your time. im begging you please do not work here.

Advice to Management

just shut down and let Merck take over. you do not have what it takes to take care of your employees.

"Horrible isn't a strong enough word"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Other than maybe looking good on a resume, nothing.

Cons

Hostile, violent, segregated. Outbursts of anger and threats of physical violence are common place. HR is utterly worthless, and in regards to verbal threats commonly takes the stance of "those are just words, not actions", as if that makes it acceptable.

Advice to Management

So called "leadership" is the cancer that needs to be eradicated.

"Run if you can!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BIG company - (Expanding very quick by leveraging huge debt. In short term view, things looked really nice, yet the pressure on financial performance is significant. Long term, we will see!)

New building.

Cons

There is no such thing as work-life balance. Laid off constantly, in 2017, there are two runs of laid offs (1/26/2017, 5/23/2017) before end of Q2; while hiring keeping on. Consequently very low morale and no sense of teamwork.. Employees are numbers instead of human being.

The only strategy management takes on is reaction so as to meet "the number." The environment become toxic that focuses on short term actions and cost cutting measures primarily.

Manufacturing driving mindset, yet with very old system and difficult processes.

Advice to Management

No comment.

"Do NOT recommend"

Former Employee - Scientist in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing positive to say about the company

Cons

Worked for the company 12 years. At the end of my service didn't get even a proper goodbye. No potluck,no lunch out with the group,no card , no even a formal announcement in front of everyone! Nothing ! Just silence after 12 years of hard work. Having a Masters Degree, I hasn't been promoted even once. Most likely because I'm an immigrant and this company has a lot of political, or better to say- racist games. 90% of workers are Asians and they promote only their community. Very much factory environment, people with Masters degree make just a little above minimum range.

Advice to Management

Treat all races with respect. Promote people. Bring salaries to the standard level for biotech companies.

"Work load high"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

6 % 401 K match

Cons

For the past 3 years, they have been laying of people at san jose site and increasing the work load on the people left. People are also voluntarily leaving. They encourage work-life balance but they really dont. Not sure what the Management is up to.

"Poor, Unprofessional Management"

Former Employee - Media Production Operator in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Media Production Operator in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Schedule: M-T 6:00 AM-4:30PM. Nice 3 day weekend. Extremely Easy work for machine operator/packaging. Small bonuses here and there.

Cons

Thought this job would be a great way to start a career. Wow, was I deceived. If you are a Media Production Operator, have fun dealing with the favoritism and sucking up, not to mention the rude and inconsiderate attitude by fellow employees. Management is so uncoordinated and disorganized. The environment I worked in was a complete joke. My position was made for people who wanted to go nowhere in life, or they had no other option due to being a foreigner or having familial obligations, or maybe a combination of both. Unprofessionalism and favoritism were the worst parts to me. And don't get me started on how they love taking advantage of hard working people. I was working on a machine that really needed to be ran by two people, and required more physical energy in one hour than other people in my department put in in their 10 hour shifts. Did management care? I'll leave that up to the imagination. My advice would be to stay away from this place. I got direct hired, however most people must go through a temporary hiring service before they can become full time employees. And who decides when they are worthy? You guessed it: Supervisors. I've seen hard working temporary people take up to 9-12 months to get hired on FT. I've also seen people who love to be buddy buddies with the leads and Supervisors get hired within the minimum time of 3 months. Work here at your own risk, I could go on and on, but this is just the very tip of the iceberg.

Advice to Management

Don't bring your misery and depression to the workplace, leave that at home. And especially don't take it out on your employees who actually think and stand up for themselves.

Showing 233 of 1,784 reviews