Things Remembered Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Lisa Gavales

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Rewarding job helping nice customers find the perfect gifts, engraving is fun as well (in 15 reviews)

• The only real good thing about this company is the employee 40% discount (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Single coverage training time is too short (in 61 reviews)

• No breaks, however we get paid for our meal breaks we are unable to really sit down and relax or enjoy a hot meal (in 39 reviews)

1. "Cerritos Location"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Things Remembered part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with such great people, who made working more fun. I loved that we were giving a personal touch to make gifts more memorable.

Cons

After holiday hour season, hours drastically declined

2. "Working for Things Remembered was way too stressful than it needed to be. Expected to handle a lot for VERY little pay."

Former Employee - Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I worked at Things Remembered full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did enjoy coming up with cute and unique sayings to engrave.

Cons

Expected to do so much work on single coverage. And then management gets upset wen you're numbers are not good.

Advice to Management

Take the time to actually train your employees. Stop expecting your workers to do the work of 5. Have more people on the sales floor so engraving doesn't suffer.

3. "Challenging and always new things to do"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Engraver
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Engraver

I have been working at Things Remembered part-time

Pros

40% discount. Helping customers with finding the perfect gift for any occasion. In my experience, friendly coworkers. Listening to the customers' stories about what they are looking for.

Working here, you gain a skill which you would not get in any other retail environment. Including engraving, I have found that I have more skill now as a sales associate because of the time spent explaining product to the customer. I get to know some consumers on an almost personal basis while working, and it is easy to enjoy that aspect of the job.

It is for creative and machine minded people. You get to express your creativity - within boundaries, of course. By saying that I mean you can work on the engraver and process the inscription to the way you like within the limits set and help the customer write the right message on their item by suggesting things in the booklet of special characters or just finding the right wording to put on it.

I got a bonus for the store making the month of August. I don't know if they do that all the time, but I sure liked it!

Cons

Always a new store set. Low pay for being on single coverage all the time while you have to sell, maintain the store, do floor sets, engrave, process paperwork, and work on online orders. Little to no training - this was only my second job and the manager had me close on like the 7th day, two of those days being under training of someone who was a new part time worker. Gossipy.

I have a disability, and, on two occasions, it was mentioned in an illegal way. The first was the Training Manager. She said, "Is that the ____________ girl? I don't like her being here". And one of my coworkers actually said something to me about it one time. She said, "I don't think you are fit to be working here. I used to be a therapist so I've seen these things." I reported her to the manager, and she gave her a disciplinary action. It's nice to know that people can stick up for you, but I've begun searching for another job.

All the employees - including the one who said that to me - are, for the most part, nice, but they seem tired of their jobs like they are put off by it now. One girl wanted to spend time with her husband before he got discharged to go to Afghanistan, but she didn't contact the manager until about 9 days after he had gone.

Advice to Management

Don't expect all the engraving to be done while we are on single coverage for the night shift. No one wants to stay alone at night and finish an order that doesn't have to get done until afternoon the next day when consistently there is double coverage the next morning . It is a team effort. Have realistic expectations about sales goals. To DMs : don't be confused by an overtly friendly facade. A person can be a wolf in sheep's clothing.

4. "Not the Best"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Things Remembered part-time

Pros

The company was a good company to work for they had good benefits and cared about their employees.

Cons

The staff at my particular location were horrible the manager took everything personally and had no interest or care for others lives, she used people and when they finally had enough and told her no she took them off of the schedule. She wasn't a good manager she had never been a manager and lacked the skills to perform her job without being biased.

Advice to Management

No advice to management but advice to corporate find a new manager and clean house that store needs help.

5. "Great experience!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Things Remembered part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are flexible hours working at TR and the staff was always very friendly and helpful. Engraving was intimidating and first but the training was excellent.

Cons

Pretty busy during holiday time which made scheduling less flexible, also felt short staffed sometimes which was frustrating and stressful.

6. "A good experience; however, not one that I would like to replicate."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Engraver
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Engraver

I worked at Things Remembered part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I acquired many skills that I never would have had without working in a retail environment, and gained a respect for retail workers.

Cons

Scheduling was often hectic, as with any mall job, and I was often asked to stay much longer than my original shifts due to seasonal employees not showing up or being late quite often.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the scheduling is done when it needs to be done. Your employees, part-time or otherwise, deserve to know what their schedule will be two weeks in advance, not the day they are supposed to work. You won't keep good employees by treating them as though they are tools.

7. "Seasonal Engraver/Production Asst Manager"

I worked at Things Remembered part-time

Pros

Great concept, great ideas for personal gifts

Cons

Very diffcult home office, disorganized shipments and online process is awful. 15% of online sales are lost

Advice to Management

Automation, you need better processes, bar codes on merchandise, better LP and better pickup space for Christmas

8. "Working for TR"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Things Remembered part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engraving is fun. Selling is more personal as you are helping people with big life events such as their wedding or smaller life events like birthdays. But each order is personal and you get to meet people.

Cons

Extremely outdated tech. Corporate doesn't seem to know squat about marketing and what actually goes on at the store level. I've worked at 3 separate locations and each location has a very big gossip problem. Managers aren't well trained and district managers are condescending and indifferent to associates. Systems are changed and overcomplicated to try and make company more successful. All it does is slow things down.

Advice to Management

Get some leadership training, learn how people work, and treat employees better.

"Sales Associate"

I have been working at Things Remembered part-time

Pros

Fun, Uplifting people, Great managers

Cons

Pay is not that good, not a lot of room to move up in the company.

10. "So so"

I have been working at Things Remembered full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonus for making sales, mall hours, fun job

Cons

Way too much paperwork, that's unneeded and useless, high turnover, low salary, single coverage