Third Horizon Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Neville Bagot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Quality team doing some great work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My name is Matthew Pearce and I'm more than happy to put my name to this review.
    In my time at TH I've been extremely grateful to have been able to work with a very high calibre of consultants and people. I think our team should be rightly proud of our dedication to delivering for clients and the way we go about it. I've also been extremely grateful for the time and effort extended by senior leaders in developing my skills and experience over my time here.

I think our approach to work life balance is a real positive and this is supported from Directors down.

The performance cycle is well balanced and efforts to improve clarity and transparency here should only improve it in the future.

Cons

Like any workplace I've been at, there are things that can be improved, including visibility of career path (working on this at the moment), and effective management of non-client facing time. To benefit both staff and firm.

Harder to solve, but nonetheless a con, is the loss of quality young consultants to the "travel bug". Having said that, given I did the same some time back it's hard to begrudge. Hope to see you all back in the fold one day!

Advice to Management

A number of recent changes and initiatives, particularly around staff engagement, retention and gender balance are all steps in the right direction - keep at it!

"Dont believe the fluff HR reviews - this place is a mess"

Former Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very few pros but I would say that one or two senior managers do make a real effort for the well being, support and progression of the more junior consultants. Unfortunately its just not enough to outweigh the negatives

Cons

Just dont believe these overly positive reviews... nobody with TH believes them! As the real reviews point out, there are many/most who leave within 18 months with a bad taste in their mouth about TH. This is, IMHO, due to their approach of "win at all costs" and figure out how to deliver it later... which then places enormous pressure on the consultants assigned to that project. The second reason is the ruthlessness of the Directors and especially the founding Directors who are used to the attrition and frankly, care little for the staff because it is their expectation that we will leave in 18 months time anyway. The culture and engagement of consultants in here is appalling.

"Manager"

I worked at Third Horizon Consulting full-time

Pros

Great clients and some interesting work

Cons

Sydney-centric culture. I am not sure who wrote the positive review supposedly from an Associate Director from Canberra in Aug 2017. The only former Assoc Directors all walked out in unison in Feb 2017. The only person left in the Canberra office was one junior Consultant. What a statement!

Advice to Management

Tell HR to stop adding fake positive reviews. You fool no one.

"Boutique consulting firm with focus on high end work"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Canberra (Australia)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Canberra (Australia)

I worked at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Well run performance cycle, with regular promotion for those who deliver
    - Staff at all levels get high visibility of what is happening across the firm
    - They are very open to pursuing new business opportunities or lines of service
    - Third Horizon pay well relative to the Big Four - always comparable, often notably better
    - It was easy to get access to senior management (including the Managing Director, Neville Bagot) when you needed it
    - They typically do high value work with senior clients, so you can get some great exposure to the top end of town
    - They take work/life balance seriously

Cons

- If you are in a regional office (I was in Canberra), the firm sometimes struggles to bring its full capability in Sydney to bear
    - The smaller size of the company means that the firm is specialised in a few areas (e.g. utilities, public sector etc), and doesn't have the same breadth of offerings as a larger company
    - Staff turnover at a senior level was a bit too high while i was there
    - Gender balance at a senior level was a bit skewed

5. "Tremendous Opportunity"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Third Horizon provides an opportunity for you to make what you want from your time at the company. From the junior positions, you immediately get exposure to clients and are given ownership of significant chunks of work. Progression is swift if you perform, and the performance management process is particularly good. For a consulting firm, work-life balance is very positive, and the vast majority of people who work there are really friendly and nice people.

If you're looking to work with smart people and are looking for opportunities for advancement, Third Horizon is a great place to work.

Cons

Work hours can be long, and the work can be challenging, but that is to be expected from a consulting firm. If it's slow in terms of projects, it can get old doing proposals, but when the work comes, it's usually interesting and engaging.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding and moving into new practice areas. As more people are being promoted internally, the positive work culture is really able to come through.

6. "Tier 1 Clients and Opportunities for Rapid Progression"

Former Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

- Opportunity to work on interesting, high value projects with big name clients across multiple industries
    - Significant trust placed in consultants to engage with senior client stakeholders and take ownership of project deliverables
    - Meritocratic environment means that you can rapidly progress your career
    - Flat organisation structure with frequent opportunities to work alongside Directors
    - Significant focus on formalising internal training and capability development
    - Attracts high quality consultants that are great to work with
    - The firm is going through a period of growth

Cons

- Training and capability development for higher levels (Manager and up) is not as well defined as for lower levels
    - Internal document management could be better (work is in progress to improve this)

Advice to Management

Continue to drive the current growth agenda (both in terms of expanding the traditional client base and building new internal capabilities)

7. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. No silos so you can get broad exposure across all kinds of work and industries.
    2. Office culture is very relaxed and young.
    3. Enough work to keep busy but not unreasonably intense like some other consulting firms.
    4. Very structured career progression.

Cons

1. Minimal international travel. Could be a pro for some.
    2. Will not necessarily win every proposal so some of the work done pitching is "wasted". Can be a bit of a let down if you get your hopes pinned to a particular project.
    3. Limited range of clients and industries covered but is now expanding healthily.
    4. Pay is slightly less than bigger name consultancies.

Advice to Management

Keep investing into retaining talent whether it be through pay increases or culture. Doing very well so far, just need more time to grow.

"A firm with potential if senior management focus on the real issues."

I worked at Third Horizon Consulting full-time

Pros

- Significant exposure to senior client stakeholders whilst on a project
    - Junior staff generally given a lot of responsibility which promotes learning and development
    - Majority of staff are friendly, intelligent, and willing to go the extra mile when required
    - Fantastic work-life balance (especially for consulting), with a great example set by senior management
    - Significant improvements have been made to classroom style learning over the past 12 months

Cons

- Many staff appear to leave with a bad taste in their mouth
    - Highly inconsistent staff utilisation, with certain staff favoured over others for projects
    - Majority of learning is on-the-job, with limited learning and development opportunities if not utilised on a project
    - Poor document management, leading to inefficiencies and large amounts of re-work on proposals and final deliverables
    - Limited opportunity to work on areas of personal interest (i.e. being pulled onto any proposal that needs doing)
    - Appears to be a dog-eat-dog mentality at the senior levels, which trickles down the line to junior staff
    - Poor culture
    - Cliques forming at the junior levels, leading to exclusion and bullying
    - Inconsistent and poor communication
    - Limited appetite to improve issues with culture, engagement, and staff turnover
    - High turnover results in limited opportunity to truly learn from senior leaders
    - Highly sensitive and defensive senior management and HR to key issues

Advice to Management

- Develop a consistent approach to resourcing for projects, leading to greater equality for project opportunities and staff utilisation, particularly at the junior levels
    - Improve acceptance and responsiveness to staff feedback on key issues (e.g. staff engagement surveys)
    - Improve communication to staff
    - Build and nurture the alumni group and use it to help grow the business and the brand, and stop staff leaving with a sour taste in their mouth.
    - Hire in external help to rebuild the company culture, staff engagement, and HR practices
    - Review process for determining projects to bid on (i.e. stop wasting time on proposals where you don't have the capability and put additional effort into the areas you do)
    - Instead of asking "why are people leaving?", focus more on the question "how can we make it more attractive to stay?". Be more open with staff in asking why they stay, and what could lure them away
    - Seek to attract top talent (university events, career nights, etc.) and be a realistic competitor against the Big 4

9. "Good experience and career stepping stone."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Third Horizon Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Graduate and junior consultants are given a decent amount of responsibility
    - Lots of client exposure when on projects
    - Friendly colleagues who are happy to help / provide guidance
    - Great work life balance
    - Awesome new office in Sydney

Cons

- Staff utilisation is very hit and miss – some consultants are kept busy whilst others seem to ‘sit on the bench’ constantly
    - Document management system and inter-office connectivity are poor
    - Training is average, although it has improved significantly in the past year
    - At times, the efforts of staff aren't sufficiently recognised / appreciated

Advice to Management

- Continue to expand the Melbourne and Canberra practices and make sure you show your employees that they are valued

10. "Bad Taste in my Mouth"

Pros

The junior people are great.
    Good variety of work
    Great clients in a range of sectors

Cons

Most directors need a 'reality check'. A subtle culture of blame and bullying by those who should know better. I have since found out that this is more common than I realised.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror and not blame lower levels when your pipeline is lacking