Thermo Fisher Scientific "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Thermo Fisher Scientific Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 9, 2020

3.6
Thermo Fisher Scientific President, CEO Marc N. Casper
Marc N. Casper
1,397 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Work - life balance can be improved(in 192 reviews)

• "Blatant racist mentality for some people working here which makes you wonder if upper management is also or chooses to ignore it(in 92 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good place for work and career development."

Current Employee - Control Room Operator in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of learning opportunities, good pay (even better if you don't mind overtime), work is mostly none labor-intensive, and plenty of opportunity for upward and lateral movement within the company.

Cons

Lots of hours, but for the person that is seeking overtime, that's a good thing. The company is seemingly top-heavy and upper management seems a little too capable of bad decision making. It seems that the worst position here is actually as a supervisor. The pay increase isn't necessarily higher than that of a lead and their jobs seem significantly more stressful.

Advice to Management

Increase supervisor pay and night-shift differential.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2020-01-10
  2. "senior management lacks vision and direction"

Former Employee - Scientist in Fremont, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

free coffee, new building with lots of instruments to learn

Cons

senior management makes poor decisions due to lack of experience in the industry they are in. focus is on the wrong things (bulletin boards, politics, unrealistic goals) and not in the right areas (having a full product pipeline, retaining top talent, focus on real cost saving initiatives). Promotion is only given to politically skilled individuals and much of the metrics data is finessed to look better to upper management

Advice to Management

focus on your top talent and try to reach out more to non-political people closer to the product line.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-10-22

"Upper management needed. Not a bad alternative to unemployment."

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary/benefits. Regional managers and team are mostly excellent.

Cons

1. Management. Since the turn of the year upper management has been forcing more and more paperwork down our throats. It is to the point where we spend 30% of our time at a computer. The software is miserable and dysfunctional. After lots of problems and complaints, upper management decided to release a service pack to make it more time consuming rather than fix the bugs and time waste. 2. No Communication. The company has had multiple logistics nightmares this year in which the regional managers were not informed until their engineers started complaining. Chronically short staffed and customers of course take this out on engineers. 3. Completely disorganized company. You can not believe the disorganization and dysfunction. We have had lots of engineers from other large corporations come over and be shocked at how ridiculous it is. New employees take 6-9 months to start training and contributing, unless they quit first. 4. Morale. Morale is so low at this point that there will be large employee turnover. Only ones that will stay will be the ones that don't do much and like that they can get away with it.

Advice to Management

Help your employees serve customers. Support your employees rather than attacking us. Perhaps even try to figure out what it is we do? Organize, organize, organize to stop wasting millions of dollars every year. Honestly, just leave so we can get decent management.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-09-05

"Specific to Field and Safety Instrument Business Located in Tewksbury MA only"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tewksbury, MA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

All the good things being part of Thermo Fisher Corporate, including good pay, benefit, PTO, education assistance etc.

Cons

This site in Tewksbury MA is toxic. Fundamental reason is the products are all in declining cycle, no corporate investment but a lot of corporate pressure to meet sales goal. Crazy turnover in upper management, especially in marketing. Upper management cannot find a solution to solve all the problems, and they are not even trying to solve problems at all. To protect themselves, they have to point finger and find scapegoat for the bad situation.

Advice to Management

No much. This business unit is going to dye, and no one can save it. Move to another business unit within Thermo as quickly as possible.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-08-19

"Executive Assistant...worst company I’ve ever worked for!! RUN!!"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time

Pros

Great parking, good pay! Great cafeteria. New building.

Cons

• If you enjoy being part of a group of catty gossipy admin women, then this is the company for you. People say you get that anywhere you work, but nope I’ve never witnessed it quite like here! • the upper management, or “4th floor” employees, are extremely rude, act well above others, and closed to new ideas. • their only goal is to acquire as many smaller companies, to make as much money as they can - which I’m sure is the end goal for many businesses, but the over matrixed environment (the many companies rolled into one) makes working there unjustifiably insane. • there is NO work/life balance • HR is bias and not at all supportive if there is an issue with management. I have seen this work against people in many situations. • CEO is one of the most over paid CEO in MA, and the BOD are pissed! Look it up, public knowledge. Greedy!

Advice to Management

Your HR group is horrendous!!! From the business partners, to the hiring process! I’ve never witnessed anything more unprofessional in my working career. I helped interview executive assistant candidates, and then heard nothing but “unrelated” reasons why they weren’t a good fit for the job! Made me embarrassed to think that’s the hiring process I was once a part of. Shameful!

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-06-19
  6. "Better than my worst but still concerning"

Current Employee - Distribution QA Inspector

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits as far as medical, PTO Good opportunities for involvement Good for people who like to work on process improvements and like to be on their feet Bonus

Cons

Blatant racist mentality for some people working here which makes you wonder if upper management is also or chooses to ignore it A lot of promises for growth but not for everyone, bias Raises and pay are subpar compared to other big companies Say they want people with degrees and have plans for you but won't pay up A lot of pull for people who have been there for a while

Advice to Management

Hold your employees to act professionally at work, mean what you say and take time to keep the employees doing the best.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-05-31

"Manufacturing"

Former Employee - Scientist in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good resume builder. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Don’t work in Manufacturing. Very poor work life balance with minimal tolerance for errors. Expectations are impossible to achieve without compromising stress. Working extremely hard results in little or no recognition. Management only cares about money, and leads/supervisors show no appreciation for hard work. Company events and extracurricular activities are impossible to attend without impacting production and consequently getting reprimanded. Additionally, upper management only focuses on high level issues, regardless of the impact they have on the floor. When operators try to provide feedback, their ideas are met with no cooperative efforts. Many of the supervisors and leads will talk poorly about their employees behind their backs as well. Trust nobody. I would recommend avoiding this department as a whole.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy and care more about your employees and what they have to say.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-06-04

"Solid place to work."

Former Employee - Engineer, Electrical in Liverpool, NY

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Willing to pay for training like no other I have worked for; if justified on PMD. Wages competitive. Work home life PTO flexibility. Yearly Bonuses. R&D slow paced and methodical. Solid OEM's with solid revenue streams.

Cons

Healthcare plans migrating to lower and lower tiers with higher and higher deductibles. Higher levels of management control major projects. Yearly reviews (PMD's) getting progressively worse and more time consuming and painful. Little chances of job migration at small business units; need to move around for opportunities. Corporate level mandates from HR and upper management by those trying to make a name for themselves bringing failed ideas from other companies to a very solid business cause disruption.

Advice to Management

Find the best ways to shield the employees from upper level corporate mandates which distract from efficiency/waste time. Push for better healthcare with lower deductible plans to corporate.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-02-05

"No culture what so ever at Thermofisher"

Current Employee - Scientist II

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to learn new technologies and advance in the biotech industry with new innovation products.

Cons

Upper management no self development goals for employees and no sense of direction. Only survive if the product makes them money they will invest, but does not care about your self growth within the company.

Advice to Management

Care more for your employees.

Thermo Fisher Scientific2019-01-21

"Living in the past"

Current Employee - Chemist in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of room for improvement if they’re ever ready for it

Cons

Lack of upper support from management team, especially upper management. Clinging to old ideas and ways of working, fear of change in an industry that will swallow them without innovation. Painful timetables for reinvesting in itself. Known repudiation for non-competitive compensation.

Advice to Management

Look and listen for opportunities to improve

Thermo Fisher Scientific2018-12-28