Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Great Company, Great Job, Great Benefits, Witchy Boss"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my job, work-life balance, the compensation, facilities, my co-workers, company culture, and the company in general.

Cons

I heard a lot of criticism about my work and performance but little to no praise for it. First example, my manager was out sick for a couple of days. On my initiative, I posted a large note outside her cube to let people know. When my manager came back in, she was flabbergasted that I had done such a thing. Yes, she used the word, flabbergasted. She chewed me out for about 10 minutes. She claims that she told me not to do that before, but I do not remember the conversation. Second example, my manager called my work on an operator manual a failure. Yes, she used the word, failure. She pointed out specifics. I pointed out some things I did correctly in the document, but that did not seem to matter to her. When I asked my manager why I did not receive any compliments from her about my work, she did offer one, but I have not heard another compliment since.

I did not feel that I contributed to the company much. For example, my manager read and provided feedback on everything I wrote including some of my email messages. Although her feedback was valuable and improved the documents, I feel that things might have gone faster if she simply did the work herself. She often complained about how much time she spent redlining my work.

I did not feel that I was allowed to think for myself or take initiative in solving problems. For example, my manager asked me to resolve a conflicted files problem in our software versioning and revision control system. I asked a co-worker to help me, and we spent some time on the phone to resolve it. He seemed happy to help me, and we solved it. Afterwards, my manager told me not to waste his time and that every work-related problem I have should go through her first. She also called that co-worker to apologize to him for wasting his time, which I did not feel was necessary.

2. "staff engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly enviornment, great work culture

Cons

poorly managed processes, benefits are not good

3. "Complex Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

International company, good products, good people, opportunity to learn and travel across the world, interesting matrix, multicultural environment

Cons

Manual processes or lack of processes, fire drills, complex matrix, people decision, too focused on quarterly management compared to the longer run

Advice to Management

Improve processes, make the right decisions for the company and the people, leverage the matrix opportunities rather than continue complicating it

"Work load high"

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

6 % 401 K match

Cons

For the past 3 years, they have been laying of people at san jose site and increasing the work load on the people left. People are also voluntarily leaving. They encourage work-life balance but they really dont. Not sure what the Management is up to.

5. "Unity Labs on site services"

Former Employee - Senior Site Specialist in Stanford, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Site Specialist in Stanford, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and fair pay. Solid worldwide company that is very stable. If you have a good site to work at then job security should not be an issue.

Cons

On site services is dependent on contracts with customers. If contract is not renewed or lost, you loose your job. Management will tend to ignore or not respond to your questions when you are on a site working alone.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with new hires that onsite services is based on a contract and you may loose your job if contract is lost for any reason.

"meh"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Less than a year)

Pros

flexibility, great work-life balance, occasionally interesting projects, some good people to work with.

Cons

lack of vision and organization. constant layoffs. confusing/confused middle management.

Thermo Fisher Scientific Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Content Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. Our employees are actively engaged in the work they are doing as they continue to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer... More

"Seek the truth."

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with a lot of bright individuals where you are constantly learning from one another. They offer various remote positions.

Cons

Their is no work-life balance. You have to be able to work a lot, including weekends just to show that you actually do care about the company regardless of how many weekends you've worked already. Pay is not as good as you would hope.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring managers that care about themselves and stop letting go of managers that actually do care about the business, and not just for personal gains.

Thermo Fisher Scientific Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Content Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We take constructive criticism very seriously. Employees are dedicated to our mission and know their work has a direct impact on the world’s... More

8. "Culture of R&D job"

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

They are OK with radical ideas as far as R&D projects especially product developments . They are also willing to spend money on it

Cons

Maybe the pay is not as good as high tech but it is steady

"Thermo is a good employer but expects a lot for little reward"

Current Employee - Field Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Field Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large Company, Company recognition, local, scientific, good products

Cons

lack of support, no way up the ranks, poor pay

Advice to Management

hire from within the company to fill leader/manager positions

"No insights and no future."

Former Employee - XOXO in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - XOXO in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large organization, good benefits. Good technologies and a lot of great people to learn from.

Cons

Low salaries, too much bureaucracies, useless rules and processes. Welling to spend 100K to save $50 or outsource a system to save $10 off $1000, but not give employees a good raise. PMD (annual review) is useless, frustrating and demeaning. Management will always find a way to not give a raise or give a mediocre raise.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a say in their job. Listen to useless survey results and stop wasting money on no so important issues. Concentrate on employees, not just saving money.

Showing 46 of 1,908 reviews