Things Remembered Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Nelson Tejada

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Being on single coverage has its down side as well (in 67 reviews)

• No breaks, however we get paid for our meal breaks we are unable to really sit down and relax or enjoy a hot meal (in 39 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carbondale, IL

I worked at Things Remembered (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working here, this is a great company to work for. I had a wonderful staff to work with.

Cons

There was nothing I didn't like about working here. I left so I could help take care of my mom when she had breast cancer.

2. "Hard work"

Pros

Good customer interaction You really get to know them

Cons

Always alone. Awful holidays

3. "Incredible Experience"

Current Employee - MIT in Long Is City, NY
    Current Employee - MIT in Long Is City, NY

Pros

I just started working with this company, as I start as a newbie right at a holiday peak week, i have had a privilege of working side by side with the VP of stores. She has been puting shipment away climbong ladders taking out trash, teaching myself and others the ropes, selling and directing the team. I am incredibly impresses and privilaged to work for a company that has such amazing servent leaders from the VP to the Regional and corporate trainers. I look forward to my future!

Cons

Its complicated business. One i am excited to learn more about.

Advice to Management

Keep being you!

4. "Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Things Remembered part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was great to work with so many different people and help create lasting memories.

Cons

The management is awful and make part time employees work full time hours without the benefits. On my first day of the job with no training, the manager left me in the store alone for 5 hours without showing me how to use the engravers or register. I quit after finding out this manager was stealing from the company and was staying clocked in when she would go shop around the mall instead of work.

Advice to Management

Better management training programs

5. "Management"

I worked at Things Remembered full-time

Pros

Family culture and bonuses are achievable

Cons

There is a heavy workload and management often doesnt visit as much as it should

Advice to Management

Be realistic about guidelines that they should follow

6. "Not the worse job , but not even close to being a great one !"

I have been working at Things Remembered part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engraving is fun to do once properly trained. They are flexible with schedules if you are in school .

Cons

The company does not treat their employees fairly. The pay is so low. There is no real lunch break . Sales Associates barely get any chance for advancements in the company. There are no full time positions offered unless you want to be a manager.

Advice to Management

Not possible unless , you are a suck up and very well known.

7. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Things Remembered part-time

Pros

Good management (store level), decent hours

Cons

single shift coverage, bad (upper level) management, too much stress on the sales associate to sell more, no commission, holiday season is the worst, minimum wage

Advice to Management

do not do single shift coverage for your sales associate employees!!!! should only be for assistant managers and managers who earn much more than sales associate. single coverage sales associate or "manager on duty" assumes the responsibilities of the manager during single shifts - if you are going to do this, at least pay us more than minimum wage for these shifts!!!

8. "Fast paced, especially during holidays."

I worked at Things Remembered full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced- especially during holidays. It is not uncommon to stay after midnight in order to complete orders for the next day. Good benefits. Flexible hours.

Cons

Doesn't pay very well, considering the amount of work and last minute floor setting expectations. Small payroll budget and low salaries create a high turnover rate and make it difficult to keep good employees.

9. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Things Remembered full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very well compared to other retailers

Cons

Single coverage during shifts or very few employees

10. "Very disappointing"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Things Remembered full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved engraving and creating a special gift for people loved ones, I loved the fast pace during holidays

Cons

At the time of hire I was under the impression that this company was sincere and really valued employees. I worked with this company for over a year and dedicated myself to them but constantly was made felt that I was not good enough. I would t on busy shift alone and be expected to clock out on time when dealing with hefty work loads that were honestly nearly impossible to finish because many times I was cleaning up the mess of others as well as my own work load so i clocked out everyday at the right time but continued working off the clock to make sure my work was all done. I was asked to work off of the clock several times (and tell no one) because of the strict overtime rules that were implemented on employees and would result in write ups. I never minded working off the clock because I was so dedicated and loved the team I had. I was very stressed out constantly being called on my days off by my manager at the time to be yelled at for some things like my lunch had left a bad smell in the back room, I had forgotten a small detail that almost all other employees never took care of and slipped my mind for once, that my work had been done wrong or poorly when I had truly done my best. Those calls would ruin my days off 100% and made me feel terrible. I was spoken down to in front of customers and employees and as a part of the management team I found that very disrespectful. The person Leading me would sign off on tasks that were actually done by me, I would have my leader direct me and basically leave most of the work to me but then got the credit for it. My leader would even sit in the back and watch tv and "work" every time we had a shift together because they knew I would never say anything because its not the type of person I was taught to be. I was taught to do my job my very best and other peoples work would speak for itself. However looking back I regret this because she got the credit and discredited me and made me seem to be the issue. I think I called in a total of 2 or 3 times working here because of being VERY sick or an emergency, I did anything that was asked of me even if it meant a sacrifice on my part, I never said no. Ever. Because I respected my DM so much I worked and worked in hopes of her eventually seeing I was running our store and not someone else. So many people would speak so poorly of her even the people she LOVED and thought were the best workers. Point is, a time came after a year of dedicating myself I went through a very hard time in my life where someone very close to me was diagnosed w cancer and I was going through a court process as a victim and I was very mentally drained especially with how I was being called on my days off being talked down too so poorly by my boss. I pushed through but made a "critical error" and broke company policy. I was spoken to by their LP team and was very upset at how he was coercing me to admit I had done something illegal or I had done something I had not done. I told my truth and bluntly stated I had nothing more to say because I was not going to just lie to make them happy and especially because he was insinuating I was lying and stealing WHEN I HAD NEVER done such a thing so I was not going to admit to something I did not do just to satisfy this man on the phone. I was so hurt that I was being talked down to ad bullied by someone in such a high position in the company after I had never been an issue before. Anyway I of course lost the battle and was suspended only to be called the following day by my DM (who I respected so much before this) and told that " Had i been more remorseful I would have maybe not lost my job" and I was let go OVER THE PHONE, I could not believe that she had actually said those words to me and that in such a time of need they blamed me and fired me for my mistake when I had been 100% truthful about my mistake =, I never denied that I knew I made a mistake but when your going through such a hard time in life I guess I expected some human understanding from a team that I gave everything to. I was bitter about this treatment yes, but now I have found a great job with amazing supervisors and a great team that I had and I go home everyday stress & worry free. But so many things disappointed me about this company. I could literally go on and on. However shout out to the manager in BREA for being the only human working for the company. I have been debating on speaking out about my experience for a while and now that I am settled and no longer bitter about my treatment there, im happy to share my experience.

Advice to Management

WAY too much to list