ThinkHR Reviews | Glassdoor

"Overall Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at ThinkHR full-time

Pros

The company culture here is great. They really try to take care of their employees and everyone is seen as family. Competitive pay and benefits, generous PTO allowance and flexible work hours. Plus, fully stocked kitchen, ping pong table, etc.

Cons

The company recently went through a significant hiring phase as part of a push for growth. This was exciting to be a part of but of course, came with some growing pains and many organizational changes occurred. Not everyone was on board with the changes, hence, some increased turnover.

Sep 21, 2017 – People Operations

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we are currently in a growth spurt and have added new members to the team, unfortunately we have lost some along the way. While we are sad to see employees leave, we... More

"Unique culture--works for me"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThinkHR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People here are outstanding--professionally and personally. Family-like culture makes straight talk easy.

Promotions from within are common.

Individuals here are given broad authority and expectation to act without a lot of review and second-guessing. Confident, knowledgeable individuals and teams here thrive. Can be trouble for the hesitant.

I have never been someplace where company values are made so prominent in business decisions. The CEO and all the way through the management chain use company values as the lens to make tough calls. It really works and drives behavior.

"I don't know" is rewarded. Makes for an interesting approach to group dynamics.

Catered lunches from local places.

Cons

The company is aggressively hiring and is thin in mid-level management positions. Makes it tough now for individual contributors. Hopefully cleared up as hiring progresses.

Location is a pro or con depending on your situation. Great reverse commute for Peninsula folks. Perfect if you live in the Tri-Valley. They recently opened a remote facility in Oakland--might help SFO folks?

It's a startup with all that comes with. No name brand chefs, commuter buses, I.M. Pei building or daycare. Stock grants are generous if you're up for that.

Advice to Management

Get the company meetings back on the calendar, I miss those!

"First Impressions"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at ThinkHR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Extremely thorough on-boarding process. Met the heads of each department and got a rundown of who they are and how they would specifically tie in with my team. Taken out for a one-on-one lunch with my department's VP (not manager, not director...VP) after just one week to see how I was settling in and get a better idea of how he could help me realize my career goals. Two weeks in and I have spoken with Pete Yozzo multiple times about the direction of the company and how important my team was to the success of their mission. Easily the best effort by the leadership of any company I've encountered in ensuring that a new hire felt comfortable and had access to the resources I needed.
    -The definition of a fun, family/team environment. The type of people you want to spend time with after work hours. A very clear determination to protect the culture from any bad or unproductive energy.
    -Extensive training library. No shortage of help in getting any questions answered.
    -Great work/life balance. I have a son and they've already shown that they understand that he is the priority.
    -Growing responsibly.
    -Lunch catered three days a week. Fully stocked kitchen.
    -You can write off this extremely positive review to still being in the honeymoon phase, but this office (Pleasanton campus) and everyone in it is nothing short of a breath of fresh air. I've worked in fun start-up environments before, but never one with as much passion and integrity. My last job couldn't have been much more stressful, and ended in a layoff after bankruptcy, sale, acquisition and merger. I couldn't be more thankful to have landed a job somewhere that I'm excited to wake up and come to every morning.

Cons

-Every company has them, but I have yet to find anything worth mentioning. If you have a good attitude and strong work ethic then you will succeed here.

Advice to Management

This company is growing fast, but responsibly, and given the new platform and other developments, the growth over the next 18 months looks to be considerable. If you can maintain this culture, there's no limit to what can be achieved.

4. "Thrill of a fast growing SaaS company in Silicon Valley"

I have been working at ThinkHR full-time

Pros

Competitive environment with a unique strategy. We are growing quickly, i've never been at a company where the product offering is so loved by its users. Everyone wants to win and is passionate about the success, the culture is really fun and intense.

Cons

Startups aren't for everyone, we work hard, we work fast and are building something great as a result. If you're looking for a '9-5 job' this probably isn't for you, dead weight sheds quickly here.

Advice to Management

Consider an upgrade to our employee benefits program and provide 401k match

5. "Growing Company with Positive Outlook"

I have been working at ThinkHR full-time

Pros

Every day is a new challenge. If you are looking for monotony this is not your place. The best part of every day is knowing something new will come my way. I feel empowered to bring my suggestions and ideas to management if I feel there is an area we can improve on. The people here are great and everyone is working toward the same goal...making this company as great as it can be. I like the open feel of the office and having a huge kitchen area is great. Everyone here is open and it has a family like feel.

Cons

Is there turnover? Yes but you should expect that with any company. Communication from management to staff is lacking but have hopes that those things will get better. If things change make sure you communicate why to the staff and as quickly as possible so there are no questions.

Advice to Management

Stick to the plan of being more open with the company.

"Not Recommended"

I worked at ThinkHR full-time

Pros

Great People (underappreciated)

Free Food

Cons

Management and Executive teams are ill-suited for their positions (friends and family of C-Level)

Retrograde vision and thoughts (old school and no innovation)

Non-SaaS background for the majority of the company (makes it hard to be successful in a SaaS market)

Management teams are not in sync and are rarely present (remote)

Office morale is negative

High Turnover

The company has not found its identity and are expanding products when they haven’t perfected the core products.

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees doing the work on the frontline (culture 101)

Bring in new talent and ideas to the Executive and Management teams (SaaS background)

Benchmark Salaries (to market value)

"Manager"

I worked at ThinkHR full-time

Pros

Some of the people were cool.

Cons

The work environment was very negative.

"Smoke and mirrors"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at ThinkHR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, free food and good benefits for a small company, as long as you don't have kids. The fun committee plans monthly pot lucks, games or other fun activities for the employees.

Cons

The building is disgusting. Management cannot make a decision on ANYTHING. High employee turnover and lack of communication creates a constant negative vibe around the office. Unprofessionalism, swearing and unattainable goals from the management team is the norm. They always find someone to point the finger at, usually marketing or engineering.

Advice to Management

Come to the office more than twice a week and focus on office moral. Try to be involved with your employees on a regular basis, not just before your weekly management meetings.

Jul 5, 2017 – People Operations

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We continue to work with our executive management team and other managers on the importance of communication and clear expectations with their... More

"Sales/SDR"

I worked at ThinkHR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, free food, cool ping pong table. Mostly positive vibe around office. Inclusive environment with AE'S and the SDR's.

Cons

Class system. Mgmt wears titles like badges - the leaders and the minions. No respect shown to anyone in sales or customer success depts

Advice to Management

Be visible full time not just last day of month or after a bad revenue meeting

Sep 21, 2017 – People Operations

Thank you for your feedback. The free food and ping pong are great perks of working at ThinkHR. We couldn't agree more that the co-workers are great, in fact it's the number one thing people say they... More

"Not Recommended"

I worked at ThinkHR full-time

Pros

Nice co-workers. Decent health insurance benefits, especially for a smaller company.

Cons

No work-life balance. Hard work gets you nowhere. The management team is inexperienced and ineffective. The word "culture" is an over used buzz word.

Sep 21, 2017 – People Operations

Thank you for your feedback. Our CEO comes from the insurance world so decent benefits are usually something we strive to offer, being small group does pose some challenges to these efforts. Everyone... More