Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews | Glassdoor

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They have always had an issue with work life balance (in 102 reviews)

• Being a public traded company, the bottom line is tantamount to upper management who get serious monies for their efforts (in 59 reviews)

"Fun before I got hired on permanently"

Current Employee - Material Handler I in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Material Handler I in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is pretty friendly & you can listen to your own music on the floor. Really fast paced atmosphere though

Cons

Management barks orders around, doesn't have clear & open communication with employees, they definitely DO NOT take responsibility for their mistakes & blame the issue on someone beneath them!

Advice to Management

Don't talk to people like their TRASH!

"Great Company, Great Job, Great Benefits, Witchy Boss"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my job, work-life balance, the compensation, facilities, my co-workers, company culture, and the company in general.

Cons

I heard a lot of criticism about my work and performance but little to no praise for it. First example, my manager was out sick for a couple of days. On my initiative, I posted a large note outside her cube to let people know. When my manager came back in, she was flabbergasted that I had done such a thing. Yes, she used the word, flabbergasted. She chewed me out for about 10 minutes. She claims that she told me not to do that before, but I do not remember the conversation. Second example, my manager called my work on an operator manual a failure. Yes, she used the word, failure. She pointed out specifics. I pointed out some things I did correctly in the document, but that did not seem to matter to her. When I asked my manager why I did not receive any compliments from her about my work, she did offer one, but I have not heard another compliment since.

I did not feel that I contributed to the company much. For example, my manager read and provided feedback on everything I wrote including some of my email messages. Although her feedback was valuable and improved the documents, I feel that things might have gone faster if she simply did the work herself. She often complained about how much time she spent redlining my work.

I did not feel that I was allowed to think for myself or take initiative in solving problems. For example, my manager asked me to resolve a conflicted files problem in our software versioning and revision control system. I asked a co-worker to help me, and we spent some time on the phone to resolve it. He seemed happy to help me, and we solved it. Afterwards, my manager told me not to waste his time and that every work-related problem I have should go through her first. She also called that co-worker to apologize to him for wasting his time, which I did not feel was necessary.

3. "FEI Legacy Conflicting with TFS cultue"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TFS is a good and modern company

Cons

coming from FEI trough an acquisition, TFS was not interested on merge the cultures. on the contrary most of the sales, marketing and management teams were let go.

Advice to Management

work more and better on the transitions. specially for former employees coming from an acquired company

4. "Thermo Fisher"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Billerica, MA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are lots of work to go around.

Cons

You have to work on a Saturday one day a month. Not a big deal though.

"Take the Good When You Can"

Current Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Good local health benefits for Pittsburgh employees.
    -Generous PTO with the option to buy an extra week (there is some murmurs about sick time not being a separate bucket, but compared to other companies of the same size and history, it's pretty good)
    -There is general stability of the company as a whole.
    -They've really pushed to start to help people understand their own career development. Some of the tools and speakers that are provided would be expensive to source ourselves.
    -There are allotted volunteer hours, if small. And donation-matching for certain charitable efforts.
    -The new maternity/paternity leave is impressive.

Cons

-TFS still pays below the median in Pittsburgh and it will only be more evident as larger and more progressive companies come to the area. Having good health insurance is great and I am grateful, but it isn't as attractive to younger employee that is trying to build their life and pay their student loans.
    -Annual raises are abysmal and below even typical COLA, so employees are constantly moving laterally to try to get ahead. This means that there are rarely people that want to improve their current roles past what it would take for them to move to another role.
    -The facilities are in the middle of nowhere and there is no public transit access, so you must have a car. This alienates a portion of viable candidates that aren't interested in the expense of a vehicle or can't afford it. Pittsburgh's budding metro area will only propel young professionals to have a lifestyle without a vehicle and look elsewhere.
    -There are silos and divides everywhere that leads to very few people that are cross-functional. There is animosity between those employees whose work is considered more transactional and those whose work is considered analytical. The push is to consolidate the transactional work without really thinking or validating that those employees are producing the majority of the viable results. When things go wrong, there are no subject matter experts to work through the deltas. And something always goes wrong.
    -The push for updating tools is commendable, but the tools that are being updated are the least important. There are inventory and order-intake tools that are decades old, but the company is focused on a facebook-like communication tool. Why?
    -Diversity is touted, but hardly practiced as the band level increases.

Advice to Management

-If there is any contingent that is going to be in Pittsburgh in the future, it is important to instill trust into those employees that are integral to the processes that have been in place. The median age in most departments is alarming. Who is left to impart the knowledge to to actually complete tasks and not just analyze how efficiently they're being completed?
    -Better raises mean happier employees that want to make their departments better and more productive.
    -ERGs are awesome, but only if their values are being practiced throughout the company. Diversity is more than just a word.

6. "Administrative Professional"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits. International Company

Cons

Can't think of any. Good company

7. "Complex Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

International company, good products, good people, opportunity to learn and travel across the world, interesting matrix, multicultural environment

Cons

Manual processes or lack of processes, fire drills, complex matrix, people decision, too focused on quarterly management compared to the longer run

Advice to Management

Improve processes, make the right decisions for the company and the people, leverage the matrix opportunities rather than continue complicating it

8. "OK place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Island, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Island, NY

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, nice area. Management was good

Cons

My commute was too long

9. "OK"

Current Employee - Scientist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Scientist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a big growing company to work with.

Cons

Lot of management layers. Politics.

10. "Not the most employee friendly organization"

Former Employee - Industrial Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Industrial Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fairly stable. Will acquire profitable companies.

Cons

Problems with delivery with my Division that just got worse over the years. Weren't meeting customer needs.

Advice to Management

Focus on meeting customer's needs and on-time delivery.

Showing 520 of 1,788 reviews