Thetus Reviews | Glassdoor

Thetus Reviews

Updated Oct 25, 2019

2.4
Thetus CEO Danielle Forsyth (no image)
Danielle Forsyth

"A great place for me right now"

I have been working at Thetus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Thetus has been a great place to build on my career in my late twenties. While the day-to-day work can be stressful, the challenges keep me on my toes. This is what keeps me engaged and wanting to come back for more. I have taken advantage of Thetus' education benefit, which allowed me to take several classes at PSU to support my future career goals. As many others have said, the people I get to work with... here are amazing! I consider many of my coworkers to be good friends, which is a nice feeling. The open work environment is fun, especially when the Nerf guns come out. I'm not a pet person, but I do enjoy seeing the office dogs roam the floor throughout the day. And I definitely take advantage of the free beer and pool table!

Cons

The work I do feels a bit thankless at times, but that's been true of most places I've worked. I don't feel like I have a clear vision of where the company is headed in the next few years. The CEO openly shares information about our immediate future at company lunches, but I would like to hear more about our longer-term plans.

Advice to Management

Keep providing awesome benefits & perks! Take the time to make your team members feel appreciated.

Thetus2015-05-28
  2. "Avoid this CEO at all costs."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Thetus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy job. if you are a slacker, you can get away with doing little to nothing.

Cons

The CEO will scream at anyone in the open / in front of other people & wants to make ALL decisions on her own. She wants worker bees, nothing else.

Thetus2019-10-25
  3. "Good people, weird management"

I worked at Thetus full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a great direct supervisor, learned a lot, and had responsibilities commensurate with my level of experience

Cons

Upper-management had an abrasive style and the company felt like it was in a precarious place

Thetus2017-04-23
  4. "No longer in business"

I worked at Thetus full-time

Pros

The employees were good people all around

Cons

Never made it out of startup mode

Advice to Management

none

Thetus2017-04-02

"Portland Proving Grounds"

I worked at Thetus full-time

Pros

Most reviews have said the people here are great. They are. Most reviews have said there are great benefits. There are, when the company is operating and money is rolling in on time. Most reviews have said the company hires a lot of tech newbies. They do, and it's a great place to learn and develop individually, and to gain the experience needed to make your next career move. It's a great location and everyone... including the leadership is a good person.

Cons

Lack of customers. Lack of product vision. Lack of communication, lack of market-value pay. Lack of sales team. Lack of marketing.

Advice to Management

Find a way to tell engineering about what they are building. The product is so complex and the uses so secretive that nobody knows the full extent of what they are doing. Make it worth their while to be there, and cut those that are not needed. Don't wait for the ones that can cut themselves to do so.

Thetus2016-02-04

"Sinking ship with a crew screaming to be saved."

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Thetus full-time

Pros

"Your coworker" is the best thing this company ever had going for it. Benefits is second. The product wasn't bad either, although so complicated nary an employee could effectively or concisely describe it or its business value to a stranger.

Cons

Not enough space to list them all. Major problem has been the CEO, both former and current. All company problems and the current state of things stem from the lack of transparency, trust in employees to get the job done correctly, company focus and direction, product inspiration, leadership from the top, and planning.

Advice to Management

If you think you can succeed as is, you're wrong. Current and former employees can see it, why can't you? Shut the doors, take time to determine company values, mission, goals, and strategies. Don't forget to evaluate how YOU can and should positively impact employee performance and moral. Then, and only then, if you still think you can effectively run a business, hire new staff to avoid baggage and bad blood. Only... then do you truly have a chance to make something great.

Thetus2016-02-24

"Slow Demise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Thetus full-time for more than a year

Pros

In many respects Thetus is a company that is a solid start as you begin your career. While there are many employees at Thetus who have been there for 3-5 years Thetus is a good place to get your feet wet and strengthen your skill set.

Cons

All of the problems that Thetus Corporation has faced during my time with the organization stem from one primary issue: a supreme lack of communication. Management has been atrocious when it comes to conveying necessary information to employees, which has led to a great deal of employee dissatisfaction. Employees are dissatisfied with the fact that the direction of the company is always questionable at best.... This dissatisfaction has intensified due to management not conveying that the company was facing sever financial hardships that led to a mandatory company-wide unpaid furlough from late August until early December 2015. The furlough in question was announced at the last minute, leaving Thetus employees with no opportunity to plan for this hardships. During this furlough medical benefits were not paid for 30 days, yet employees were still expected to work part-time schedules. It appears that the Human Resources/Operations team took the steps needed to reinstate the medical benefits days after the lapse occurred only for management to sit on it for a month. Management, in turn, would not answer questions concerning when the medical benefits would be reinstated, often coming off as belligerent when the subject was brought up. As a result since September 2015 Thetus has lost at least 23 - 25 employees because of these issues. Many of the employees that left were employees who had been with Thetus for some time. Management did not thank these employees for the work that they did nor thank employees who stuck with them through the furlough months. Thetus is currently in the midst of a 30-day mandatory unpaid furlough due to the company not having the funds to pay employees. This furlough was conveyed to us out of the blue on a workday morning. They literally sent the employees that were in the office home at 9:30 am because they could not afford to have us in the office! This announcement also took place during the Christmas/New Year's holiday vacation period at the end of December. There were only 8-10 of us in the office; everyone else was basically told that they would not be coming back to work anytime soon VIA EMAIL while they were on vacation with their families! While the previous CEO has stepped down from their role the new CEO has seemingly continued some of the problems that plague Thetus. The new CEO has stated that they were supposed to start with Thetus in December 2015 but opted not to after discovering the company couldn't pay them. We, as employees who haven't been getting paid as we should have been and actually lost our medical benefits for a period of time, should not be OK with the fact that new management sees the problems at hand and won't address them until his needs are met! It completely discredits the needs of the employees who have had to endure this hardship! There has been a great deal of "dead air" as of late, with no information about what is going on and where the company is headed being shared with employees. It has been stated in the last week or so by management that they would be deciding which employees are deemed necessary to bring back when the company has funds to pay some salaries again. Who these employees will be is uncertain and that prognosis has not gotten any clearer. This lack of information has, of course, led to rumor-mongering and even more key employees leaving. As it currently stands employees have been told that Thetus has 10 months to turn itself around and make a profit. Meanwhile many of us are in a state of limbo, working other jobs and/or getting unemployment while wondering if and when we'll be brought back and what Thetus will ask all of us to do to further cut costs. On top of that it seems that there are no real prospects lined up or plans being crafted to get Thetus past 8 - 10 months and into a realm of profitability. Management has actually put it back on the employees to come up with ideas to keep the company afloat! The lack of communication has made for an increasingly negative work environment, one built on distrust and a lack of faith in the company that continues to grow and push employees away in waves. I cannot in good conscience say that there is a future for Thetus at this juncture.

Advice to Management

Management needs to exercise legitimate transparency. Even with new management coming in it seems that, at the end of the day, if you do not ask a series of questions that you won't get any information - and you may not get much when you do ask questions. Employees need to legitimately know where they stand. Will we all have the opportunity to return? If so when? If not who will be returning? Will we be laid off... and given some form of severance if the company decides not to bring us back? These are still questions that management will not address and answer, probably because they have no plan in place and expect us to concoct one. Last, but not least, if the company is going to go under PLEASE let employees know within 60 - 90 days of closure. Please be courteous enough to give us the respect we earned for sticking with you through all of this and give us the opportunity to get our personal affairs in order before the company ceases to exist. We are at least owed that.

Thetus2016-01-29

"Ghost Town"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Thetus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Mass exodus. Virtually no one left in the company.

Thetus2016-02-16

"Great place to work for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Thetus full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the work I get to do here. I probably have more opportunities to learn here than other places. due to the diversified work. The other engineers know their stuff. The work environment is very fun. Even though there have been tough times lately, 2016 looks like it could be a turn around year of things go right. Hopefully, with the addition of our new CEO and management we will be a successful team going forward.

Cons

There has been a flood of people leaving due to lack of business, recent furloughs, and being asked to do more work or take on more responsibility without the associated increase in pay. The work environment has been chaotic for the people who stay. The work seems rushed and unorganized at times. Many people seem demoralized and do not seem to care for their job (I am not one of them).

Advice to Management

Try to stabilize the company. I do not mind people leaving, but I would rather everyone who does not want to be there leave at once than deal with this constant trickle of employees leaving as they find new work while complaining, trash talking, or showing general lack of interest in their job. Ensure that talent that wants to stay are compensated properly so they do not leave. I wish I had advice on how to... accomplish this.

Thetus2015-12-29

"Lack of Solid Business Plan has Doomed Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Thetus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, markedly improved engineering culture, good work/life balance

Cons

Company is headed for hard times because it doesn't know who its customer is or what problem its product solves. Amazed that it has lasted as long as it has.

Advice to Management

Get a solid business plan together and share it with the whole company. Employees should not have a hard time explaining who the customers are, what problem the product solves, or where the revenue comes from.

Thetus2015-10-03