Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO, and Director Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Inflexible to work life balance solutions in some instances (in 116 reviews)

• Being a public traded company, the bottom line is tantamount to upper management who get serious monies for their efforts (in 64 reviews)

1. "Good place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, lots of resources available to employees

Cons

Lots of steps in processes, too many obstacles just to get approval

"Great Company, Great Job, Great Benefits, Witchy Boss"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my job, work-life balance, the compensation, facilities, my co-workers, company culture, and the company in general.

Cons

I heard a lot of criticism about my work and performance but little to no praise for it. First example, my manager was out sick for a couple of days. On my initiative, I posted a large note outside her cube to let people know. When my manager came back in, she was flabbergasted that I had done such a thing. Yes, she used the word, flabbergasted. She chewed me out for about 10 minutes. She claims that she told me not to do that before, but I do not remember the conversation. Second example, my manager called my work on an operator manual a failure. Yes, she used the word, failure. She pointed out specifics. I pointed out some things I did correctly in the document, but that did not seem to matter to her. When I asked my manager why I did not receive any compliments from her about my work, she did offer one, but I have not heard another compliment since.

I did not feel that I contributed to the company much. For example, my manager read and provided feedback on everything I wrote including some of my email messages. Although her feedback was valuable and improved the documents, I feel that things might have gone faster if she simply did the work herself. She often complained about how much time she spent redlining my work.

I did not feel that I was allowed to think for myself or take initiative in solving problems. For example, my manager asked me to resolve a conflicted files problem in our software versioning and revision control system. I asked a co-worker to help me, and we spent some time on the phone to resolve it. He seemed happy to help me, and we solved it. Afterwards, my manager told me not to waste his time and that every work-related problem I have should go through her first. She also called that co-worker to apologize to him for wasting his time, which I did not feel was necessary.

3. "Complex Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

International company, good products, good people, opportunity to learn and travel across the world, interesting matrix, multicultural environment

Cons

Manual processes or lack of processes, fire drills, complex matrix, people decision, too focused on quarterly management compared to the longer run

Advice to Management

Improve processes, make the right decisions for the company and the people, leverage the matrix opportunities rather than continue complicating it

"meh"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Less than a year)

Pros

flexibility, great work-life balance, occasionally interesting projects, some good people to work with.

Cons

lack of vision and organization. constant layoffs. confusing/confused middle management.

Thermo Fisher Scientific Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Content Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. Our employees are actively engaged in the work they are doing as they continue to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer... More

"Seek the truth."

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with a lot of bright individuals where you are constantly learning from one another. They offer various remote positions.

Cons

Their is no work-life balance. You have to be able to work a lot, including weekends just to show that you actually do care about the company regardless of how many weekends you've worked already. Pay is not as good as you would hope.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring managers that care about themselves and stop letting go of managers that actually do care about the business, and not just for personal gains.

Thermo Fisher Scientific Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Content Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We take constructive criticism very seriously. Employees are dedicated to our mission and know their work has a direct impact on the world’s... More

"Thermo is a good employer but expects a lot for little reward"

Current Employee - Field Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Field Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large Company, Company recognition, local, scientific, good products

Cons

lack of support, no way up the ranks, poor pay

Advice to Management

hire from within the company to fill leader/manager positions

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lot of challenging business opportunities to learn from.
    Large global footprint business-wise but small IT team. Therefore lot of cross functional knowledge to gain and collaborate on.
    Very aggressive Organization. Lot of M&As and hence environment is almost always dynamic.
    You will be given opportunities to work on different technologies irrespective of your previous association of other technologies.
    Good collaborative teams.
    Good benefits package with 1-1 match on 401(k) upto 6% from beginning of your employment. 5% discount on ESPP. STD, LTD, Life insurance, Medial, Dental and Vision insurances at industry standard. They do not provide RSUs.
    PTO is also negotiable at your initial job offer. Typically give 15 days for the first year. There are two floating holidays apart from the standard national holidays.

Cons

Fresh graduates(especially MBA) are straightaway got into management roles via their OLDP program irrespective of zero experience which is good for University graduates but not for the people already working with years of experience who have to report to the fresh graduates.

Very tough to get promoted.

Career development or growth is only good for certain roles. Not uniform application all over the board.

Lack of transparent communication. Typical corporate political environment.

HR is there just for the namesake and admin work. More of a Rubber-stamp unit.
    Salaries are subject to your initial negotiation but typically paid on the lower end of spectrum for the industry standard.

Advice to Management

Please promote your valuable experienced resources in equal proportion to bringing in the OLDP graduates to the management positions.

Please be more transparent about your communications to your employees. Employees would want to hear from you directly than through office rumors.

Please apply the career growth plan uniformly across the board using the same measuring parameters.

"Thermo Fisher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have decent discounts for employees

Cons

The downside to This company is communication, there is very little communication between departments as well as People that loaf off all day

9. "Be careful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice technology and some good engineer

Cons

Lot of politics, poor pay, management only concern the P/L bottom line.
    The old timers were layoff and fresh new associate are taken over many positions

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well, listen to us and pay well

10. "Decent Workplace"

Current Employee - Associate Chemist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Chemist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co workers and a new building site. Coworkers are willing to help and are friendly. Normal work hours and great entry level jobs.

Cons

Upper management is only looking out for themselves. Compensation is below the average of the rest of biotech companies in the bay area.

Advice to Management

Understand the processes that are performed by manufacturing and qc. Reward your employees with extra curricular activities. More team building events.

Showing 18 of 2,023 reviews