Think Together Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Randy Barth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard when there is such a high turnover rate and Program leaders are expected to have more students because of (I'm assuming) a lack of substitutes (in 37 reviews)

• Depending on what site you get placed at the site coordinator can be a con (in 32 reviews)

1. "Nor for Everyone"

Pros

Part time employment
    work with children

Cons

Constantly change schedule
    every school has different needs

2. "If the classroom is where you want to be..."

Former Employee - Middle School Program Leader
    Former Employee - Middle School Program Leader

I worked at Think Together part-time

Pros

- Opportunity to get in-class experience with students
    - Establish and build relationships/trust with class
    - Golden moments when struggling students improve behavior/help out in class

Cons

- Not enough time given for daily lesson preparation
    - Students get easily bored with lessons (which are given to Program Leaders in advance), so it's difficult to keep them engaged
    - Lack of training (in my experience, I was never placed under another Program Leader to shadow them. This made things more difficult because I do not have a background in education)

3. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Substitute Program Leader
    Former Employee - Substitute Program Leader

I worked at Think Together part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with children was the best part of the job

Cons

Little hours
    Demanding and intense curriculum
    Site coordinators

Substitute Program Leaders get such a bad reputation but I think it has to do with management and training. I think the program is too demanding and expect too much out of Program Leaders with their strict rules and curriculum. I think I spent most of my time there with my Site Coordinator towering over me, wanting me to yell and correct every single "negative" occurrence. Were working with elementary kids, what do you expect? I do understand that certain actions need to be addressed but it is almost impossible to exhaust myself to meet coordinator's needs. Site coordinators have their "favorites" as far as PLs go and it makes being comfortable in your environment, hard. I was subbing at a school in which their original program leader wasn't "working out" and the coordinator insisted that this said PL did "not like her job" which is why everything was so unorganized. She said this in front of the kids. As a sub PL, I could not "clock in" until regular PLs did so, even if they came in after me. One school I only worked max 1.5 hours and it was just not worth the drive! Another school, I was left to fend for myself while the site coordinator went off-campus to take care of personal business. The PLs at this school complained about their jobs and how they were looking elsewhere, they were young kids interested in drama and turned up their noses when you needed help. We were stuck outside in the cold for over an hour and I had kids crying, saying they just wanted to go home. It was sad. Needless to say, my experience here was not a good one and I left the first opportunity that I could.

Advice to Management

I think Site Coordinators need to show Sub PLs just a little more respect. We are not teachers nor are we "just babysitters". There needs to be some sort of balance where we meet in between. It takes time to get used to a set of 25 kids and for them to get used to you. I had kids daily ask me if I would be their new PL and they hoped so because others made them not want to be in the program anymore. Just goes to show that screaming and yelling does not benefit the kids, so stop training PLs to be drill sergeants.

"Overall Review"

I have been working at Think Together part-time

Pros

great entry-level job in the education field
    loved working with middle school students

Cons

no room for advancement unless you are really close with an SC and there is space for advancment
    no wage increase
    ALOT of work for a Program Leader (no, we are not teachers!)
    bogus ELA/Math "curriculum" PL must present daily (super easy questions that do not regard to student grade level)
    not enough staff training

5. "Lead Program Leader"

Current Employee - Lead Program Leader in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Program Leader in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Think Together part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is really rewarding. I grew up in the neighborhood of the site I work at and I really want to help the kids be successful. I'm lucky to have an SC that really cares about her employees. Her constant support is what keeps me going everyday.

Cons

Definitely the pay. We are expected to do a lot during program but are also expected to do paperwork! You only get a .25 cent raise every year you work there.

Advice to Management

I'm really frustrated that so many PL's and SC's are underqualified and unprepared for the job. Its astounding to see substitute PLs that have no clue and show up just to baby sit. The QAC's aren't doing their jobs and assuring the quality of the programs. It's all about meeting crazy standards with corporate and funding which distracts them from making sure the kids are getting the help they need.

"not enough pay for the work"

Former Employee - Site Supervisor
    Former Employee - Site Supervisor

I worked at Think Together part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful work, you can build strong relationships and make positive impact on the students.

Cons

After taxes and insurance costs income is roughly $1,600 a month. It is hard to find another job to supplement income because of the timing of the job. The company is expanding faster than it can handle and many sites are perpetually understaffed, and yet they keep introducing new programs. Even though the work load for site supervisors increases there is no increase of hours or pay. There is a severe lack of training in normal program protocol such as daily paperwork, student enrollment, tracking procedures etc.

Advice to Management

Focus on training your employees on the most relevant practices and stop increasing programs before you have the staff to fill your current programs.

7. "Program Peader"

Former Employee - Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

Experience in school setting and supervising full classes, working with kids, contributing to the community, upward mobility, great networking if goal is to be teacher (get to know school district employees and often know of openings before anyone else).

Cons

Time off whenever kids are out of school (unpaid for weeks at a time), more work than can be accomplished in hour limit given so I had to do a lot of work from home (unpaid), low pay for what you do.

Advice to Management

Stop capping hours, up pay for those who are doing well

"Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Program Leader in Baldwin Park, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Baldwin Park, CA

I worked at Think Together part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This program probably makes a difference in the lives of some children. It gives them a safe place to be and it gives their parents peace of mind. It can provide the supplemental help these students need in addition to going to school.

As far as the pros of working here:
    - Self satisfaction in knowing that, if you did your best, you did something great for children.
    - Pretty decent schedule if you are in school or have another job.
    - A small team has the potential for building good relationships/ learning from your co-workers

Cons

So many.

- Pay is lower than your expectations
     - Lessons plans are cookie-cutter and not localized to your students.
     - Your Site Coordinators are not well-compensated either and it matters.
     - Program Leader dress codes demonstrate that PLs cannot be trusted to make good choices even though we expect students to do so.
     - The training only prepares you to regurgitate THINK "agreement" policies. It will not prepare you to deal with different types of students and scenarios you will face.
    - Very high turnover.

Advice to Management

I understand how important attendance numbers are. I understand how important it is to keep operating costs low. But my advice is to settle on a mission. If that mission is to help these kids, then I suggest the following:

- Invest in your employees. Pay them. Train them. Retain them. Let them grow. The turnover is bad for the kids and bad for THINK Together. This company depends on a poor economy so it will continue getting overqualified PLs every single year. These PLs will take off as soon as they can. Perhaps if they get paid better, this can be a job they would like to stay at for more than a year.
    Identify PLs that can make great Site Coordinators. What better person to run a site than one who has successfully ran a classroom? Prioritize who you already have on your team.

Make lesson plans that are relevant to the lives of your students. A little more Cesar Chavez and a lot less Christopher Columbus.

Teach empathy. Teach your students that they matter.

Let's turn this thing around. I see so much potential with THINK Together, but let's try harder.

9. "Good for College Students/No Room For Growth"

Pros

-Flexible Schedule
    -Enriching workplace
    -Good for college students

Cons

-low pay
    -no room for growth

"College Job"

Former Employee - Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Think Together (More than a year)

Pros

The hours aren't an overload if you are still going to school
    They pay a little bit better than minimum wage

Cons

There is no room for promotions
    Everyone knows everyones business
    They expect you to buy your own supplies