Thomas Cook Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Pros
  • Some great people in this business (in 11 reviews)

• nice people, super locations, beach, sun, views (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours over and above core hours are not recognised (in 14 reviews)

• No clear direction from Senior Management (in 9 reviews)

"Lack of incentive"

Pros

The only good thing about working at Thomas cook is the people that you work with, they are the loveliest people and are alway laughing and bubbly regardless of what is going on.

Cons

Minimum wage, no incentives unless you work in a city store, people higher up make changes that are only at the interest to their pockets not their staff or customers.

Advice to Management

Think about the retail staff that do the selling and make the company the money.

"It is mentally draining"

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have a laugh with work colleagues in your branch.

15% discount of TCTO holidays, however this used to be a lot more - Thomas Cook is becoming so much more right.

Incentives, however I earn £1 per thousand. Where it used to be a lot more than that. I could walk away with £300-500 incentives in my pocket.

Providing customers with a good service and making them happy with the holiday booked.

Cons

Management - is horrific. I have never known a company to be such a shambles. Rostas are done 2 weeks before each month as per our contracts it is supposed to be 4 weeks in advance. Short staff, work 9:30-5 and you do not get a lunch break and you are NOT allowed to leave the shop even if you don't have any food or drink on you.

Treated like sheep, your just another number and easily replaced. Thomas Cook have lost a lot of valuable staff and replaced them with greggs staff. Shocking.

You are spoken down to like you are in school. The managers will you your underperforming but they don't help you to improve, they do not have any examples of what I can do to drive sales.

Advice to Management

Have a clear concise structure.

Treat your employees a lot better, you will find your company will be a lot better.

It works two ways

3. "Reaction & Panic!"

Pros

The Travel Industry is an exciting industry to be part of and therefore, by default there is a sense of love and pride in being part of one of the UK's largest travel businesses.
    It's a cliché but it is the people that make it - there are some wonderfully talented people in the business and I have always felt there has been great camaraderie within teams.

Cons

Expect to work in continual panic mode; there is no clear direction - continual switching of strategy and focus. There always seems to be a weekly reaction tactic/focus which, due to timescales and resource, naturally creates an environment of anxiety and often, inefficiency - which can be both disheartening and demoralising..
    Nothing is given time to become established to actually gauge successes and failures, thus, lessons never seem to be learnt.
    Extra hours and expected for the love of the company.
    High blame culture - understandable as resource is so light and everybody is so paniced, that objectives and deadline are often missed, so a dog-eat-dog, 'save yourself' ethos is pretty standard.
    I love this company - but it can take its toll on your health at times!

Advice to Management

Clearer strategy and an investment in the resource, tools, systems and processes to help us to deliver. We all want to succeed - there is no better feeling for staff morale than being part of and seeing both progress and results.

"Tech career? Don't bother."

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, casual dress code, OK canteen, the chance of a good holiday deal if you're lucky, the odd little perk now and then.

Cons

Appalling technology, disastrous ideas like thin clients, outsourced everything from help desk to infrastructure, no honesty, no forward planning, plenty of hot air about "roadmaps" which they never stick to, Information Security is ridiculously paranoid to the point you can't do your job, projects are delivered awfully, over time and over budget, if at all.

Advice to Management

Get the mud out of your ears and listen to the TECHNICAL people you've hired, not a bunch of dinosaurs who think that it's still acceptable to be as cheap as possible with everything.

Be open to new ideas like your job advertisements (which are lies, let's be honest) say you are, and actually DO something with them.

Be honest with what you're doing too, there is too much cloak and dagger from top to bottom.

"Poorly managed company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Given responsibility
    Left to own devices but no ultimate authority
    Fragmented business

Cons

Weak leadership
    Lack of direction and steer
    Pure interest in saving costs rather than growth

Advice to Management

Look at the future with technology and travel and invest to grow the business, otherwise will only go one way

"If you like constant change"

Current Employee - Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good staff concessions, nice office

Cons

Constant change programmes, low morale, confusing strategies, no communication with staff

Advice to Management

Communicate and be honest

"Had enough"

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A good opportunity to learn
    You can make some great friends
    Sometimes there is the opportunity to earn decent incentives.

Cons

Where do I start?
    I've been with the company almost 8 years. When I first joined I absolutely loved my job. I was so dedicated and wouldn't hear a bad word said.
    Over the years it has just got worse. Management don't care anymore, you're just a number and they aren't bothered about retaining GOOD staff.
    They expect you to work long hours and Sunday's without having a life or spending time with loved ones. All they care about is money. They don't care about their staff or their customers. You're made to feel like you aren't working hard enough. They don't reward you for the good things that you do, they're only interested in the areas you aren't excelling in and making you feel useless.
    Very hard to progress within the company. A few years ago I would have loved to better myself, nowadays not so much.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. Your staff aren't happy. If things carry on the way they are you're going to lose the majority of your people because you only think of them as numbers. We're human beings with families. Cut us some slack and don't be so greedy! Morale needs improving now before it's too late.

"Overworked and underpaid. Not allowed a life"

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Darlington, North East England, England (UK)

Pros

Concessions, can buy holidays, make some friends for life

Cons

Just handed notice in, been working there 5 and a half years too long.
    Unorganised and no regard for what's best for customers, just a money hungry machine that's lost its passion for customer service. Unrealistic targets pushing us to the bone with barely time off and constantly getting told we aren't working hard enough. Like a corporate sweatshop. Not being valued as an employee and incentives May aswel be non existent, I was top seller and dual skilled and got reduced hours, which I have to be "flexible" with. Meaning I could work 6 days and not get paid any extra. Management on all levels is the worst it's ever been. I could go on....

Advice to Management

Treat us like humans not numbers.
    Need to spend more money on paying employees rather than spending 9million on a rostering system that doesn't work.

9. "Software Development from 80th is given a new chnace"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Ghent (Belgium)
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Ghent (Belgium)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

Some really good specialist are working there, no pressure on time as result lot of free time. Good place to relax and take your time and wait for retirement

Cons

Huge list of managers that has no will to achive smth , not much care and feedback is usuall thing, hard to find anybody responsible for smth. All is left is to do nothing, be reliable and expect to become manager one day. Strategy is long term and looks not to be ever achivable

Advice to Management

Use metrics to figure out what is really happening, fire low-pereformers and reward those who performs, turn into agile organization

10. "Not a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Content Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Content Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environmnent, opportunities to move between teams

Cons

Disorganised and no defined vision

Advice to Management

Value and motivate employees more