Think Big Reviews | Glassdoor

Think Big Founder and CEO Ron Bodkin
Ron Bodkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Senior Technical Recruiter"

Pros

Amazing group of really smart people who care about technology and the Big Data space. Great management support and a complete collaborative environment.

Cons

None! Company has great focus and is growing in leaps and bounds!

"Lots to learn, corporate Teradata crushed the culture"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Think Big (More than a year)

Pros

Tons to learn, the best technology you could ever work with. It's where I got my Big data engineering chops.

Cons

Teradata acquisition has caused a clash of cultures. Corporate vs startup. I loved working for Think Big, I fear that Teradata

"Perfect Work Environment"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Think Big full-time

Pros

Culture can't be beat, surrounded by talented and successful individuals, emphasis on enjoying the work place while also delivering quality results to customers. Think Big really is the best work environment I could ask for. Competitive pay.

Cons

If you hate fun don't work here. If you hate being uplifted by talented people definitely don't work here. No cons, honestly.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Good Place to learn and apply big data technologies"

Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Think Big full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to play with big data technologies. Have lots of good senior architects from whom one can learn a lot. Teams are very closely knit.

Cons

There is no annual bonus compensation for engineers which is a big downer. Think Big is a great place to learn but no opportunities to grow here. The middle management hardly listens and understands the engineers career aspirations. Good place for couple of years to learn but no growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Consider bringing in annual bonus for engineers. Give opportunities for engineers to grow in the company.

5. "Great Company to learn and grow with"

Current Employee - Staff Data Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Data Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Think Big full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Think Big for almost a year. The experience has been very rewarding - there hasn't been a single day when I didn't learn something new, very steep learning curve (I like to say almost a straight line), great mentors who care about you and your career, chance to work with some of the most innovative companies in the world, get hands-on experience with latest big data technologies, participate in seminars, big data conferences, limited travel (YES, we only travel when needed, not every mon-thu like a typical consulting firm) and the list goes on....

Think Big cares about its employees, committed to building a great company culture. The company is growing at a very fast pace and recently got new office spaces in New York and Boston.

In all, if you want to work with the leaders in big data space, not scared of being on your toes and learning new technologies every day, Think Big is the place to be !!!

Cons

Development and Training Programs are not yet properly defined which makes it hard to get approval/sponsored for professional development courses/certifications. The management is trying to solve this problem and will hopefully have well-defined policies for career enhancement opportunities soon.

"Glad to be part of the journey!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Think Big full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team is comprised of industry leaders working on cutting edge projects at fantastic clients. The client list is truly amazing for the size of the company. It is not often in technology that you get opportunities to help large corporations transform their business.

Internally the company is comprised of top notch employees. Hiring is focused on great people first then technical skills - not often repeated in tech. The culture, while young, is very strong - the focus is on "work hard play hard".

Cons

Think Big Analytics is a startup consulting firm which is not for everyone, as others have mentioned there are stressful times but that is the nature of the business. Growing pains are guaranteed over the next several years and process is still being ironed out. Management is committed to solving these problems.

While this is in the "Cons" section, i would say it's really more of a guide for people considering employment, Think Big is Awesome, you just have to know what you are signing up for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Think Big Response

May 23, 2014 – Director of HR

Thank you for the feedback. The management team here at Think Big Analytics is committed to making this company a great place to work. We are growing fast, but appreciate the insights on getting... More

"Working with the industry leader."

Current Employee - Principal Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Think Big full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My colleagues are tremendous. Think Big has assembled the best minds in the industry that are fully dedicated to building a successful company.

Executive leadership has a lot of trust in their employees. This leads to a natural freedom in how we achieve results at clients.

Travel is "when needed". Unlike my previous employer, where the travel model was M-Th at all times, Think Big employees only travel to support a business or project requirement. Typical travel is between 15% and 25%.

Cons

I would like to see an accelerated plan for East coast office space. This would help support an even better culture within the company.

"Great place, smart people"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Think Big full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first thing I noticed after I started to work here was that I was surrounded by smart people. Everyone here knows what they are doing and are passionate about BIG DATA. For me, travel is less than 20% because we only travel when it is necessary. Also, the executive team try hard to make Think Big a good place to work at and plan interesting activities on Friday. It is definitely a joy to work here.

Cons

The Chicago office is still kinda small comparing to the other two offices so it is hard to plan activities here.

9. "Incredible Place of Great Minds Helping Each Other Grow in a Hot Space"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Think Big full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-A company that when you talk about it to your friends, family, strangers, whoever literally wows people
    -Cutting edge technologies and Incredibly intelligent people to grow from
    -Interesting projects that are fact paced and involve Big Data technologies
    -Fun Fridays where the company does something fun and usually memorable every Friday
    -Nice work-life balance
    -Networking potential both on the technology and business side
    -Good benefits and salary

Cons

-If you are someone that likes a large amount of structure this may not be the best place for you. Get ready to adapt to change in a fact growing start up

Advice to Management

-Quite top heavy with leadership and seniority for our size which allows for growth and experience building, but makes it difficult some times with too many chefs in the kitchen concept

10. "A technology rocket ship ride."

Current Employee - Principal Data Architect in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Data Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Think Big full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get constant exposure to new technologies (4 Hadoop distributions, numerous NoSQL services, search, distributed services, admin clients, queues, file formats, algorithms, monitoring services,...) and many new business models, and working with new people (executives, engineers & architects) all the time. We're hiring brilliant people all the time. Never a dull day.

Cons

Still growing the Boston area and the company is fiscally responsible so still looking forward to getting a local area office. Being spread out also means we have to work a lot harder to build relationships with colleagues. On average, I travel a couple times a month. This can be inconvenient and usually my personal circle can pickup the slack, there's some juggling but there's usually some flexibility and it works out. The trade off is starting new projects and the next new thing vs. constancy.

Advice to Management

Boston Office