Think Surgical Reviews | Glassdoor

Dr. In Mun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Cramp spaces"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Think Surgical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays, free snacks

Cons

Small working space for office workers with no privacy, but the the manufacturing workers have large and more private cubicles.

"Incompetent HR Department"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Think Surgical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food several times a week

Cons

Bad/incompetent HR who has no idea what technology is or how the tech people work!

Advice to Management

Tech companies most valuable assets are its tech employees. Investors in the company probably are wondering why the company is not delivering or delaying on its output. Well, treat your employees with respect. The company has broken processes-leading to increased costs which in turn lead to increased cost of their product. Get good people and retain them. Invest in core tech skills and not peripheral skills. HR is never the solution..more so in today's day and age where competition to hire the best scientific brains is intense.

"Poorly Managed Business that is Suffering - BEWARE"

Former Employee - Senior in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Senior in Fremont, CA

I worked at Think Surgical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Building, pretty furniture and carpet. The ability to sustain a business for years without earning any revenue .

Cons

The company has a lot of secrets and closed door meetings with only his buddies. Promotions are based on superior butt kissing and they don't seem to understand that people must have qualifications and experience. People are quitting left and right and all for this same reason. The business is breaking down. The company has no infrastructure and a handful of people do the best they can without any direction other than to ship robots whether they work or not. There is very little testing to verify safe operation. The investors have recently taken up residence at the facility to improve the business. The company as a whole is a disaster. The robot never seems to work the same way twice.

Advice to Management

Executive management does not have a clue on manufacturing a medical device that is safe for the patients.

"I HAD NIGHTMARES WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Fremont, CA

Pros

Free bagels on Tuesdays for the first 20 people

Cons

Working here was so bad I literally had nightmares. No room for growths, employees only had specific task so practically your a robot. no fruitful teamwork, you are hired for specific task once you are done you're useless and neglected. Imagine coming to work for a company like this everyday.

Advice to Management

Resign and let someone take over that can lead to cultivate a sustainable company and positive resources.

"Company without mission, vision & talent"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Think Surgical full-time

Pros

Do not see anyone, only location in fremont

Cons

Worst interview process, no vision and ambition. Disturbed manufacturing pricesses. Looking for talents in dimes....

Advice to Management

Open pockets for talents, respective interviewing candidates & follow up.

"Terrible place"

Former Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Think Surgical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are very little pros I can think of. If you are the type of person who likes to coast through life this maybe the place for you as long as you can handle the politics

Cons

The engineering talent as a whole was fairly low. You won't too much here and anyone who has a trace of talent seems to leave. This result is basically a company full of politicians and lazy workers. The work environment is incredible demoralizing and little to no hope actually shipping a product.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO and upper management. The current state of the company is a reflection of the lack of leadership of the CEO. You're better off starting a new company with the same goals and an entirely new work force.

"Chaotic with poor leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Think Surgical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Some of the people here are truly wonderful and extremely talented
    -Free lunches on friday

Cons

-Reactive environment focused on finger-pointing instead of finding solutions
    -No senior management leadership
    -Extremely poor communication between departments
    -Many legacy employees who are kept on well beyond their usefulness
    -Company has outgrown the building/facilities. Bathroom breakdowns are almost weekly

Advice to Management

Evaluate the "management skills" of your senior managers and department heads. Just because an employee has been around for a long time doesn't mean they should be handed a "manager" title. Experts are not always good leaders. Send them to management training so they learn how to lead, effectively communicate, and enable their team to succeed.

Stop encouraging and rewarding managers who simply push their own agendas instead of working together as a team to do what is best for the company and our customers.

"A great place for the self motivated."

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Think Surgical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can literally write your own ticket at this company. I have to say my experiences have been much better than most people report on this site. I have been given unfettered freedom to follow any avenue I wanted within the company and have had a lot of fun doing so. I can walk into the Dr. Muns office at any time and declare "I have a crazy idea..." . I have found my thoughts did not fall on deaf ears. I have been allowed to pursue my ideas and have had great experiences creating new things for the company. The benefits are good, the atmosphere is stimulating, pay raises are dependent on making serious contributions. That is why I am still hanging in here, besides, I really like my boss and the CEO. A couple of great guys to work with.

Cons

If you are a 9-5er, and want to sit in a cube just doing your job climbing the ladder, you're probably not going to be happy here. I think it's why I see so many office politics fails. Some people keep trying to play those games, but in the end, it always seems to backfire on them. This is a place for those who are bold, who take initiative, and are not afraid to admit their mistakes, learn their lessons and move on. It's a small company, and so this is not a place for those used to the typical corporate environment. If you're from that kind of environment, then a fast paced, "you're going to wear many hats" kind of place may not be for you. If you need constant direction, you're likely not going to be happy.

Advice to Management

In truth, I am not management or a CEO. I have seen what management is up against, and in all honesty, I don't think I could do a better job. I see lots of comments coming from those who find it easier to criticize than contribute to solutions. My motto - solutions, not problems.

"Worst Job Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Think Surgical (More than a year)

Pros

They pay salaries on time.

Cons

This is an organization that hires/promotes/retains highly political managers. Competent managers who try to do the right way are pushed out. Technical ability does not seems to be a necessary qualification to be promoted into management. The product quality suffers. Worker bee morale is low. Upper management does not like to hear that there are problems. He loves people who tells him what he wants to hear, true or not.

Advice to Management

To the CEO: hire managers with experience in product development. A fancy prior title is no substitution for experience gained from someone who built things by themselves. Managing mature software product is very different from building new product. You are building a challenging technical product you want people who have built same type of product before at the helm. A PhD is no substitute for real world experience. Open up communications with your worker bees so you know what is going on. Your current upper and mid-level managers will not tell you the truth. This is a complicated product and the engineering management, at all levels, is not up to the task. You still have qualified worker bees in the organization, empower them to do the right thing.

"Worst job experience ever"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Think Surgical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunch is privided on Friday's

Cons

Where do I start? Managers are trained to play politics and hold a knife on one hand. Office environment has low moral. Huge communication gap between teams. It's a start up so everyone wants to be a hero disregarding process at hand.

Advice to Management

Your actions are transparent. Do the right thing bring in real leaders and stop recruiting inexperienced fresh college grads that thinks they know everything.